Cannot get CTRL-key keyboard combinations to work

Jumbo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok, got VASL installed and am playing with a PzJg Tiger, and I can't get the CTRL key combos to work with the keys. I can move the Vehicle around with the touchpad, but not the CTRL-key combos.
I tried googling this but got no answers that I was able to use.
Thanks.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I think that you can toggle their use in the Preferences menu.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ok, got VASL installed and am playing with a PzJg Tiger, and I can't get the CTRL key combos to work with the keys. I can move the Vehicle around with the touchpad, but not the CTRL-key combos.
I tried googling this but got no answers that I was able to use.
Thanks.
Assuming you are on a Mac (touchpad) .. I couldn't either til I got a keyboard with a number pad.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I mean the VASSAL ASL module's preferences.

Jumbo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay, let me try that.
Thank you very much.

Jumbo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do not see anything in VASL preferences about changing how the CTRL key works.
I am still stuck with not being able to use CTRL-key combos.
Thanks.

ColinJ

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I do not see anything in VASL preferences about changing how the CTRL key works.
I am still stuck with not being able to use CTRL-key combos.
Thanks.
The computer keycodes for the number pad numbers and the horizontal row of numbers on a qwerty keyboard are different. I am assuming the VASL S/W is looking for the CTRL+Num_Pad codes to move units. Without a number pad, the ctrl+num won't work. This was implied in HongKongWarGamers post above. I think you'll need to get a number pad.

Colin

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I have a Mac with no number pad; the Ctrl combos work fine. You can also right-click on any counter with a mouse.

VASL is the only program with which I use the Ctrl key. I suggest confirming that your key is working in some other way; perhaps the Mac special character utility.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have a Mac with no number pad; the Ctrl combos work fine. You can also right-click on any counter with a mouse.

VASL is the only program with which I use the Ctrl key. I suggest confirming that your key is working in some other way; perhaps the Mac special character utility.
Are you able to move stacks with CTRL-1 etc combos? Other CTRL combo work for me as well. Just can’t move stacks with CTRL-number combos.

ColinJ

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Are you able to move stacks with CTRL-1 etc combos? Other CTRL combo work for me as well. Just can’t move stacks with CTRL-number combos.
Just tried the ctrl-num combinations on a Windows 10 Laptop and they did not work. I attached the number pad and the Ctrl-Num works fine. Just for completeness, the ctrl-alpha shortcuts work fine.

VASL was probably designed for desktops that have extended keyboards. With smaller laptops, without a number pad, becoming the norm out there, it would be nice if both types of numbers could be added into the shortcuts in the next release.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just tried the ctrl-num combinations on a Windows 10 Laptop and they did not work. I attached the number pad and the Ctrl-Num works fine. Just for completeness, the ctrl-alpha shortcuts work fine.

VASL was probably designed for desktops that have extended keyboards. With smaller laptops, without a number pad, becoming the norm out there, it would be nice if both types of numbers could be added into the shortcuts in the next release.
Aye .. hence I bought a keyboard with a number pad.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
As I don't have an English keyboard configuration, some combos are not easy if not possible to use, such as the Ctrl-opening/closing bracket ones...

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I have never, ever tried that; even when using my laptop without a mouse. I always click and drag. I tried it because you mentioned it. Ctrl+number does nothing on my Mac. I agree that VASL was designed with extended keyboards in mind. The following image shows that the Ctrl+num commands expect something different from the Ctrl+alpha commands.

Jumbo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I figured out what I have been doing wrong.
Much gratitude to all who took time to guide me to understanding this.
Thank you all very much.