Case I of the Concealment Table

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
The more I try to understand this situation, the more muddy it seems to me . . .

----------------------
RULE QUOTES:

A12.121 says "The Concealment Table always takes precedence over the body of the rules."

A12.122 has two bullets that were amended by the errata in J10 to read as follows:
A12.122 CONCEALMENT dr: There are two instances when a dr must be made to determine if "?" can be gained. These are:
* A unit that is within 16 hexes of an unbroken enemy ground unit, is not in Concealment Terrain, and is out of the LOS of all unbroken enemy ground units (see Case K).
* An Infantry unit (not manning a Gun) that is beyond 16 hexes from all unbroken enemy ground units but in the LOS of at least one of them, and is in Concealment Terrain (see Case I).

Concealment Table:
Case K: "?" is gained if the unit is in Good Order [EXC: it must first make a Final Concealment dr <= 5 if an unbroken enemy ground unit is within 16 hexes of it; A12.122.]
Case I: "?" is gained only if the unit is in Good Order and first makes a Final Concealment dr <=5 (A12.122).
-------------------

Situation:
--A Good Order German Infantry squad is sitting in Woods.
--An American Infantry squad is 10 hexes away, behind a building, in a depression, and (per SSR) have their eyes closed and are facing the wrong direction, but otherwise is in Good Order.
--Another American Infantry squad is 20 hexes away, but with a clear beady-eyed LOS to the German-occupied Woods and is also Good Order.

Question:
At the end of the German Player Turn, can the German gain Concealment by making a Concealment dr?

-------------------

Observation 1: The rules expressly say that the Concealment Table takes precedence over the rules . . . but then the Concealment Table--under cases K and I--explicitly reference A12.122 (I assume sending the player there for further clarification--so perhaps in this case, it means that rule A12.122 takes precedence over cases K and I as they are worded in the table???)

Observation 2: When I read the Concealment Table by itself (ignoring A12.122), I decide that . . .
(a) The "LOS Range from the nearest unbroken enemy ground unit" to the German unit is 20 hexes.
(b) Since the German unit is in Concealment Terrain, Case I applies.
(c) Case I says that, if Good Order, a successful Concealment dr will grant "?".

Observation 3: When I read A12.122, it appears that the second bullet doesn't apply, since the German is not beyond 16 hexes of all unbroken enemy ground units.

Question: Should the second bullet of A12.122 actually say something more like this . . .
* An Infantry unit (not manning a Gun) that is in Concealment Terrain, and that is in the LOS of at least one unbroken enemy ground unit, but all such enemy units are beyond 16 hexes from it (see Case I).

Thanks.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
First note that the two cases for rolling a dr are mutually exclusive. Either the unit trying to gain concealment is in concealment terrain or it is not (ignoring bocage, which is a whole 'nother kettle of sauerbratten). In your case the unit is in concealment terrain. The American squad 10 hexes away is not in play. The only American in play is the one twenty hexes away, and the German gains concealment by making a dr < 5 per case I. If the twenty-hex unit were not there, the applicable case would be "J" not "K".

The second bullet is mistaken. It should read, "An Infantry unit (not manning a Gun) that is beyond 16 hexes from all unbroken enemy ground units that have LOS and is in Concealment Terrain (see the application of Case I in the Concealment Table)."

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Note that although the second bullet is part of the J10 sticky errata, the phrasing of the part relevant to your question did not change from the original. The phrase "(not manning a Gun)" was the part that changed.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
This is slightly better:

"An Infantry unit (not manning a Gun) that is beyond 16 hexes from all unbroken enemy ground units that have LOS (but is in LOS of at least one) and is in Concealment Terrain (see the application of Case I in the Concealment Table)."

JR