Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Some germanic tribes and later the vikings were of the conviction, that luck was a skill rather than happenstance.

If your slogan beneath your avatar is "Vare, legiones redde!" then maybe Augustus should improve his skill in luck? ;)

von Marwitz
And Lug was the celtic god of arts and of many skills.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Some germanic tribes and later the vikings were of the conviction, that luck was a skill rather than happenstance.

If your slogan beneath your avatar is "Vare, legiones redde!" then maybe Augustus should improve his skill in luck? ;)

von Marwitz
"Have to be good to be lucky" is also a thing in the post-Viking world. It still applies. The better you know and apply the rules, the better you maximize your chances, the better your habits, the less bad luck will affect the outcome.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Your post is the epitome of the ambiguous relationship most players have with luck.
If there is a card that says "FUCK YOU! That was a 20 -4 and there is no way you deserve to walk out of that with a BH squad, a hero, and a Sniper activation that clipped my best leader and snapped my kill stack on the 2 LLMC. FUCK OFF and put your dead guys in the dead pile." then I am all for it. Otherwise, IMO, there is enough random stuff in the game and I would not play it. Others may like it, and I am OK with that. Some don't like DTO, or PTO, or DASL, or SASL and somehow the system manages to survive. I have zero interest in the Korea module either. Somehow all of my ASL gear continues to endure. -- jim

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Hi Jim,
I was surprised you did not provide thus far your opinion on this thread. Done and in a predictable manner. :)

Otherwise, IMO, there is enough random stuff in the game and I would not play it.
You belong to the group that is frustrated by too much randomness. :mad: What about:

- a card that would allow you to change 12s into 11s?

- a card that would allow you to place a fire lane without the fear of cowering?

- a card that forces the opponent to re-roll a DR (terms and conditions apply)?

Ok, you wrote it's been 18 months you have not played ASL so i imagine your sceptical feelings about ASL run much deeper and i can't change that. No hard feelings :)

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I was surprised you did not provide thus far your opinion on this thread. Done and in a predictable manner. :)
I was asked and answered. If you would rather people just be an echo chamber to your greatness, don't ask ;) -- jim

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Ok, you wrote it's been 18 months you have not played ASL so i imagine your sceptical feelings about ASL run much deeper and i can't change that. No hard feelings :)
One more thing. I find it funny you put me in the category of person who is "frustrated by too much randomness" and yet propose a change to the base system that eliminates or purports to eliminate the randomness. I am happy with the game as is, even if I am frustrated at times by it. You want to change it. Perhaps the difference between us is I wear my frustration on my sleeve and you just keep yours all bottled up inside. -- jim

PS: It had been 18 months, but I have begun playing again lately. I am also going to be at ASLOk as well. My lack of play doesn't mean I don't understand the system as a whole. I would humbly suggest that I *actually* have well above average understanding of the system as a whole. What you propose is fine by me although to be fair, it is impossible to judge as you haven't offered card examples. I wouldn't play it any more than I would the IIFT. I would consider it as an ASLOk mini. I love the Gor-Gor mini at ASLOk because of the changes. I have even won it once. Based on how hard it is to get into, I think there are a lot of people who agree with me. When I play regular ASL, I almost always play Gor-Gor's OBA rules. I am not opposed to changes that make sense. I am not opposed to nonsensical changes under the right conditions. IMO, card-driven ASL would not be for me outside of a mini. Others will disagree. That's OK by me.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Hi Jim,

You belong to the group that is frustrated by too much randomness. :mad: What about:

- a card that would allow you to place a fire lane without the fear of cowering?

They sound like fairly big cards to me and potentially major game changers. I thought these cards were not to be major game changers ?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Jim,

I would love the 12 to 11 card. If available at the last CCPh of the game, you could potentially use it to change a victory into an ignominious defeat (or vica versa) by the play of a single card. Boy would either you or your opponent be PO'ed at that one! It would be classic as I've been in that position too often to just rely upon a single DR. (especially at a tournament). [tongue in cheek here btw]. My personal preference is that if I wanted a card game I'd play Cribbage!

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would love the 12 to 11 card. If available at the last CCPh of the game, you could potentially use it to change a victory into an ignominious defeat (or vica versa) by the play of a single card. Boy would either you or your opponent be PO'ed at that one! It would be classic as I've been in that position too often to just rely upon a single DR. (especially at a tournament). [tongue in cheek here btw]. My personal preference is that if I wanted a card game I'd play Cribbage!
ASL The Gathering

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
PS: It had been 18 months, but I have begun playing again lately. I am also going to be at ASLOk as well. My lack of play doesn't mean I don't understand the system as a whole. I would humbly suggest that I *actually* have well above average understanding of the system as a whole.
I've never put that in doubt. You're a well-rounded player, that's for sure.

On the T-cards mini issue, that's something for Bret to decide, but i guess people may think it looks clumsy for the players that have already selected their mini when they had registered. Besides, the use of cards is not centered on tournaments, but on casual play between ASL regular partners. If people like them so much that they want them in tournaments, obviously i would be delighted, but i am not aiming at that as of now in my modest (yes!) objectives.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
They are not, at least in my opinion.
Two of those can hand an instant win to an opponent on a plate.

One of those is a fundamental strategy changer causes consequent effects (ie. it's a great card for a Russian player who may only have a couple of leaders).

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
One could disallow use of the cards in the last two half-turns of a scenario.
I could buy into them if they were very subtle in nature. So fire on next higher column or some such. Extra black chit for OBA. That kind of thing.

But, changing dice rolls is just silly in my mind. You rolled the dice. THAT's the result. And that's that for all the good or bad it represents. To then have the hand of god come down and topple the six over onto the five is just bullshit in my mind.

I'll give them a swerve. They raise to many questions and I believe there'd be an inevitability about players holding onto them all game then double/triple tagging an opponent in the end game with three cards which add up to "I win"

Not keen. But if they float some people's boats then, huh "knock yourselves out" with em.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like card driven games but ASL already gives me enough to think about, I'll pass on the cards thank you.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Two of those can hand an instant win to an opponent on a plate.
One of those is a fundamental strategy changer causes consequent effects (ie. it's a great card for a Russian player who may only have a couple of leaders).
There's a limit on how many cards can be played per turn.

Besides some cards are restricted in use. Some of them can't be used on turn 1. Others can't be used on the last turn. Besides i don't think one can assess a deck of cards by issuing summary judgement on one or two.

That's why i think i'm seeking a relaxed, comprehensive and unbiaised assessment at ASLOK. Take your motorhome to Cleveland and join us. :)