Can anyone clarify the Smokestack Sniper rules?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Hi MMP, I just want to check that I have understood these rules correctly. If a smokestack sniper is activated on a sniper attack dr of 3 followed by a dr of 1-4 then one of the Russian controlled chimney stacks makes a random location DR. If there are no enemy units in the chosen location does A14.21 Alternate Target come into effect? Does the smokestack sniper attack the nearest unit (with the lowest TEM) to the random chosen location?

What if the nearest unit is 25 hexes away? Is there a range limit to the smokestack snipers effectiveness? At the start of RO CG I the enemy units will be entering the map on the West edge - can they be affected by the smokestack snipers?

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Me and my brother just started RO CGI and we are playing that yes they attack the nearest unit like a normal sniper; even if 25 hexes away. The problem is that at least early in the CG that target is 99.9% likely going to be the German Sniper counter. Which is fine to me as the Russian, maybe it will cost the German some CPP if his Sniper keeps getting knocked down.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Keep the German sniper counters close to the map edge until there are more units on map....

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The intent was to have the ‘3’ attack hit something around the smokestack. The rules wording became clunky during play test, and play testers were ok with letting it hit anywhere on the board.
After playing a few games with hitting nearest target no matter how far, just as with a normal sniper, I decided to let smokestack snipers hit anywhere. MMP left the wording very close to what I sent them so I assume it was left as intended.

Once the board becomes cluttered, the smokestack sniper will start to zero in around its home.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If there are no enemy units in the chosen location does A14.21 Alternate Target come into effect? Does the smokestack sniper attack the nearest unit (with the lowest TEM) to the random chosen location?
Yes. Yes.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The intent was to have the ‘3’ attack hit something around the smokestack. The rules wording became clunky during play test, and play testers were ok with letting it hit anywhere on the board.
After playing a few games with hitting nearest target no matter how far, just as with a normal sniper, I decided to let smokestack snipers hit anywhere. MMP left the wording very close to what I sent them so I assume it was left as intended.

Once the board becomes cluttered, the smokestack sniper will start to zero in around its home.
Thanks for the explanation....