Can a Smoke Mortar fire smoke at an adjacent higher level Steep hill?

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi gents,

Consider this:

Steep hills:
W1.32 FIRING RESTRICTIONS: All fire to/from a Steep Hills hex to/from an adjacent hex is treated as if occurring across a cliff hexside (B11.31-.32) if the target is at a different elevation than the firer...

Cliffs:
B11.32 Only an AA weapon, MG counter, SW, ATR, PIAT, MTR with minimum range of 1 hex and/or inherent Small Arms Fire may fire through a cliff hexside to an adjacent higher level Location.

Vehicular smoke dispensers:
D13.1 TYPES: ... A smoke dispenser is not considered a weapon [EXC: sN in CC].

So an adjacent higher level steep hill is treated as firing through a cliff if a weapon BUT a smoke dispenser is not considered a weapon. So I guess it would be legal for a Smoke Mortar fire smoke at an adjacent higher level Steep hill. My opponent is not so sure and I see his point because it doesn't fell like they should; on the other hand it is a smoke mortar so I can see arguments both for and against. In summary...we are unsure and confused LOL.

What say the masses?

Thanks,
John

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think that you just apply D13.32-

sM: A successfully fired sM places dispersed white smoke at the Base Level of any hex of the firer's choice that is at a range of 1-3 hexes from the AFV, is within its TCA and in its LOS

There is no prohibition against firing across a cliff hexside, so it is allowed. This is consistent with B11.32. The word “weapon” is used in relation to AA and does not limit the use of “MTR with a minimum range of one hex”.