Can you edit globally?

jaw

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm trying to edit the combat values in EL ALAMEIN '42, but it seems I have to edit each unit individually. Is there any way to edit unit types "globally" rather than each unit one at a time?

Jim Wirth

RickyB

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
jaw said:
I'm trying to edit the combat values in EL ALAMEIN '42, but it seems I have to edit each unit individually. Is there any way to edit unit types "globally" rather than each unit one at a time?

Jim Wirth
Hi Jim,

If you change a unit's values, do a save. Then you can choose Components - Update Values or Update Unit Values to update all units from the saved ratings, or I believe the second does just the currently highlighted unit. You should see all values update at that point. You should use a copy of the OOB to do this, and you might want to do a save all first, which I believe will save all current unit values, before changing any, as the units.dat might have different values than what is in the OOB, thus making changes you may not desire.

Good luck,
Rick

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
jaw said:
Thanks Rick, I'll give it a shot.

Jim Wirth
Jim:

Keep in mind the Global Edit function works from inside each NATION so if you change the Value of say a British 25 pdr and update the component, only the BRITISH 25-pdrs are affected. You have to repeat the procedure for Commonwealth for example.

Also note the The update Value doesn't change or update the Strength of Quality. Strength has a separate menu item and Quality changes are not changed globally.

Glenn

Arimus

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can also open up the OOB in notepad and do a find/replace.
Or, copy/paste from another OOB.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
You can also open up the OOB in notepad and do a find/replace.
Or, copy/paste from another OOB.

That is do-able too, but it is also tricky too as I can thnk of a number of cases where this could cause problems too, depending how extensive the change might be.

Arimus

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The only problem I have run into so far is duplicate unit numbers, which can be a pain. But, the scenario editor calls them out and the location.

Edit: If I am copying a unit from another OOB, I make sure that the unit is removed from the scenario first.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The only problem I have run into so far is duplicate unit numbers, which can be a pain. But, the scenario editor calls them out and the location.

Edit: If I am copying a unit from another OOB, I make sure that the unit is removed from the scenario first.
OK - I guess I was on a different tact.

Say you want to globally change a value for the component named:

8.8cm Flak 18 (mot)

Maybe you want to increase the hard attack value or the speed. I know these values are stored in the OOB and I know they can be changed in the OOB with a text editor. I also know there is German, SS-German and Luftwaffe componets with this same name and there are over 60 of them in the Nov OOB.

Sure - you can manaully change all in a text editor if you want to. But you can globally do it with the editor and the data files, for all three nations much quicker I figure.

Glenn

Arimus

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The OOB Editor lacks some global editing functions, but other than that it is good. One thing that is missing that was in the old campaign series was moving a formation out or into a parent (left and right arrows). That would be handy to have.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The OOB Editor lacks some global editing functions, but other than that it is good. One thing that is missing that was in the old campaign series was moving a formation out or into a parent (left and right arrows). That would be handy to have.
Well Arimus - I am afraid I don't see any need to replicate that feature in the PcOOB - not only on account of copyright - but it isn't a feature I need really.

I've spent a lot of time with the editor and I confess that sometimes for some things I use NOTEPAD myself - but if I needed a feature in PCOOB, John has been fairly willing to make changes. He recently added something that most people wouldn't even notice (as you will see when the new title is released) but I sure find it handy.

So, if you think there is something PCOOB needs to have and you care to drop me an email message - if such a feature is useful to us making the new titles, we can certainly keep it in mind.

I can be reached through the contact section of my website.
http://members.shaw.ca/gcsaunders/welcome.html

I won't put the address here as I don't need the spam, but I am pretty easy to find. And I'll keep an open mind if you've got an idea for something that I would find useful for the PzC Editors.

Glenn

Arimus

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, maybe you can give me some tips on how you move units around in your oob.
I'm guessing you create a master OOB and crop/use it for all scenarios. What if later on you realize that a Corps was supposed to be attached to a different HQ or a division to a different Corps. Won't copying it in the OOB and then deleting it cause an error in all the scenarios where it is used?
From what I can tell, to move a unit later in the design process, you have to remove it from all the scenarios it is used, copy it, delete the original, then reposition it in the scenerios.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well, maybe you can give me some tips on how you move units around in your oob. I'm guessing you create a master OOB and crop/use it for all scenarios.
There is no reason to Crop the OOB. Not sure what game you are playing but most since PzC#2 all us a Master OOB. Smolensk was developed before my time and it uses many smaller OOBs - (I can't explain why - I wasn't involved). If you look at Mike Avanzini's Battle Pack II for Smolesnk, I think you will see all those S41 Scn mikes MASTER OOB.

What if later on you realize that a Corps was supposed to be attached to a different HQ or a division to a different Corps. Won't copying it in the OOB and then deleting it cause an error in all the scenarios where it is used?
In this instance I would use the Scn editor Corps Attachment rules to link the units to another Corps.

From what I can tell, to move a unit later in the design process, you have to remove it from all the scenarios it is used, copy it, delete the original, then reposition it in the scenerios.
There is no MOVE Function in the OOB. You can Copy and paste a Unit from one place to another, but when you do that makes two units and the second one must have different unit IDs. You could make a arguement for MOVING bu that would create a problem for the Scn Editor because each Unit can only have ONE ID, so it would be a problem if two units in any OOB had the same ID Number - the Scn wouldn't know which one to use.

Anyway - I guess you need to finalize your OOB before you build your Scns. But that isn't really much different than the Talonsoft Campaign Series because if you take a unit out of the OOB there and the Scn uses it - it will also cause a problem.

If you have a specific problem and you need help with it don't hesistant to drop me a line by email and I'll do what I can to assist you.

Glenn

Arimus

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the feedback. I don't have any specific issues right now, just learning the game.

I'm playing the stalingrad game and it contains a large OOB file plus several smaller ones that look to be subsets of that.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks for the feedback. I don't have any specific issues right now, just learning the game.

I'm playing the stalingrad game and it contains a large OOB file plus several smaller ones that look to be subsets of that.
Thanks for the info - the larger Stalingrad OOB wasn't actually suppose to ship with the game. I did develop the OOB using ONE file but the reason for this approach helps illustrate the nice thing about Globally editing values in the OOB. I knew we had three separate sections of periods and doing the preliminary work in ONE single master OOB made certain that a Tank type or Gun in one period had the same value in all the periods.

I learned the hard way - in Korsun 44 - where we hand five separate OOB files that if you wanted to change a value on a T-34 you had to open 5 different files and make two global changes each - one for Russian and one for Russian-Guards. Using one file like I did in Stalingrad and Alamein made certain all the vlaues stayed consistent as we developed the game further.

Glenn

jaw

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Glenn wrote:

the larger Stalingrad OOB wasn't actually suppose to ship with the game. I did develop the OOB using ONE file but the reason for this approach helps illustrate the nice thing about Globally editing values in the OOB. I knew we had three separate sections of periods and doing the preliminary work in ONE single master OOB made certain that a Tank type or Gun in one period had the same value in all the periods.
Glenn, based on your comment above, could you please clarify something for me. I'm in the process of editing the Uranus campaign scenario and I want to add Explicit Supply. I saw the supply units in the master Stalingrad OOB and thought I was okay. I don't think there are supply units in the period OOBs (I'm replying from work without the game in front of me). Do I have to add supply units to the November OOB (if not there already) to have them in the Uranus scenario?

Jim Wirth

jaw

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Glenn, I'll do that. BTW, I noticed among the Supply Units in the Stalingrad OOB, a type called Supply Drop, but I can find no reference to supply drops in the rules. What is a Supply Drop?

Jim Wirth

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks Glenn, I'll do that. BTW, I noticed among the Supply Units in the Stalingrad OOB, a type called Supply Drop, but I can find no reference to supply drops in the rules. What is a Supply Drop?

Jim Wirth
There is no special rules for them so nothing to cover in the DOCs. Basically these units function like a DEPOT - IE no movement like a Truck, Wagon or Mule. They are generally much smaller than Depots and we have a separate cover so we can show a picture of a Parachute in the unit Window.

The idea is these Exp Supply units would arrive as reinforcement using the check box ON for para which triggers a sound when they arrive AND generally they are set to scatter when they arrive. But all of these issues are controlled by the basic game rules.

...it would just look silly to have a DEPOT with the pile of supply as shown by the default image, just appear out of no where.

Glenn

jaw

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Glenn wrote:

The idea is these Exp Supply units would arrive as reinforcement using the check box ON for para which triggers a sound when they arrive AND generally they are set to scatter when they arrive. But all of these issues are controlled by the basic game rules.
Are parachute dropped Supply units subject to air interdiction and can you set the probablility of scatter in the PDT? The reason I ask this is these "Supply Drops" could be a neat way of simulating the Luftwaffe air supply effort if you could guarantee they would "land" in a particular hex (e.g. Gumrak airfield). Random air interdiction would be nice (but not necessary) to have also.

Jim Wirth

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Glenn wrote:
Are parachute dropped Supply units subject to air interdiction...
Interdiction, as a game function is triggered by movement and thee units can't move. However you could set the probablity of arriving with a low value and you can check ON Check Once daily if you are after variation.

You can also set a PERCENTAGE loss value in the PDT - as the Sicily drop was much bloodier than N44 and the MG44 losses on the drop itself we next to none. So this too is controllable within the game.

and can you set the probablility of scatter in the PDT?
Scatter is defined in the reinforcement dialog. You set the number of hexes it might scatter too. You can control this more if you set some to no scatter, some to 1 hex, and some to 2 hexes ect ect.

The reason I ask this is these "Supply Drops" could be a neat way of simulating the Luftwaffe air supply effort if you could guarantee they would "land" in a particular hex (e.g. Gumrak airfield).
... then you would set NO SCATTER or leave the value at zero.[/QUOTE]

Random air interdiction would be nice (but not necessary) to have also.
It wouldn't be "interdiction" so much as non-arrival due to the percantage chance of arriving.

The check ONCE Daily Flag might also be useful - this was added in MG44 as the follow up troops were delayed of course but it wasn't a case of one or two turns, rather it was days.

Air Reinforcements by GROUPS is controlled by a ZERO percent arrival - that is if you have X number of units and you want them to arrive with Y percentage, but you don't want SOME you want all or nothing - then you set the first unit of the group to arrive with Y% and all the others with ZERO %. When the first one (with Y%) arrives, the follow on units with ZERO also arrive.

All in all I think the system can do a lot with the values and things you can adjust.

Glenn