Carpiquet - THE WINNER

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Ladies and gentlemen.

The Judges have deliberated. The judges have played. The Judges have pushed little bits of cardboard around until their fingers bled (or at least until their mouse fingers bled). Discussion has been heated, abuse and praise has been heaped on all and sundry, often at the same time. But without no further ado, the Top 5 in reverse order are.......

#5 Fourth Of July by Chris Olden
Board 53, 6 Turns
This scenario depicts the attack by Le regiment de La Chaudiere and the Fort Garry Horse on Southern part of Carpiquet, held by 3rd company, 3/26 SS. The Canadians have a half board of OG to cover to close with the village with Shermans and Wasps to do the job, and a pretty vanilla German OB defending, aided by 150mm OBA AND rocket OBA. In the end, we all thought the scenario looked great "out of the box" and had the potential to be excellent, with some great flovour SSRs including ABTF cellars and Fanatic Strongpoints but needed some serious tweaking, especially the OBA. Our judges comments included (and I'll post the fuller ones when we start a thread for each):
"Oh sh*t, all my Canadians are dead" - Ian
"At first glance this one looked real neat! OBA, Rocket
OBA, strong leaders, fun toys including one of my favz - the German
75mm Inf gun, plus two Wasps. But after two playings, we came to an
agreement that this one was just weighed far too heavy for the Germans.
The OBA and Rocket OBA (both 150mm) never go away per SSR. And the Blazes spread like...like wildfire. Half the town was
blazing away by end of game. I'd like to see some major
changes done as I think this one could be a very good scen. " - Dave Roth

#4 50 Butchers by Glenn Houseman
Boards 53 and 35, 5.5 Turns
Rather more of a generic "Canadians attack Carpiquet" this one, with a great title. This generated more discussion about its balance than any other scenario and was played multiple times. As it is, there were enough questions about it to rank it 4th, but at least one judge reckoned it was the scenario with most potential. Some comments:
"Fun toys for both sides, good mix of units, smallish
playing area yet room to move around with three avenues of
approach...what's not to like? The Germans are just a bit too strong in
this one. " - Dave Roth
"Good sound basis for a scenario that could have replay value, but the Canucks are way too tough. Even playing like crap against a very good player (Steve Linton), I was still able to push him back and basically gain the advantage in the scenario by T2." - James Taylor
Dave and Steve have a similar (amicable :) )difference of opinion about this one with Steve retort to daves assertion that "An aggressive German player will come away with a victory about 75% of the time." being "I'll see your aggressive German and kick his arse to Berlin" :)

#3 Party Boys by Pete Shelling
Boards 10 and 43 with Overlay 6.
This one stands out as being the only one featuring a German counterattack, a nice touch. Some comments...
"A little beefier than the first two picks, but still can
be played in an evening. At first glance, with the Canadians only
having one Piat and the Germans three Panthers it looked like a
lopsided affair for sure. But the VC's and SSR's limited the Panther's
impact on play." - Dave Roth
"Very one dimensional. The Germans must attack up their left flank in-order to have a chance at their VC. A proper Canadian will occupy the heights and look to delay the Germans. I would prefer to see something that opens the scenario up dimensionally… possibly a secondary victory condition that would steer the Germans towards the other flank" - James Taylor
"ok, but could use a tweak or two - give the Brits another PIAT and somehow make it more feasible/desirable for the Germans to attack along their right instead of along the bd43 walled compound on their left." - Tom Repetti

#2 Lalande Leads by Bill Brodie
Board 17
This one really stands out as a very different scenario to all others submitted, having an Urban Guerillas-like SSR which generates SS half squads or triggers an OBA attack. I think all of us who played it had a giggle at the sniper-generated shenanigans and ranked it for what it is, popcorn, fun ASL. I wouldn't like to play it for kidneys, but that isn't its aim. Comments....
"I suspect the German SAN is too high, which is going to result in too many Bad Things happening to the somewhat fragile Canadian force, but I'm s ure there'll be games where the Canadians just roll through with a horde of halfsquads." - Tom Repetti
"Popcorn. I didn’t look forward to setting this one up… but it really was quite a bit of fun. There is a sort of “forlorn hope” aspect to the Canucks. Jazz and I had a few giggles at the weirdness of this one. " - JT
"I liked this one for a couple reasons..a small playing
area, small OoB's, short enough for an evening's play. Even so, both
sides have a few options on both defense and offense. The only thing
that was both a plus and a minus was the SSR about Sniper attacks" - Dave
So that leaves only 1

and the winner is #1 Streets Of Carpiquet by Kevin Meyer
DASL Boards b and d. 5 Turns
An attack by the North Shore regiment this time to try and take 2 buildings on board d. This one seemed to impress everyone right off the bat and played well straight out of the box, with plenty of options for both sides and a plethora of hard decisions at every turn. Judges comments....

"There are so few DASL scenarios so this one caught my eye right
away. I was not disappointed. Again, short, small OoB's but some fun
toys for both sides." dave
"Solid scenario design, and probably the best right out the gate IMHO.
The problem with this scenario is the gully. It is very difficult for the Canucks to get past the gully at the end game." - JT

So if Mr Meyer would like to step forward and claim his prizes, $10 for out of box appeal plus $10 for overall best, redeemable at the www.aslscenarioarchive.com for scenario downloads.

So that's that. The designers would like a few days to make any changes once the comments have been posted, so please have patience until they're approved and up for download.

At this stage I'd like to thank all the designers for putting their babies out there for us for free, a tremendous effort by all. The judges have put in one heck of an effort, I think all 5 of us have played every scenario at least once, and in many cases twice, which if truth be told was not an onerous task! The SAG has also done a superb job, herding monkeys and keeping the judges in the dark as to who submitted what until after we'd done the final voting. And to everyone who participated in the initial discussions, its what made this contest what it was. Also thanks to Dave Ramsey for the prize and for hosting the scenarios at the archive (free!)

Cheers
Ian, Steve, Dave, James, Tom, Tom and Kerry, judges and scenario anonymiser guy.

Last edited:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Grats to Kevin and his winning design. Deluxe will always get my vote hands down!!

Scott

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Wonderfull !
The project succeeded ! Congratulations to everybody : designers and judges !
Now we do have an interesting platform of reflection about what can emerge from different designers using the same data.
For the least, this proves that ASL is as much about history than about creativity and fun.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
great idea, very well run.
I hope to see soon another game design contest.

Steven Linton

Maniac with keyboard
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Er,

Because I was too lazy to pass my comments onto Ian before he woke up and remembered to post the results:

Fourth of July: A lot of potential, with both sides getting a good force mix, but suffered from the capacity of the German to build a near perfect defence. I killed all Ian's Canadians, and the only German casualties were self-inflicted (a backblast and OBA).

50 Butchers: Dave and I disagree on this one - I played it several times, but it seemed the impact of the immediate VCs and numbers made it very hard on the Germans. Of course, the fact that this scenario featured the 'cursed church' had nothing to do with its ranking. As an aside, there is to be a grudge match of this between Steve "The Germans are screwed" Linton and The "75% pro-German" Sarge. Stay tuned.

Party Boys: Good close game, but as others have said there does seem to be a very favoured avenue of attack.

LaLande Leads: I'll declare an interest as I know the designer. This one is a great scenario, though most would categorise it as 'popcorn'. Fast moving and fun - everyone who has played it has enjoyed it. Whether its balanced, we're not sure, but it was great fun.

Streets of Carpiquet: A tight game where both sides have a number of options. Mistakes are punished on both sides, but good play is rewarded. Came up fairly balnced as well, and lived up to its initial rating as number 1 scenario. Of course, we should also thank Kevin for the 6 cases of champagne and the Hooters VIP membership.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Congratulations to the TOP FIVE, now (at least for 2008) declared "Designers Par Excellence".

Again in 2009? could be a fun thing to do annually.

SSwann

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Many thanks to the Judges and the SAG for spending the time necessary to do this so well. I hope this did not detract them from regular play too much, but I know that I speak for all the designers in expressing our thanks for time and efforts with an extra kudos to the SAG for the layout work.

SSwann

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice to see Kevin's 'still got it'. He's easily one of the most under-appreciated of the great ASL scenario designers. Keeping DASL alive and kicking!

Way to go Kevin!

Great competition, and a good way to get more people involved in the scenario design process.

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Congrats to Kevin as well. I don't know him, but I do know I've enjoyed his designs over the years--- and I think its great for him to 'pop up' at the top of pretty decenlt list of designers in this case.

Ian--- were all of our comments forwarded to the designers?

Steve L. and I had some pretty specific tweaks for 50 Butchers,(which by the way STILL has the best title in a group of solid contenders... just MHO of course), that I'd like to make sure Glennbo sees.

In fact... Steve might not like this, but I think it would be great if his grudge match of "The Cursed Church" would be well played using the tweaks we suggested. That way Glennbo could get even more feedback.

JT

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Congratulations Kevin!!!(it still sounds like a
Quinn Martin Production!!!:laugh: )
and mucho kudos to the rest of you Monkeys!!!
:toast::clap::hail::headbang::hurray::toast:
And, again, THANKYOU to all the judges for their
bravery under fire!
SALUTE!
co

p.s.-can't wait to be able to put together the designer notes,
and to read everyone else's as well!

Last edited:

Bigkayeh

Court Jester of absurdity
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With over 400 emails and 450 files read, written and manipulated on my part, the process has gone amazingly well. Congrats to Kevin as the winner:clap: and to all the other designers for their sportsmanship and the way the delt with the SAG and his sagfu's. The judges are also to be commended for their hard work and also be gracious in dealing with the sagfu's. A lot of you would be disappointed to find out how considerate some of those guys you "hate" here on the forum are in their personal communication. I won't name names as not to ruin their hard-won reps here on the forum.

To those in the top five, if you want to make any final tweaks please get them to me by tomorrow as I want to get this wrapped up as soon as possible.

It has been a pleasure to be a part of this,

Kerry

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's not too late!

I congratulate the winner Kevin Meyer, and the other participants as well. I would like to remind them all that it's still not to late to withdraw their submissions in order to avoid the certain hassle of the constant intrusion into their personal lives from now on by stalking fans or even one unknown sore loser.

You don't know what these freaks are capable of. Showing up at your door at all hours of the night with big smiles and suspicious looking "gifts". Insinuating himself...er, I mean themselves into your family gatherings and workplace. You bright gentlemen with promising lives don't need that! Haven't you seen "Cable Guy"?

I on the other hand RELISH the oppourtunity to deflect this unwanted attention from you great guys. And I take postitive JOY at confronting strange "fans" and putting them back in direct touch with their mislaid self-preservation instincts. I'm a frickin' bullet sponge baby!

So gentlemen, if only for the sake of your own comfort and well-being, give Glennbo the crown now. It's not too late! I'll altruistically "take the hit" from all the stalkers and sore losers, leaving you unharmed to carry on with your purposeful lives with complete peace of mind. I'll be in constant danger, but I'll do it to save all you. That's just the kind of guy I am.

;) :thumup:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Re: It's not too late!

I congratulate the winner Kevin Meyer, and the other participants as well. I would like to remind them all that it's still not to late to withdraw their submissions in order to avoid the certain hassle of the constant intrusion into their personal lives from now on by stalking fans or even one unknown sore loser.

You don't know what these freaks are capable of. Showing up at your door at all hours of the night with big smiles and suspicious looking "gifts". Insinuating himself...er, I mean themselves into your family gatherings and workplace. You bright gentlemen with promising lives don't need that! Haven't you seen "Cable Guy"?

I on the other hand RELISH the oppourtunity to deflect this unwanted attention from you great guys. And I take postitive JOY at confronting strange "fans" and putting them back in direct touch with their mislaid self-preservation instincts. I'm a frickin' bullet sponge baby!

So gentlemen, if only for the sake of your own comfort and well-being, give Glennbo the crown now. It's not too late! I'll altruistically "take the hit" from all the stalkers and sore losers, leaving you unharmed to carry on with your purposeful lives with complete peace of mind. I'll be in constant danger, but I'll do it to save all you. That's just the kind of guy I am.

;) :thumup:
Congrats on 4th place or what I like to call Loser #3

:p

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Now now children, be nice to Glennbo, he's heartbroken.

Hopefully I'll get the full judges comments up today for the delight and delectation of all. One thread for each scenario?

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: It's not too late!

Congrats on 4th place or what I like to call Loser #3

:p
CHIMPENSTEIN! :freak: "Loser #3" is the name of your own personal daily cocktail created when you make number one, mix it with your number two in a blender, and guzzle it like mamma's milk! :kotz: :drink: :yummy:

Corwin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Congrats to all you guys! It was fun to be a part of this effort and I look forward to the next one.

When will these scenarios be availaible to play?

Cheers,

John

Bigkayeh

Court Jester of absurdity
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Congrats to all you guys! It was fun to be a part of this effort and I look forward to the next one.

When will these scenarios be availaible to play?

Cheers,

John
As soon as all the little tweaks are down maybe by this weekend.

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As soon as all the little tweaks are down maybe by this weekend.
What's all this so-called "tweaking". The public deserves the exact same scenarios our precious judges played! Then there can be a true "ASL Player's Choice Crown"...:yummy: