Captured Finn weapons?

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So I see that the Finns can use captured Russian MGs without penalty and the other way around.

But how come the Finns can't use German weapons without captured penalties and also the other way around?

Why just MGs? Why not other weapons?

Does this just come down to a timing thing? Finns weren't using German weapons against the Germans?

Seth

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I don't believe the Finns used German machine guns - only PF/PSK.

Perhaps the only Russian weapons they captured in enough quantity to warrant non-captured use was machine guns?

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just assumed the "German" MGs in the OOB were actually German MGs. Never noticed that they do not have the little 'g' on them. Which makes me wonder what they really should be? Certainly not 3 - 8 , 5 -12 , and 7 - 16.

This probably doesn't belong on the Rules board.

Seth

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually a little searching seems to indicate that they should all always have been Russian MGs except the 2 - 8 lmg. Seems strange and wrong that they were given the "German" MGs in Beyond Valor. Counter printing savings I guess? And I guess they are still included for use in old / legacy scenarios?

Seth

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The allotment of German SW to Finns in BV and scenarios before HP came out is a well-known historical error - or a confusing abstraction.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe someday, there will be an updated version of "Fighting Withdrawal" {with the Finnish forces using either
native Finnish weapons or captured and refurbished Russian weapons}.

Desicat

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Maybe someday, there will be an updated version of "Fighting Withdrawal" {with the Finnish forces using either
native Finnish weapons or captured and refurbished Russian weapons}.
This is happening for the pre-HP! module Winter War scenarios, but ASL 1 is another thing entirely.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Too true, some scenarios are strictly off-limits for revision. But there are several Finnish scenarios (Annual mostly) that could
stand a revision of the Finnish OB concerning SW substitution. Perhaps someone from the HP design team could put out a
substitute matrix for them.

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interestingly, I came across the description of action and battles and was going to do a scenario. Started to draft stuff, etc. Then I realized it was the same time/area as fighting withdrawal and decided to not proceed with it.
Too bad. Would have interesting with a new board(s) and weapon systems.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Interestingly, I came across the description of action and battles and was going to do a scenario. Started to draft stuff, etc. Then I realized it was the same time/area as fighting withdrawal and decided to not proceed with it.
It depends which units sizes were involved.
And there have been two or three scenarios depicting the same battle - even in official publications, such as the three Tardijksfell battle's scenarios.
If you aren't plagiarizing the historical introduction and aftermath, it should be ok.

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Typically I dont pay attention or care about any other designs on a specific battle. I do my own thing.
The problem here is that I was immediately influenced once I realized it. FW is kind of a classic. If I were to change the boards, the OB a bit, and the MGs, I would feel like I was just taking FW and updating it.
I thought about doing something completely different on the battle area, but with so many scenarios already. Maybe I will reconsider:unsure:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Typically I dont pay attention or care about any other designs on a specific battle. I do my own thing.
The problem here is that I was immediately influenced once I realized it. FW is kind of a classic. If I were to change the boards, the OB a bit, and the MGs, I would feel like I was just taking FW and updating it.
I thought about doing something completely different on the battle area, but with so many scenarios already. Maybe I will reconsider:unsure:
There would be pros and cons for revising Fighting Withdrawal. IMO a great scenario and an update might get those who have never played it a reason to. Still when you mess with a classic it is bound to irritate someone.

Interesting thread.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Too true, some scenarios are strictly off-limits for revision. But there are several Finnish scenarios (Annual mostly) that could stand a revision of the Finnish OB concerning SW substitution. Perhaps someone from the HP design team could put out a substitute matrix for them.
Latest on re-designs here.