Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
You choose one of the vertexes as on the picture of C8.4.
You roll a DR.
If equal or less than the depletion number, the attack occurs (if less than depletion number, you can try for canister on another occasion).
The DR is used as an IFT attack against all among the three hexes sharing the vertex which are in LOS.
The adjacent hex along the LOS to the vertex is attacked as Area Fire.
You also can fire at a building level two hexes away, and the attack affects the levels one over and one under the aimed level.

Lorenzoknight

Reaction score
First name
Lawrence
Country
llUnited States
You choose one of the vertexes as on the picture of C8.4.
You roll a DR.
If equal or less than the depletion number, the attack occurs (if less than depletion number, you can try for canister on another occasion).
The DR is used as an IFT attack against all among the three hexes sharing the vertex which are in LOS.
The adjacent hex along the LOS to the vertex is attacked as Area Fire.
You also can fire at a building level two hexes away, and the attack affects the levels one over and one under the aimed level.
Ok. In the example, in the rulebook, Hexes Z5, AA6 are at full FB and Hexes Z4, AA5, and BB5 are at half FP?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Ok. In the example, in the rulebook, Hexes Z5, AA6 are at full FB and Hexes Z4, AA5, and BB5 are at half FP?
The reverse: hexes Z5-CC4, Z4-BB5 would be at full FP, while Z5, AA6 are at half FP. Note that only three of the full FP and one-two of the half FP hexes would actually be affected, depending on the chosen vertex aiming point.

JR

Lorenzoknight

Reaction score
First name
Lawrence
Country
llUnited States
The reverse: hexes Z5-CC4, Z4-BB5 would be at full FP, while Z5, AA6 are at half FP. Note that only three of the full FP and one-two of the half FP hexes would actually be affected, depending on the chosen vertex aiming point.

JR
OK. What if I chose the CC5, BB4 and BB5 vertex. Which hexes are affected?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Correct. The reason the near hex is at half FP is probably because the shot has not had time/distance to spread out and so only affects a small part of the near hex. Don't think about the geometry too hard though.

JR

Lorenzoknight

Reaction score
First name
Lawrence
Country
llUnited States
Correct. The reason the near hex is at half FP is probably because the shot has not had time/distance to spread out and so only affects a small part of the near hex. Don't think about the geometry too hard though.

JR
Thanks. My Wife and I are going to play scouts out and wanted to make sure we had the rule down.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
EDIT: I GOT THAT ONE WRONG
Canister is a case where having Friendly units between the firer and the target prevents firing, as you cannot fire upon friendly units (with exceptions, as usual - A7.4 ... A unit/weapon may purposely attack a friendly unit(s) only if specifically allowed to by the rules governing a particular circumstance (e.g., Prisoners, Melee, OBA), Area Target Type vs enemy units [C3.33]).

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Canister is a case where having Friendly units between the firer and the target prevents firing,...
It does not - as friendly units (not in Melee) are not affected by Canister.

Errata in ASL Journal 11:
C8.4: line 15, after “of all hexes” add “per A7.4”.

Q&A
A7.4, C8.4, C8.41, & D3.44
C8.4 indicates that Canister “affects all occupants of all hexes at that elevation”, does that include friendly units? If yes, does A7.4
preclude firing at a vertex aiming point which could affect friendly units?
A. No (unless they are in Melee). NA.

C8.41 also allows Canister to attack the adjacent hex at half firepower, will that attack friendly units? If Yes, is the overall attack
then precluded by A7.4?
A. No (unless they are in Melee). NA.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Klas has struck again my ignorance.
Thank you.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
While this is NA, i would like Cannister to hit friends and foes alike because it would give Cannister a personality of its own and create nerve-wracking tactical dilemma in confused situations. Also i don't see how the 122 steel balls in a 37mm shell spare the buddies but strike the baddies.

Dagney

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi guys,

if fired as DFF, does cannister leave residual fire in the 4 hexes (as 6,6,6,2)?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
if fired as DFF, does cannister leave residual fire in the 4 hexes (as 6,6,6,2)?
I do not think so.

Q&A:
A8.1 & C8.4
If firing Canister at a moving unit in Defensive First Fire, are non-moving units located in the other hexes of the vertex aiming
point also hit by Canister?
A. No; only moving units will be affected with Canister DFF.

A8.2:
"When a unit is attacked by Defensive First Fire/Subsequent First Fire/FPF, the target Location in which the attack is resolved (even if in Bypass) is marked with a Residual FP counter..."

I.e., Residual FP is only placed in a target Location in which a unit is attacked. The exceptions I can think of at the moment are Spraying Fire and a strafing run by Air Support.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Why would canister be conceptually different from spraying fire (leaving rfp in one empty hex) or a strafing plane (leaving rfp in three empty hexes)? That escapes me.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I think it is specifically spelled out in the two other rules. Therein lies the rules-difference I think.

Granted, it might be like that because no one has ever asked for a Q&A for the Canister case.

Dagney

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Dammit! I think you are right Klas. There is no specific exemption mentioned for canister like there is for spraying fire.

turlusiflu

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I don't understand the way LOS is managed with canister. The rule says "...LOS to the vertex aiming point is not required. "

Is it required to have LOS to any (or all) of the affected hexes?

What does "...barring obstacles in the first hex of the cluster ..." mean?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
You check LOS after having declared you fired anyway
Any of the targets in Locations out of LOS are not affected.
Better keep things simple.