Campaign Waterloo Update

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Newish update out - with enhanced graphics and some new A.I. tracking. The free demo of the " Final Struggle "game is too limited in scope to make an overall opinion. The farmhouse of La Haye Sainte looks more realistic.

Apparently there is an expansion pack available - although it is not clear whether it is totally new or refers to the older version. Graphics in 2d look a bit clearer on terrain features - will it be as good as the ACW battles enhancement - who knows ? I have seen a video of the Antietam game which is very good......I almost went cross-eyed playing the Battle of Chickamauga with the older graphics version..................o_O...

There is also a sale of games going on at the moment - finishes on the 19th July..........:)

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Nice map - Huh ! - no idea what ( hexasim ) is about but it is a cute map. The expansion pack is a collection of optional scenarios. Quatre - Bras has a 91 turn game which starts at the action of Frasnes and continues to the end of the Battle of Quatre- Bras. ? .

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Here is a pic of the new enhanced graphics for the Russian Campaign - Battle of Borodino - Bagration Fleches. It is definitely easier on the eye.

First thing to note is that the Kamenka stream is wholly visible and does not disappear as in earlier graphics, behind higher elevation. Lower ground vegetation is slightly darker; no doubt a result of water run-down and less exposure to the elements. Trees stand out ' rather than blend in and the tracks, roads are more heightened, giving a degree of spatial awareness to the formations movement and location.

Obviously, these games are play intensive in man and eye hours ? ....constantly eating carrots ? while playing is now a redundant activity............ Gooood !. ?.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

( The picture thing is playing up - can only post small pictures ). This is the Eckmuhl graphics update which can be viewed at the JTS site and it is a vast improvement on the old one. The buildings will have to be modded etc.............Definitely more relaxing for the eyes when you have to move large amounts of units over a huge Campaign map. ?....

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Someone has just recently started a Battle of Borodino JTS play-through which shows the updated graphics for the Russian Campaign 1812. It looks Ok; especially when split screen compared. This is also true of the Campaign Leipzig new graphics. I have my reservations about the Waterloo one which seems to be less subdued than the others. The dark green vegetation seems a bit too in your face, whereas it should be more subdued as in these two games. Is the Quatre - Bras battle full of greeny stuff or yellow corn fields ???
Anyhow, it is good to see a play-through of the Borodino battle in video terms even if the play is intermittent and the player admits to being a non expert. The only expert is Napoleon who would lose if he played against me.................:giggle:

Part 1 of 3 available.

Part 2 shows the 2d counters with old style unit sprite thingys - just like in board games; check these out - brilliant idea.........................?...​

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Check this out Chipmunk - brainers....a new map mode for the 2D view of the John Tiller Napoleonic games series. It is a more classical view and it looks great.

Easy on the eye................I never play in close-up 2D but this might change my mind. Will it work with the older HPS games...I do not know...............Will it work well at company level.....remains to be seen. Since I generally use 2D for situational awareness.........this is really good. I like the building graphics while the terrain is not overwhelming. In fact- a good seamless blend..............................Marshal's hat off to the creator...........................Magnifique !... 🥇.

Where can you get your paws on it.............I am not saying......If you are a dedicated Napoleonic gamer ........you will know ; if not, then the search will give valuable exercise to your brain cells.

A close-up of the Waterloo battlefield - 2D will never be the same again.....................En avants !...............:).