Can't write log file - suggestions?

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I am running VASSAL 3.4.6 and VASL 6.6.1 and have just encountered a problem trying to write a logfile.
I load my opponents log, start stepping through it, then commence my log, finish his moves, go through my actions then hit end log and get the following message

VASSAL was unable to write the file 'C:\Users\Adam\Desktop\J60 011.vlog'.

I am not doing anything I normally do not do. I have tried twice and get the same "unable to write" message.

The complete error message is:

java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: C:\Users\Adam\AppData\Local\Temp\vassal_17713901474672074545\savedGame_12008910436352192089
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.translateToIOException(WindowsException.java:85)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:103)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:108)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystemProvider.newByteChannel(WindowsFileSystemProvider.java:235)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.newByteChannel(Files.java:375)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.createFile(Files.java:652)
at java.base/java.nio.file.TempFileHelper.create(TempFileHelper.java:137)
at java.base/java.nio.file.TempFileHelper.createTempFile(TempFileHelper.java:160)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.createTempFile(Files.java:872)
at VASSAL.tools.io.ZipArchive.makeTempFileFor(ZipArchive.java:410)
at VASSAL.tools.io.ZipArchive.getOutputStream(ZipArchive.java:269)
at VASSAL.tools.io.ZipArchive.getOutputStream(ZipArchive.java:241)
at VASSAL.tools.io.ZipArchive.add(ZipArchive.java:313)
at VASSAL.build.module.BasicLogger.write(BasicLogger.java:326)
at VASSAL.build.module.BasicLogger$1.actionPerformed(BasicLogger.java:484)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1967)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2308)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:405)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:262)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:369)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(BasicMenuItemUI.java:1012)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(BasicMenuItemUI.java:1056)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6614)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3342)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6379)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2263)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4990)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2321)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4822)
at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4919)
at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4548)
at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4489)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2307)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2769)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4822)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:772)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:721)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:715)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:391)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:85)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:95)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(EventQueue.java:745)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(EventQueue.java:743)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:391)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:85)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:742)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:203)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:124)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:113)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:109)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:90)
Suppressed: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: C:\Users\Adam\AppData\Local\Temp\vassal_17713901474672074545\J60 011_7342596350064596213.vlog
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.translateToIOException(WindowsException.java:85)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:103)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:108)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystemProvider.newByteChannel(WindowsFileSystemProvider.java:235)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.newByteChannel(Files.java:375)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.createFile(Files.java:652)
at java.base/java.nio.file.TempFileHelper.create(TempFileHelper.java:137)
at java.base/java.nio.file.TempFileHelper.createTempFile(TempFileHelper.java:160)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.createTempFile(Files.java:872)
at VASSAL.tools.io.ZipArchive.makeTempFileFor(ZipArchive.java:410)
at VASSAL.tools.io.ZipArchive.writeToDisk(ZipArchive.java:497)
at VASSAL.tools.io.ZipArchive.close(ZipArchive.java:387)
at VASSAL.build.module.BasicLogger.write(BasicLogger.java:325)
... 38 more

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
I know this was something they were trying to address at some point in VASSAL 3.4.x
I'm not aware of a workaround off-hand.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I would be pretty sure this is a VASSAL not VASL issue. Make sure you have sent a bug report to VASSAL.

In my experience most problems writing .vsav or .vlog files have to do with directory issues. Are you trying to save the .vlog to a directory that you have access to? Is it the same as your saved games directory? Sounds like you have done this before so I would be surprised if this were the problem in your case but always worth checking.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The file should have been saved to my desktop which is how I've been doing it for years. Having it there reminds me to email it if I am doing a few files in a row.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The file should have been saved to my desktop which is how I've been doing it for years. Having it there reminds me to email it if I am doing a few files in a row.
OK well if nothing has changed (no system upgrades at your end), then it is either a VASL bug or a VASSAL bug. I would start first with VASSAL and submit a bug report the next time you get the error message.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
download another vassal exe....could be corrupted

I had mine just freeze up...I have to CNLT end task..
THen connection to server not possible nor the VASL symbol bothered to show up.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Are you Adam of
C:\Users\Adam\Desktop\J60 011.vlog'

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Not sure what the issue is..I followed your save path and had noissues.

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You're likely seeing a problem we fixed after 3.4.6. I'd try 3.5.3 or 3.4.13 if you want to stay with 3.4.