Can anyone beat Ohio State?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
They're undefeated and the first team to ever achieve a 1.000 rating according to Sports Illustrated.

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Can anyone beat Ohio State?"

The Baltimore Ravens could beat them :crosseye:

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes. Ohio State's defense sucked on Saturday. They play someone with a quick defense and good secondary, I think they get beat in a horse race game.

I haven't seen Arkansas play in a while, but I hear they are playing well. I believe USC could have a good chance at beating them as well. I recall the same thing being said about Oklahoma a couple years back until they got their asses handed to them by K State and LSU. So much for the greatest team in history.

mfl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The team which plays them in the Nation Championship, can. And might. A lot of pressure. A question for you, should that team be Michigan? I think they had their chance, but........others would argue otherwise.

Mike

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The team which plays them in the Nation Championship, can. And might. A lot of pressure. A question for you, should that team be Michigan? I think they had their chance, but........others would argue otherwise.

Mike

Florida, Notre Dame...

That's who I'm rooting for......

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think any college team can beat them and there are a few pro teams that would have a hard time. They were impressive.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When you give up 39 points you aren't really that impressive. It was a great game to watch. Maybe if they were in Ann Arbor in front of 114,000 screaming UoM fans the outcome would have been different.

I think they can be beat by USC, Michigan , or ND if the stars are aligned. Doesn't mean they will be.

The problem is if they (OSU) face somebody other than Michigan and stomp them, then all the sports geniuses will say it should have been Michigan again. It has the potential to be a damned if you do, damned if you don't choice.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Mike

No. Michigan had their chance and lost it. The game was not as close as everyone is claiming. It was a good game, but not a great game where the lead changed hands several times, etc. Michigan was up in the 1st quarter and didn't see the lead again.

My vote would either be the winner of USC - ND or Florida - Ark. Probably have to go with USC as giving them the best game.

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"When you give up 39 points you aren't really that impressive."

It depends, it's not like Michigan had no offensive capability. They are a good team.
What I found more impressive was they scored 42 on what is arugably the best defense in the nation.

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Meechigan played a perfect game and OSU had 3 turnovers giving Meechigan 10 points. But with all that Meechigan still couldn't win. OSU was and is better coached than Meechigan and there team speed is to fast for Meechigan. ND is to slow also. USC and Maybe just maybe Florida has enough speed and coaching to play with the Buckeyes. I expect Meechigan to be preseason #1 next year or very close with USC and Florida.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They're undefeated and the first team to ever achieve a 1.000 rating according to Sports Illustrated.
Well, when you play in what amounts to a 2 team conference it's not as hard as it might seem.

Let OSU or USC or Notre Dame or whoever play a full SEC schedule and see how they fair. Could OSU beat LSU, Arkansas or Florida on any given day...sure...but could they beat them playing back to back over a 5 week period with say an Auburn, Tennessee and/or Georgia thrown in? Oh, and if you should run that table you still got to play one of those teams for the conference championship.

Please, the media have their darlings so it won't matter anyway. It will probably be OSU (no championship game so their in) vs either USC or Notre Dame. IOW, it will be the two most media hyped teams not the two best teams playing for the title.

What we need is a play-off system.

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Let OSU or USC or Notre Dame or whoever play a full SEC schedule and see how they fair."

You mean play teams like Kentucky, Vanderbilt and Mississippi? Those powerhouses? I think they'd do ok against them :D

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What I found more impressive was they scored 42 on what is arugably the best defense in the nation.
WHAT!?!?

They aren't even the best defense in the Big Ten (3rd) much less the nation (12th).

There are 3 SEC teams that rank higher in total defense than Michigan. OSU ranks 2nd in total defense...but still gave up 39 to a Michigan team that only ranks 24th in total offense. The reason that OSU ranks so high in total defense is because, except for Texas, Wisconsin and Michigan, they played a bunch of chumps. And Wisconsin/Michigan aren't all that good...they just play the same chumps that OSU played.

OSU opponents offensive rankings were abysmal...after Texas (2nd) it drops to Wisconsin(23) and Michigan(24)...after that it plummets. So no wonder OSU total defense ranks at 2nd nationally...the chump factor again.

OSU better hope they don't face Florida or Arkansas...if they do they get an a$$ wuppin...southern style. :laugh:

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Let OSU or USC or Notre Dame or whoever play a full SEC schedule and see how they fair."

You mean play teams like Kentucky, Vanderbilt and Mississippi? Those powerhouses? I think they'd do ok against them :D
There are cellar dwellers in every conference...OSU has a whole conference full to choose from and then goes out looking for more. :D

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OSU has already defeated the #2 ranked team twice.
Ranked by who...how?

Texas was the second game of the season...nobody was ranked in the BCS at that point. And, BTW, Texas ain't #2 now after falling to K-St. Which begs the question how good all those pundits have been so wrong when they had Texas as #2 in the AP? Could it be that they don't know $hit?

And Michigan...big woop...they hadn't played anybody up to that point so what had they done to be #2? The first really tough team they face and they get cracked...they are still #2 in the BCS...which is a travesty. I mean, what was the point in playing if you don't drop after a lose.

Anyway, the rankings a BS...the only way to truly prove it is a play-off system.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Yer tap dancing tater. The fact is, OSU has beaten every team that has been put before them--including the two teams ranked #2. One of those was from the north and the other from the south.

I could care less about rankings because it's all "eye of newt, wing of bat" in my view.