Cant Fortify Rubble

Dualnet

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi All

The rules are clear, unless im missing something, but I wondered what the logic was in not allowing the fortifying of a rubble building hex. I would seem logical that rubble would be more easily used to fortify the area.

23.9 FORTIFIED BUILDINGS: Given sufficient time, materials, and inclination, buildings can be converted into miniature fortresses. The actual effects might vary widely (depending on the materials available), but are generalized as follows.

Regards

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I've always seen a rubbled building hex as whe parts of the wall have come down, etc. So fortifying something without intact walls, etc. would/should be harder, IMO.

But in the end, it's really a design question for those who wrote the rules back in 1985. :)

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
What is strange is that an internal factory can be fortified it has no walls and is a massive open area, until of course it gets rubbled at which point it then can’t be a fortified building.

A roofless factory is even stranger whilst it is roofless and has debris it can be a fortified building but if it is rubbled it can’t !!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Hi All

The rules are clear, unless im missing something, but I wondered what the logic was in not allowing the fortifying of a rubble building hex. I would seem logical that rubble would be more easily used to fortify the area.

23.9 FORTIFIED BUILDINGS: Given sufficient time, materials, and inclination, buildings can be converted into miniature fortresses. The actual effects might vary widely (depending on the materials available), but are generalized as follows.

Regards
Monte Cassino would be an example of this but I suppose it comes down to what the designers meant as fortified.

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Andy Hershey used the following for an SSR in a recent Dispatches RB scenario:

"Place stone rubble in hexes P19 and Q14. These rubble Locations are treated as a Fortified Location for purposes of: denying enemy entry/ advance/DC Breach/DC Breach attack, but are otherwise treated as ordinary stone rubble (i.e., TEM, LOS, etc)."

So if the situation warrants it, just come up with an SSR tailored to that situation.