Can a VCA change be combined with Extra MP Expenditure?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Situation:
A vehicle has entered a location with 2MP remaining. It wants to turn its VCA but remain in Motion.

Question:
Can the vehicle announce: "Turn for 2MP" with the intention of 'burning excess MP' or is that illegal and Turning always takes only 1 MP?

Rules reference would be appreciated.

TIA,
von Marwitz

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
A vehicle can always expend additional MPs to enter a Location:

D2.18 A vehicle is not prohibited from expending more MP to enter a hex than the minimum required, and may, as it enters a new hex, declare a higher-than-necessary MP expenditure.​
However, this doesn't address whether you can expend additional MPs in order to change CA or to Stop/Start. While I might allow this as a courtesy, I think a question to MMP would be needed to make this explicit. As written, I don't think the ASBRB allows it.

aneil1234

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
CA change per D2 movement chart. Backed up by D2.11 confirming what Binchois saud :)
You can always Spend MORE to enter a hex (And I highly recommend you do so when out of LoS of the bad guys)
And their is always delay (ie the good old 4 delay...... Start on 5 etc)

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

D2.18 A vehicle is not prohibited from expending more MP to enter a hex than the minimum required, and may, as it enters a new hex, declare a higher-than-necessary MP expenditure.​
However, this doesn't address whether you can expend additional MPs in order to change CA or to Stop/Start. While I might allow this as a courtesy, I think a question to MMP would be needed to make this explicit. As written, I don't think the ASBRB allows it.
But check out D2.17: The expenditure of MP without moving is termed Delay and can be used only while the vehicle is stopped or using platoon movement.

This is an independent basis (in addition to D2.17), yes? So, Stop, Delay, Start and then reacquire Motion in the usual fashion. Because you don't have the MFs to enter a new hex.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

That was my take. I agree, that the rules as written do not allow it.

Here some situations, in which it can make a difference:

One came up in my game today: A tank with 17MP enters a building at half MP-cost announcing "15 MP" to freeze my guys inside and wanting to stay in Motion. The tank passed the Bog check and thus there were still two MP to spend. Delay can only be spent while being stopped. Extra MP can only be expended as part of the entry-expenditure. So the tank could either stop (16MP) but making it more vulnerable to CC and attempt to restart (17MP) and subjecting it to Mechanical Reliability in our case. Or it could turn the VCA within the building twice (requiring a new Bog Check for each VCA change with the +3 applying for that VCA change within a Wooden Building even if already in the hex after entry but without the chance of rubbling the building/falling into the Cellar for these VCA changes if I understood the Q&A correctly)

You have a vehicle in Bypass and neglected and want to end the move with as few MPs spent in the enemies LOS as possible after pivoting on the CAFP or to avoid stopping (making you easier to hit or to attack). When about to pivot, you realize that you have more left than you need (possibly, because your Smoke Dispenser did not go off as planned as it always happens when you try to get out of a pinch...). If you could announce "Turn 2MP" instead of the "Turn 1 MP" according to the rules as written, this could save your unit.

von Marwitz

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can spend extra to enter a location in bypass but cannot spend extra MP to change CA and enter a new hexside. That is not entering a new hex. So if that CA change cannot be for more, then a CA in OG cannot be for more than is normal ... or any other terrain.

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
This is an independent basis (in addition to D2.17), yes? So, Stop, Delay, Start and then reacquire Motion in the usual fashion. Because you don't have the MFs to enter a new hex.
That’s cuz you don’t have any MFs at all! Ha ha ha ha! =)

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
You can spend extra to enter a location in bypass but cannot spend extra MP to change CA and enter a new hexside. That is not entering a new hex. So if that CA change cannot be for more, then a CA in OG cannot be for more than is normal ... or any other terrain.
Just to make it clear - if the second bypass hexside is between two bypassable hexsides, you can choose to bypass the other hex, and thus enter a new hex and overspend, right? (in most cases the choice of which hex to bypass will be made based on other considerations such as range and presence of enemy units, but just in case...)

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just to make it clear - if the second bypass hexside is between two bypassable hexsides, you can choose to bypass the other hex, and thus enter a new hex and overspend, right? (in most cases the choice of which hex to bypass will be made based on other considerations such as range and presence of enemy units, but just in case...)
Just like Vinnie said.

aloha_brian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can also just remain in motion without expending all of your MP if you don't have enough MP to enter the next location/hexside you want to enter. D2.4 second sentence "A vehicle may end its MPh in Motion without expending all of its MP only if it has insufficient MP remaining to enter the next hex it wishes to enter. So if you have spent 15 MP with a 17 MP vehicle in bypass motion you can state that you want to continue in bypass around the building but since that is 3 MP you just remain in motion ending that units MPh spending 15 MP and remaining in motion.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Indeed. This is a nice little trick that many people are not aware of.

Usually, you need to pre-plan it, though, for best effect. For example, it could allow you to prevent yourself from having to stop and thus making you more vulnerable in CC if a previously planned sD attempt fails and thus not consumes a MP that might otherwise have forced you to stop to spend it.

von Marwitz