Can a leader carry his own LMG and help carry his buddies LMG?

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
I always thought a SMC can carry his LMG and help his buddies carry a piece (1PP worth) of their MMG, for example...but no!

First, the full rule paragraph:
A4.42 INHERENT PORTAGE CAPACITY (IPC): A SMC has an IPC of one PP. An Infantry unit loses one MF for each PP carried in excess of its IPC. A SMC may never portage more than two PP although one SMC can add its IPC to that of any one Good Order Infantry unit to increase the IPC of the latter, provided the two units start the phase together and move together as a stack. Otherwise, Infantry units may not combine their IPC. A broken unit may not portage anything in excess of its IPC (see 10.4) even if accompanied by a leader.​

In short, a SMC can carry two LMGs of his own ("its IPC") but cannot carry one of his own ("its IPC") and one of his buddies (because "its IPC" is now used up, which would still be LMGs).

Let's break it down:
a) ...a SMC has an IPC of one PP,
b) A SMC may never portage more than two PP,
c) ...one SMC can add its IPC to that of any one Good Order Infantry unit,
d) Otherwise, Infantry units may not combine their IPC.

The implication is that, if a SMC is carrying 1PP currently, he cannot add his "available second" PP to any SMC/MMC. That is, a SMC can carry two of his own LMGs but cannot carry one of "his" and one for his buddies...that'd be too much. So in order for a SMC to assist a MMC (or another SMC) he must not be carrying anything himself, because he can only add "its IPC [i.e., 1PP] to that of any one Good Order Infantry unit...."

Or, now that I think about it, the SMC can add "its IPC" to another SMC/MMC first, then for his second allowable PP, carry his own LMG. That seems wrong computing it that way, tho.

Yes/no/maybe-so?

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree, that is the wrong way of computing it. If the leader is carrying, he cannot assist another infantry unit in carrying.