can't run v. 8.01, help!

glendalough

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I downloaded and installed SP WaW 8.01 and tried running it by clicking on the SPWAW.exe file. I got an error "the dynamic link library d3d9.dll could not be found in the specified path....", etc. Luckily, I managed to find the .DLL online and placed it in the SP folder and fixed that.

But now I'm encountering a NEW error... "The procedure entry point DdEntry10 could not be located in the dynamic link library DDRAW.dll."

Perhaps there is a general FAQ for any/all Win2000 related issues?

Help!

(thanks)

Matt

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is a new oe for me. Have't seen that particular error message. When you did the install did everything seem to go as it should?

Hogg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
missing dll's and paths etc - sounds like a good case for a deletion and a clean install?

glendalough

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
still not working

I uninstalled and reinstalled. It did so without error and the game said it was correctly loaded. I even made sure I had the correct version of DirectX (apparently cause of earlier error) but am STILL getting the "...DdEntry 10 could not be located.... DDRAW.dll" error as before, when I try to launch spwaw.exe.

Thanks for your responses. Let me know if anyone thinks of another approach.

Matt

glendalough

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks. I did try the mech.exe, but get a "Direct Draw initialization error...blah, blah, blah." I'm going to have my bro-in-law (a comp. wiz) take a look, but may just have him help me run the original SP I on my PC since this "new" Windows version is just too buggy for my taste. Too bad....!

Matt

Goblin said:
Try launching from the mech.exe, see if that works.

Goblin

Last edited:

Goblin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Its a shame to see you not be able to play. Try posting in the Tech Support or SPWaW section of the Matrix forums or the Tech Support section of The Depot forums too. You never know who might be able to help! It is worth the try.

Goblin

Hogg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think I might have the answer!

Yesterday, I installed spwaw v8 on a laptop, that was running a clean install of win 98.

It refused to play because it reported a missing dll file.

Using your idea of downloading the missing dll, I stumbled across the answer - the dll my machine wanted was part of 'direct draw' - a function of directx, microsoft's gaming api.

I note your machine is whining about direct draw as well?

Anyway, went to the microsoft site and downloaded the latest version of directx (9.0b, I think!), and all is now fine, including loading from the main splash screen menu.

I would suggest installing the latest directx and see what happens!

Try here.....

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/

Hope this cures it!

Hogg.

glendalough

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to try a clean install on another machine with the 9.0b DirectX(it didn't seem to take on my machine).

BTW, I note that unlike me, you ran yours on Win98 whereas I was using Win2000. I'm going to set up a new drive on my home PC with Win98 and see how that goes. An interesting experiment! I'll be reporting back. As noted above, it would be nice to see the improvements over my ancient version of SP I!

Matt

Hogg said:
I think I might have the answer!

Yesterday, I installed spwaw v8 on a laptop, that was running a clean install of win 98.... Anyway, went to the microsoft site and downloaded the latest version of directx (9.0b, I think!), and all is now fine, including loading from the main splash screen menu.

I would suggest installing the latest directx and see what happens!

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
glendalough said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to try a clean install on another machine with the 9.0b DirectX(it didn't seem to take on my machine).
Please keep us updated. This is not a problem that I have seen come up before and I think you have piqued our interest :crosseye:

Trust me you will be amazed at how far this game has come from the original SP1 game.

OK - Before your SPWAW gurus correct me, I know SPWAW was built using the SP3 Online game engine but it was designed to reflect the SP1 scale (individual vehicles, squads and section) more or less.

Hogg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dear DD.

As if we dare correct one as mighty as you!

;)

For info, I am running spwaw on my desktop machine under xp, and have had no problems.

I have just put it on my laptop, under '98, and had the dll problem.

As far as 2000 goes - correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that (effectively!) NT6? NT was never slanted towards multimedia and games the way that 9x and xp are.

Interesting to see the different problems under the different OS's!

glendalough

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks DD. My brother-in-law is about halfway through this and I'll post as soon as we get it resolved (or break the computer!).

Matt

Double Deuce said:
Please keep us updated. This is not a problem that I have seen come up before and I think you have piqued our interest :crosseye:

Trust me you will be amazed at how far this game has come from the original SP1 game.

OK - Before your SPWAW gurus correct me, I know SPWAW was built using the SP3 Online game engine but it was designed to reflect the SP1 scale (individual vehicles, squads and section) more or less.

Belisarius

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Would be intersting to see the results.

My bids are on DirectX compability issues, or graphic card drivers.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My vote is the culprit is partly your OS.

I have lost track of how many times I have heard someone say their game didn't cooperate in Win 2000 or Win ME.

I have to say, that those two OSs seem to be the two most worthless creations by MS ever.

I have run SP all versions through 98SE as well as XP, and never experienced anything that deserves being called "buggy" in my experience.

Usually when I here the phrase "missing file such and such" it means either a bad download occurred, or the OS or operating environment is not up to the needs of the program.
It is rarely the actual program at fault.

Hogg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree that the os is probably at fault.

NT5 and 2000 where Microsoft's 'grown up' os's for 'real' uses like business - with the premium on file security and disk reliability. 9x et al where the lightweight 'games' os's, and the multimedia efforts went into them.

Microfsoft finally wised up that business and home users would want both features - and it is darned sight cheaper to develop and support only one os.

My vote? Migrate to 98 or xp!

:devil:

Belisarius

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Don't go W98!! :surprise: I've been down that road once and I strongly advice everyone to not go in there. Brrr... 98 is just 95 but with even more 'features' that can crash the system.

XP works nice, though.