Card-driven ASL

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Let's try to be sachlich, as one would say on the other side of the Rhine. So here it is:

What?
A deck of 108 "Tactical Playing Cards" (or T-cards) to use when playing an ASL scenario.

Why?
It introduces an add-on to the game, which hopefully should add extra fun without being onerous for players.

How?
Each player receives at game start a number of cards from the deck and may play them whenever he sees fit during a scenario. Each card has an effect printed on it, just apply what is written on the card and discard the card. The total number of cards in the deck is sufficiently large to ensure that no hand will be similar to another from one scenario to another. The rules underpinning T-cards' use are as concise as possible.

What does it look like?
Cards follow the standard for collectible cards (poker-sized, 300 grams/sm).

With which scenarios is it compatible?
Almost all of them. No card requires little-used rules from the ASLRB and most cards draw their inspiration from Chapter A rules.

Any requirements?
Players with 30+ games under their belt would be comfortable with the text of the cards. Designed as they are, the cards should not distract the player from scenario action.

Who will be interested?
- those who like to try new products with their regular ASL buddy;
- those who want to spice up vanilla scenarios;
- those who want to introduce an additional dimension to ASL games.

When?
The Tactical playing cards have been presented at ASLOK and are now available for sale at the Gamer's Armory, at Second Chance Games and at Andreas Carlsson's webshop (Trojangames).

How much?
See retailers (Gamers Armory (US), Second Chance Games (UK), Andreas Carlsson's webshop (Trojangames)

Disclaimer:
The term "card-driven ASL" should be understood as providing a quick reference to those wargames where cards have some bearing on the game. It should not be understood as cards taking a leading role in deciding the outcome of a scenario. It is (TM Vinnie) a 'condiment' for ASL.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Thanks Peter, it is clearly a endeavour fraught with challenges but I hope players will like the contents of these cards.

Drafting card text is tricky, as always when dealing with ASL rules. The cards should be concise yet without loopholes, provide a nice little puzzle for players yet not distract from the main game and have fun effects. Effects should not be over the top (no "Goblin Grenade!") while keeping a modicum of realism (here opinions may differ :)).

Most cards have concise wording. Other cards have slightly longer text because they need to observe ASL legalese. However they remain easy to understand (finger crossed!). While the cards might be simple, it does not mean that players could not maximise their use by choosing when they should be played.

Some cards have strings attached: they may have some drawbacks for the player using them. However careful use should minimise potential drawbacks and maximise benefits.

Finally some cards foster interaction between players.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Very interesting idea!

I had thought of a similar idea, but with only one card drawn, affecting either the OB (e.g. "add n 8-1 leader to the initial OB") or being played during the game ("reroll a dr following a SAN if the original one was 3-6").
When I see balance provisions of scenarios, I would believe that the cards should not affect the OBs or game outcomes too much.
That said, if both players have cards, there can be some counterbalancing effects.

All in all, I would support such a project.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Very interesting idea!

I had thought of a similar idea, but with only one card drawn, affecting either the OB (e.g. "add n 8-1 leader to the initial OB") or being played during the game ("reroll a dr following a SAN if the original one was 3-6").
When I see balance provisions of scenarios, I would believe that the cards should not affect the OBs or game outcomes too much.
That said, if both players have cards, there can be some counterbalancing effects.

All in all, I would support such a project.
Thanks, one factor to balance things out is indeed to give the same number of cards to both players so that players have the same opportunity to give a gentle boost to their chances.
A few cards, as a compensation, give the opportunity to the other player to draw an extra card from the deck.
BTW there is a card called "The Swiss Knife" :)

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The ASL card concept as being presented here seems a bit vague to me, at least until I hear a specific example of what some of the cards might indicate.
That being said, I can certainly envision the usefulness of this concept for those of us who do quite a bit of solo play. I am intrigued while awaiting more details.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The ASL card concept as being presented here seems a bit vague to me, at least until I hear a specific example of what some of the cards might indicate.
That being said, I can certainly envision the usefulness of this concept for those of us who do quite a bit of solo play. I am intrigued while awaiting more details.
Essentially T-cards represent special events that may occur during a given scenario. In this sense, their purpose is not so far to the ASL Heat of Battle section of the rulz, which also aims to introduce special, picturesque events, during an ASL game. The HOB sub-system introduces flavour to an ASL scenario and this is why all players like it to my knowledge (or at least i've never heard something bad about HOB). The T-cards are designed along the same philosophy: providing unusual events during a scenario.
I would lie to you if I said that if it has been also designed for solo play. Some adaptations would be needed if you would use it for that purpose, but it, at first sight, does not seem an impossible task. It has to be said that there is a slight element of "fog of war" and that element would be at risk if played solo. That's all i can say at this stage on that area.

takai

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
Let's brainstorm some cards:

Inspire - A broken MMC with a leader in the same location is so inspired by his words, that it automatically rallies.
Law of Averages - Instead of rolling your next IFT attack, you may choose to roll a 7.
Shellholes - A random round hits the target area and creates shellholes in one hex.
Mechanical prodigy - You automatically repair a SW or Gun.

rwpikul

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
One thought I just had is to give some cards two tiers of effect: You can take the limited. basic, effect or you can have a bigger effect in exchange for your opponent getting to draw a card.

To give an example:
Basic - A friendly 337 partisan squad is placed in a woods/building location selected using a semi-random method, this squad may only move through rout and may not participate in firegroups.
Boosted - Three such squads are placed in separately determined locations, opponent draws a card.

(Admittedly, such a card would probably need fine print along the lines of "use a 137 if opponent OB has <X squad equivalents, discard and draw a new card if <Y SEs.)

takai

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
OB modifications are likely not a good idea because of rout paths being cut off, for example. Or simply upsetting the balance. Three partisan squads, that's way too much.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Let's brainstorm some cards:

Inspire - A broken MMC with a leader in the same location is so inspired by his words, that it automatically rallies.
Law of Averages - Instead of rolling your next IFT attack, you may choose to roll a 7.
Shellholes - A random round hits the target area and creates shellholes in one hex.
Mechanical prodigy - You automatically repair a SW or Gun.
These are very interesting ideas and in some ways you are not far, but some ideas are a tad too strong. The automatic repair would be a pretty powerful card. I tried based on my own experience to devise what could be non-trivial yet not too powerful as well. It's a difficult balance to achieve. Whether i got it right people will see.

First rule i tried to follow: the game must be respected in its integrity.

Last edited:

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
One thought I just had is to give some cards two tiers of effect: You can take the limited. basic, effect or you can have a bigger effect in exchange for your opponent getting to draw a card.

To give an example:
Basic - A friendly 337 partisan squad is placed in a woods/building location selected using a semi-random method, this squad may only move through rout and may not participate in firegroups.
Boosted - Three such squads are placed in separately determined locations, opponent draws a card.

(Admittedly, such a card would probably need fine print along the lines of "use a 137 if opponent OB has <X squad equivalents, discard and draw a new card if <Y SEs.)
I would agree with Takai that OB changes belong to the ABS world and are too powerful to the purpose i designed the cards.
But some cards, as you mention, have some interesting effects so the opponent will get an extra card to draw from the deck as some form of compensation.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
OB modifications are an excellent way to introduce some fog of war.
For an example, "add a dr of additional concealment counters" can prevent "concealment counter counting".

Otherwise, I think that each scenario and side would require adapted cards to their specificity.
E.g. different cards for scenario Atracker and Defender, no additional units if the VC have CVP or EVP (or at least at a small degree).

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Wouldn't scenarios have to be replay tested to make sure balance does not go out the window with card use?
Balance is a very relative notion.
Using the cards certainty would change the (un?)balance of a scenario.
But they are meant to add fun, quite like variable OB or random factors like SAN, Booby traps, HoB, rain or snow intensity variation...

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Wouldn't scenarios have to be replay tested to make sure balance does not go out the window with card use?
There are thousands of scenarios. I may say i've played them all with the cards but it would be a joke :D

The issue of balance is an important one and people know that this is something i usually pay attention to.

Each card has been calibrated so that, taken individually, balance would not go "out of the window". It is my choice, my judgement, built on my experience of one thousand scenarios played (more or less, i don't count).

Also remember that each player has cards, so effects going one way would be countered by cards going the other way.

Remember also that the cards are meant to play a secondary role in any scenario, they do not take center stage but, again, add flavor.