Case Blue Update

ChrisBuehler

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From Dean on CSW:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@830.ZhjsdtWkqUX.5@.ee6b471/20912

Without letting the cat too much out of the bag.

I'm supposed to have a finished copy of Case Blue on my desk Saturday.

My job: Check to make sure all is there and correct to give a thumbs up to collate, collation to occur next week if all is well.

I'm thinking it will be. I'll let you guys know what I find when I look it over tommorrow.

That is all.
Sounds like CB should be shipping soon!

Chris :D

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Guys, please be sure to post your opinions about the game once you receive it. I'm curious to know if the Case Blue-specific rules add some strategic purchasing element to the CGs, or if there's a good selection of 20-25 turn scenarios.

Thanks!

Kishel

Reaction score
Guys, please be sure to post your opinions about the game once you receive it. I'm curious to know if the Case Blue-specific rules add some strategic purchasing element to the CGs, or if there's a good selection of 20-25 turn scenarios.
Thanks!
I know that there are some smaller scenarios. Not sure of the lengths for them. As for the Strategic purchasing element, it is possible that there might be units that you can 'buy' for VP's. However if you are looking for a strict strategic purchasing phase like ASL, I don't think you will find it in OCS.

But as soon as I get the game I will let you know what is there.

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Kishel,

I'm thinking more along the lines of a WiF-style purchasing / "build" phase for a big Case Blue CG (e.g. 1942-1943).

ChrisBuehler

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kishel,

I'm thinking more along the lines of a WiF-style purchasing / "build" phase for a big Case Blue CG (e.g. 1942-1943).
Marcus,

I don't know whether or not you have GBII, but it is supposed to link with CB for one huge game - most of the Russian front! For the linked campaign, there may be some strategic style purchase phase.

You know, I would suggest you contact Dean or post in the OCS folder in CSW. Dean is very good about answering questions.

Chris

Kishel

Reaction score
Kishel,
Ahhh. So you are looking at the game and wanting to be able to decide what forces you would get as reinforcements through a "building phase", rather then getting the forces that historically were sent to the theater.

I am fairly certain that this is not included in Case Blue or in the scenarios that combine with GBII. That would require a great deal more work for the game as well as adding a great number of counters so that you would have a pool to build from.

From my perspective, OCS is a game system that looks at a campaign in its historical setting and lets you take command of that theater but does not let change what was happen elsewhere in the war. OCS is your chance to see if you can do better than your historical counter-parts under similar conditions that they faced.

Now I know that Dean is working on a SCS game that will have what you are talking about for the entire war in Europe and N. Africa. SCS 'Europe First' or war in europe, will have al production system so that you can direct the war as you wish. It looks like it will be a great game, from what I have seen of it (I have been play testing the combat system for Barbarossa).

hans

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hans,

Thanks a lot for your follow-up. I've posted in the other thread about my experience with OCS CGs and the existing methods of fixed historical reinforcement lists and the random variable replacement DR system.

To be honest, I don't think this philosophy is all that realistic or "historical" because when talking about the management of a major campaign, strategic allocation of resources would be highly variable depending on the successes / failures, casualties, etc. in the theatre. For example, I don't think the German 24th Panzer Division would automatically continue to be allocated to Army Group South if it just punched its way through Stalingrad in 2 months. If a wargame doesn't represent the flux in the strategic environment associated with results over the course of a major campaign (such as Operation Blue), I don't think it does the "historical" aspect full justice.

Having said this, I'm much more of a gamer than a historical revisionist purist. In that sense, strategic resource allocation for CGs is just plain more fun. :)