Card-Driven Mechanics to the emerging new layers of ASL????

g_young

Reaction score
The Days of Valour modules I created would have introduced card mechanics, but no one wanted it. Ironic to see it is now being considered.

My own game system that I adapted to work with ASL used a card system for twenty years to great effect. Everything from simulating better Fog of War to Command-Control and Real world leaders personality traits. It certainly opens up new ways in which to introduce other layers of "uncertain realism" into a game.
Wow, sounds neat! It is ironic, as you say. Are you willing to share your methods on simulating real world leaders? (No problem if you decide not to; it'll just mean I'll keep on plodding along!)

ZenRiver

Heretic
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Wow, sounds neat! It is ironic, as you say. Are you willing to share your methods on simulating real world leaders? (No problem if you decide not to; it'll just mean I'll keep on plodding along!)
You will have to pardon, as I know little about your project or who you are. It was just a fluke I came back on here, as a gaming friend asked me about Rommel's Battalions/Brigades a few weeks ago. I was considering getting back into wargaming as I had some spare time for it now. RMB provides rules and new maps for three levels of tactical play -- Platoon, Company/Battalion, and the larger original rules for Brigades. The maps and counters were compatible with ASL, and meant to allow some cross-over for those who were interested.

Unfortunately it is hard for me to continue play-testing things. The last of my friends who played, died three years ago, so the project was shelved just over two years ago as my heart was no longer in it. I was ostracized from the local counter-pusher community because of my work, which apparently offended some of the local ASL players here. One of them is active in this forum, so expect nothing but negative attacks from them once he notices I am back. The negativity around my contributions was what drove me away from wargaming to be honest. There is far too much vitriol in these groups, and few people who play locally any more but a select cliche.

I will have to consider your offer. Private message me if you like and we can talk offline.

Cheers,

NR (aka. Northern Rommel).

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Pitman has not been active on GS for the last two years making a single comment maybe once every six months. I thought your maps were interesting but you seemed unable to address ASL players concerns that your naturalized graphics had ambiguous terrain types within a given hex and that the ASL board artwork is more than decorative and part of the rules system. So if you see this as a negative attack, so be it.

You will have to pardon, as I know little about your project or who you are. It was just a fluke I came back on here, as a gaming friend asked me about Rommel's Battalions/Brigades a few weeks ago. I was considering getting back into wargaming as I had some spare time for it now. RMB provides rules and new maps for three levels of tactical play -- Platoon, Company/Battalion, and the larger original rules for Brigades. The maps and counters were compatible with ASL, and meant to allow some cross-over for those who were interested.

Unfortunately it is hard for me to continue play-testing things. The last of my friends who played, died three years ago, so the project was shelved just over two years ago as my heart was no longer in it. I was ostracized from the local counter-pusher community because of my work, which apparently offended some of the local ASL players here. One of them is active in this forum, so expect nothing but negative attacks from them once he notices I am back. The negativity around my contributions was what drove me away from wargaming to be honest. There is far too much vitriol in these groups, and few people who play locally any more but a select cliche.

I will have to consider your offer. Private message me if you like and we can talk offline.

Cheers,

NR (aka. Northern Rommel).

ZenRiver

Heretic
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Pitman has not been active on GS for the last two years making a single comment maybe once every six months. I thought your maps were interesting but you seemed unable to address ASL players concerns that your naturalized graphics had ambiguous terrain types within a given hex and that the ASL board artwork is more than decorative and part of the rules system. So if you see this as a negative attack, so be it.
I have no problem with constructive criticism or input of that nature -- which I acknowledged.

Yes, I know people had questions about the graphics differences. That was why I also went ahead and spent months of my spare time making new counter art for the cross overs. Some folks were concerned that the maps would not work with regular SL/ASL counters -- although I thought they did. But even the new counter art was considered not good enough. Oh well, as I said then you cannot as a game developer please everyone.

It was not Cartman that I was referring too btw. It was one of his local fanboys who lipped off apparently, and poisoned the local ASL well and potential group play with any local wargamers. He went postal service on me over something else outside gaming, and he was s____ on me for there ever after. The two new people I lined to play with apparently heard about the hate through the rumor mill, and then ghosted me. Lies and hate and vitriol are common in these parts amongst some gamer circles. Sad, but it is just how people are.

It is not just on these forums that you find excessive pettiness. Too bad, but any further work will have to wait for now as I am involved in far too much pre-retirement work. Who know though, life tends to change directions rapidly these days.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thoughts from anyone who playtested the Brevity Assault pack (the project by the Italian "Advancing Fire" group)?

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have no problem with constructive criticism or input of that nature -- which I acknowledged.

Yes, I know people had questions about the graphics differences. That was why I also went ahead and spent months of my spare time making new counter art for the cross overs. Some folks were concerned that the maps would not work with regular SL/ASL counters -- although I thought they did. But even the new counter art was considered not good enough. Oh well, as I said then you cannot as a game developer please everyone.

It was not Cartman that I was referring too btw. It was one of his local fanboys who lipped off apparently, and poisoned the local ASL well and potential group play with any local wargamers. He went postal service on me over something else outside gaming, and he was s____ on me for there ever after. The two new people I lined to play with apparently heard about the hate through the rumor mill, and then ghosted me. Lies and hate and vitriol are common in these parts amongst some gamer circles. Sad, but it is just how people are.

It is not just on these forums that you find excessive pettiness. Too bad, but any further work will have to wait for now as I am involved in far too much pre-retirement work. Who know though, life tends to change directions rapidly these days.
To be honest, I am not at all certain why an ambiguity in terrain art on a map grid would require or justify changing the counter art on the counters. It would seem logical that map art issues are resolved with map art changes. One can change the countermix art all they wish, it will not address map artwork issues at all.

Also, as a game designer, one should understand that although you are not going to please everyone, you should at least attempt to grow a thick enough skin to absorb criticisms and learn from them. Even the harshest ones contain truisms worthy of examining as a creator of a product.

finally, it matters not how long it takes to make changes in order to achieve a finished product in the designer's eyes. Look at Battleground counters. Alan's been working on those since 2011, and just last year they actually caught on with some, but certainly not at all, all or even most, ASL players.

I'd hazard a guess it was less pettiness and more a bit of "grow up", that led to your last departure (your third by my count) in 2017. YMMV of course.

ZenRiver

Heretic
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
To be honest, I am not at all certain why an ambiguity in terrain art on a map grid would require or justify changing the counter art on the counters. It would seem logical that map art issues are resolved with map art changes. One can change the countermix art all they wish, it will not address map artwork issues at all.
The map art was fixed, and the concerns noted. Some had issue with the variant terrain rules, new terrain, etc. The thing I heard from people was that the ASL artwork did not work well in the near photo-realism of the maps. So I did some sample revised artwork. Some of the comments were understood, and change was effected. Others leveled accusations at me that were groundless. About one in five comments were worth acting on.

finally, it matters not how long it takes to make changes in order to achieve a finished product in the designer's eyes. Look at Battleground counters. Alan's been working on those since 2011, and just last year they actually caught on with some, but certainly not at all, all or even most, ASL players.
True. I have spent the past couple of years burying people close to me, so that also impacted motivation as I mentioned earlier. Few good things are done quickly.

I'd hazard a guess it was less pettiness and more a bit of "grow up", that led to your last departure (your third by my count) in 2017. YMMV of course.
Like I said, pettiness.

There is no need for such jabs. This used to be a hobby where people were friendly, civil, and generally enthusiastic about new things. Those days seem to be gone. Sad.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Dragging by up the past once more, we really need to let it go people