Can an inherent crew voluntary break?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Can the inherent crew of a vehicle, including hs, infantry crew or SMC(s) temporary crews, voluntary break?

JR

Last edited:

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Can the inherent crew of a vehicle, including hs, infantry crew or SMC(s) temporary crews, voluntary break?

JR
I asked this year's ago and the consensus was no as it is not in counter form. There was mno definitive answer at the time. I dont think it ever had a Perry Sez.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Vehicles certainly are. Can vehicles voluntarily break?
Well, per A10.4: "Broken units are inverted..." and since inverting a vehicle would probably turn it into a wreck, I think A10.41 does not allow it:
"(but only if breaking will not cause their immediate Reduction or elimination)."
:D :D :D

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well, per A10.4: "Broken units are inverted..." and since inverting a vehicle would probably turn it into a wreck, I think A10.41 does not allow it:
"(but only if breaking will not cause their immediate Reduction or elimination)."
:D :D :D
The vehicle's not eliminated....its still there....

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
A12.1... A vehicle that has neither an inherent crew, nor Passenger(s), nor Rider(s), is considered "broken" for "?" gain/loss purposes (i.e., such a vehicle can neither force loss of "?" nor block placement of "?")."
But that "broken" state is restricted to concealment gain or loss....

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If a vehicular crew fails a MC, the vehicle becomes stunned. Can the crew voluntarily become stunned? COWTRA suggests no.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What the circumstances when voluntary breaking a vehicle crew would be useful?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
For the record, I am pretty sure it isn't allowed, but if it were allowed, perhaps in a situation where the vehicle faced (almost) certain destruction it could be a away to (at least temporarily) save 2 CVP.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I was thinking about a scenario where several halftracks set up abandoned, and their true crews can't even set up in the same hex. Other infantry can, so one could have a temporary crew in them firing the MG while the true crew sprints to the batpole. The problem then is getting the temporary crew out and the real crew in. A vehicle can't be abandoned and manned in the same player turn, but if the temporary crew can voluntary break in the previous player turn, the true crew could remount in the next player turn with minimal loss of time

JR

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Now that is shaving 1mm from just one hair on the leg of a particular one of the infinite number of angels dancing on the head of a pin.

By the way, that's a compliment.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Now that is shaving 1mm from just one hair on the leg of a particular one of the infinite number of angels dancing on the head of a pin.

By the way, that's a compliment.
"We run in war, both in offense and in defense. When you can't run anymore, you die."

JR