Can anyone remind me: What if system mis-assigns the wrong player control of concealment counters?

Johnne

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Hello everyone, Happy board-gaming!

I was just about to resume play of a saved scenario (and I admit it was not going that great), when we discovered a malfunction. My opponent, playing the American, has been assigned control over my German concealment counters. I can't see them, but my opponent, the American player can!

My opponent thinks it has to with what version of VASSAL / VASL we are using, and/or "what is my password" under Preferences / Personal. To me, all of that might be a bit of a crap shoot.

But I had one experienced opponent a week or 2 ago who seemed to know how to simply resolve that common mix-up. But I don't remember how he fixed it!

Could anybody on here remind me?

Tanks!

~John

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Sounds more like he created the concealment counter and was thusly made the owner, to me. Assuming you and he haven't been monkeying with your passwords.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hello everyone, Happy board-gaming!

I was just about to resume play of a saved scenario (and I admit it was not going that great), when we discovered a malfunction. My opponent, playing the American, has been assigned control over my German concealment counters. I can't see them, but my opponent, the American player can!

My opponent thinks it has to with what version of VASSAL / VASL we are using, and/or "what is my password" under Preferences / Personal. To me, all of that might be a bit of a crap shoot.

But I had one experienced opponent a week or 2 ago who seemed to know how to simply resolve that common mix-up. But I don't remember how he fixed it!

Could anybody on here remind me?

Tanks!

~John
Please have a look at your preferences:

My guess is that you allow your opponent to unconceal your units but he does not allow you to unconceal his.

Maybe if he takes off a concealment counter from one off your unit, 'ownership' of this concealment counter switches to him. If he puts it back on, then it would explain why you cannot unconceal afterwards.

The second possibilty is that you created the concealment counter.

The third that you mixed up passwords.

von Marwitz

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Please have a look at your preferences:

View attachment 15292

My guess is that you allow your opponent to unconceal your units but he does not allow you to unconceal his.

Maybe if he takes off a concealment counter from one off your unit, 'ownership' of this concealment counter switches to him. If he puts it back on, then it would explain why you cannot unconceal afterwards.

The second possibilty is that you created the concealment counter.

The third that you mixed up passwords.

von Marwitz
Also with this, if the other player "uncovers" the concealed guys by eliminating your concealment counter rather than just shifting it to the bottom of the stack and then re-conceals your stack by generating a concealment counter he will own that conter and thus be able to "see" your concealed units. I don't see this happening a lot, but perhaps in a temp-reveal situation it could be possible. More common is during a set up process with both sides set up on board and you allow your opponent to conceal your units prior to the start of the scenario (perhaps in a PBEM situation to save time/logs or in a CG for some reason), again the opponent would "own" your concealment counters. I could also see a condition where using a pre-set game setup the opponent conceals all of your units prior to setting up his forces.