Capturing the Palembang Oilfields

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
It was a campaign Critical Hit Volume 6 No. 4. 4 date CG game using Platoon Leader (which I'm also looking for a copy of).

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's a cool story related to the situation- " On the morning of 13 February, a river boat commandeered by the British Royal Navy, HMS Li Wo — under Lieutenant Thomas Wilkinson — ferrying personnel and equipment between Singapore and the Dutch East Indies, ran into the Japanese fleet. Although Li Wo was armed only with a 4-inch (100 mm) gun and two machineguns, its crew fired at the Japanese troop transport ships, setting one on fire and damaging several others, while under fire from the Japanese cruisers. This action continued for 90 minutes until the Li Wo ran out of ammunition. Wilkinson then ordered the rammingof the nearest transport, before his ship was destroyed by Japanese fire. Wilkinson received a posthumous Victoria Cross (VC), the highest award for gallantry in the British Commonwealth, and the only VC awarded in the Dutch East Indies campaign."

Wow, talk about balls.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actual footage of the Palembang thing, the Japanese paratroopers kinda copied the German uniforms.

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
That's very cool! Thank you!

So it appears the Japanese dropped without their rifles? Similar to Germans? I don't think the campaign rules reflect this like Operation Merkur does?

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, they copied their uniforms. I don't know if they copied their tactics, maybe you noticed something in the film I didn't. Good job soldier.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Apparently they dropped with their weapons, they even had some type 100 SMGs (ideal for jungle fighting so how about a Japanese 6-3-8)but mostly shortened a rifle to 36" and broke it in two somehow.

Last edited: