Card-driven ASL

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Okay I just finished the first two pages of this thread, and not a single actual example. Do I keep reading the other 5 pages of comments - does he ever get around to giving an actual example?

As always, I do like Steven Pleva's ideas. Made the first 2 pages worth reading.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Okay I just finished the first two pages of this thread, and not a single actual example. Do I keep reading the other 5 pages of comments - does he ever get around to giving an actual example?
I don't want you to waste your precious time. I see you are impatient. Please come back in a couple of weeks :)

andrea pagni

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
well.. I guess in 10 days we'll see them. I don't know what they could bring to the game but I'll look at them with an open mind :)

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
well.. I guess in 10 days we'll see them. I don't know what they could bring to the game but I'll look at them with an open mind :)
Hi Andrea, is your legendary luck compatible with cards, or is it tipycally dice-related? :D

trailrunner

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
IMHO - This is probably not something I'd be interested in. There are already enough surprise events caused by the underlying randomness in the game -- the MG that breaks at just the worst possible time; the squad with a leader that just can't seem to rally for three turns; the 16FP attack that fizzles; or the string of three high MC rolls that decimates a key stack. Whenever this happens, I'm sure that this has tilted the game in favor of one side, but then shortly afterwards the other side gets the good or bad series or events and it's back to being balances. In these moments, I realize that this is one of the things that I like about ASL.

Adding a layer of cards to counteract these events doesn't seem right (to me). Playing a card to cause a unit to automatically rally like a Phoenix is already built into the game through the dice. This could also alter the tactics -- if you are holding a magic-self-rally card, maybe you'll make a risky frontal attack, knowing with certainty that next turn you can play that card and get that unit back into the fight. Also, ASL (IMHO) has enough God-like control over the battlefield (but maybe not individual units), and being able to employ these cards seems like another layer of Godliness.

Good luck!

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I agree with this (depending on what the cards allow - but we won't have an example). In the rules, there are not many things that you can be absolutely sure of - you may lay a Fire Lane but have it canceled by a malfunction, you may have a very high chance of rallying but still fail, you may trigger a nicely Placed (or Set) DC and have it malfunction. You have to learn to play with these uncertainties, and accept them; good play is the art of maximizing the favorable probabilities, and minimizing the effect of any bad events.

A mechanism that let a player avoid a malfunction, or that let him ensure a key unit was certain to pass a MC, or certain to rally, where the normal rules ensure that nothing of the sort is ever certain, is not something I wish to see. I have nothing against unlikely events happening in a game; I just don't want a player's gameplay to be influenced by the knowledge that, at some key point, he'll have the necessary bit of luck.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
IMHO - This is probably not something I'd be interested in. There are already enough surprise events caused by the underlying randomness in the game -- the MG that breaks at just the worst possible time; the squad with a leader that just can't seem to rally for three turns; the 16FP attack that fizzles; or the string of three high MC rolls that decimates a key stack. Whenever this happens, I'm sure that this has tilted the game in favor of one side, but then shortly afterwards the other side gets the good or bad series or events and it's back to being balances. In these moments, I realize that this is one of the things that I like about ASL.

Adding a layer of cards to counteract these events doesn't seem right (to me). Playing a card to cause a unit to automatically rally like a Phoenix is already built into the game through the dice. This could also alter the tactics -- if you are holding a magic-self-rally card, maybe you'll make a risky frontal attack, knowing with certainty that next turn you can play that card and get that unit back into the fight. Also, ASL (IMHO) has enough God-like control over the battlefield (but maybe not individual units), and being able to employ these cards seems like another layer of Godliness.

Good luck!
Your post is the epitome of the ambiguous relationship most players have with luck. Should we need more or less? Some players would like more controlability. Some players would like more randomness or like it like it is. I said earlier in the thread (but it's a long one) that some T-cards provide luck-enhancing situations, while other T-cards provide luck-mitigating situations, which in my view is a way to respect the spirit of the game. The T-cards do not provide a card in which a unit would be automatically rallied, because that would not be in the spirit of ASL. Instead quite a few T-cards mix advantages and drawbacks for the player using it. Usually the advantages would be superior to the drawbacks, but this may be contingent on the timing of cardplay. I should also add that i have opted for measured events that would not, in general, turn the tables on a scenario's outcome. It's not black and white, it's just a question of mixing the right ingredients, and in appropriate quantities.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I need more better luck.

JR
Some germanic tribes and later the vikings were of the conviction, that luck was a skill rather than happenstance.

If your slogan beneath your avatar is "Vare, legiones redde!" then maybe Augustus should improve his skill in luck? ;)

von Marwitz