Can a motion attempt result in reverse motion?

nouge

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Rani
Country
llAustralia
Just like it says on the tin: do you have the option of going into reverse motion if you succeed a motion attempt?

Reverse motion isn't mentioned in D2.401 (the section on motion attempts) – it just says the vehicle is "marked with a Motion counter" – but it seems like something that logically you should be able to do.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes per D2.24 "...the principles of and rules for Motion, Minimum Move and Reverse apply unchanged except for obvious differences due to the vehicle's direction of movement." The Rules for Motion include a Motion Attempt I would assume.

nouge

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Rani
Country
llAustralia
Thanks guys – and good find on that thread, Binchois. It makes sense to treat 'Motion' and 'Reverse Motion' counters as subsets of the idea of a 'Motion counter'.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This might be a holdover from the time when you did not get reverse on tanks. Initially you could only go forwards until WoA came out.

nouge

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Rani
Country
llAustralia
Madness! I’m not sure how much tanks reversed in battle historically, but I’m quite keen on doing it to get out of the kill zones of those enemy tanks.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This might be a holdover from the time when you did not get reverse on tanks. Initially you could only go forwards until WoA came out.
Vehicles could always move in reverse in ASL, but they could stay in Motion while in reverse only with the introduction of the Reverse Motion counter in WoA.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I saved many vehicles in a bad position using the motion (in reverse) attempt rule. They were in safe at least until the next mistaken move. Usually in the following movement phase.