Can losses be recovered during a campaign/scenario?

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Didn't see the sense in opening a new thread for a single Q, so...

Can losses be recovered during a campaign/scenario? I'm currently in the middle of my traditional Gettysburg scenario (start on July 1...) and noticed losses don't seem to be recovered over night or if pulled out of the line.

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Re: A few questions

They can't be recovered during a single scenario, only if you are playing in the Campaign engine & then it occurs between battles at various rates depending on how many days pass between the battles.

RhondaBrwn

Reaction score
Re: A few questions

They can't be recovered during a single scenario, only if you are playing in the Campaign engine & then it occurs between battles at various rates depending on how many days pass between the battles.
I thought it was a standard 10% reinforcement rate so this is interesting. So, if you only have a couple of days between battles, you might not see much reinforcement occur at all? Is there a formula for # of days equals reinforcement rate?

I am in the middle of an Antietam campaign and noticed that Jackson's Brigade that got totally mauled in the introductory battle is still so weak as to be useless.

rahamy

Reaction score
From the Chancelorsville designers notes:

The following is a description of how unit strength is replenished. So if the interval between battles is 6 days, a unit will regain 10% of its original strength, etc...
1 to 6 days is 10%
7 to 13 days is 20%
14 to 30 days is 30%
31 to 59 days is 40%
60 days or over is 50%

RhondaBrwn

Reaction score
From the Chancelorsville designers notes:

The following is a description of how unit strength is replenished. So if the interval between battles is 6 days, a unit will regain 10% of its original strength, etc...
1 to 6 days is 10%
7 to 13 days is 20%
14 to 30 days is 30%
31 to 59 days is 40%
60 days or over is 50%
Thanks for the fast response.

It would appear feasible to someday create a "Grand Campaign" module that could utilize Gettysburg, Antietam, Chancellorsville, and Penninsula maps and scenarios to refight the entire Eastern campaign. Now if the OOB will eventually be unlocked for user modding, do you see this as a project that might one day materialize? Either as a user created mod or as an official HPS "add on" project?

rahamy

Reaction score
JT has said that he will unlock the ACW OOB's once the series has run its course...which isn't that far away in the scheme of things.

Some discussion has been underway among the team about a grand campaign as you mention, but JT doesn't think it would be feasible to do at the tactical level with operational choices. He leans more towards a strategic game...time will tell if it comes to pass...as it stands we have a good chunk of the central east coast of the US mapped at the tactical level, so it is possible to make it happen.

Hairog

adfads
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JT has said that he will unlock the ACW OOB's once the series has run its course...which isn't that far away in the scheme of things.

Some discussion has been underway among the team about a grand campaign as you mention, but JT doesn't think it would be feasible to do at the tactical level with operational choices. He leans more towards a strategic game...time will tell if it comes to pass...as it stands we have a good chunk of the central east coast of the US mapped at the tactical level, so it is possible to make it happen.
OMG your not kidding. This would be the holy grail of civil war games. Please do it. Now I have something to live for. What a concept . :nuts: Holy schmit and make it multi-player ....

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia

He may be right - in terms of a product; significant leader losses would lead to some significant organizational restructuring within armies. I'm learning all about specific nuances like that all of the time; but the Chancellorsville/Gettysburg reorganization of the Army of Northern Virginia comes to mind - e.g. when Jackson was lost at Chancellorsville the ANV had had 2 corps- afterwards Lee split it up to 3 corps. I don't have enough experience with the campaign editor (well any really), to really know how many of those OOB structural changes that could realistically be built into a campaign tree - but I would guess that it might take a significant amount of work (and even then might still not be able to work). Just my 2 cents on the system as it stands....

but... I know of at least existing ( or it existed - it may well be dormant) - which no matter what the current status is (you have to dig to find it) - gives you an idea of what can be done.

http://www.wargame.ch/board/acw/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=9896

krmiller_usa

Reaction score
Hank Smith's FTW is currently halted. Hank handled all the oob work for that system and maintained records of unit strengths for it. I understand he plans to start it up again someday.