Campaign Series Map

tide1

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi

This is a map I made from some old Avalon Hill Squad Leader mapboards I have. Any comments and input to better it are welcome. I'm also working on a larger map thats equivalent to 40 SL boards possibly for use as a bridge head map. One side is river boards.

Thanks
Gary

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Good day

Just looking over your map...

Tis interesting indeed. The most interesting item I find with your map is how you handled the scale. I notice you did not convert the Squad Leader scale to the Campaign Series Scale. I'm basing this assumption on your using special buildings to represent the buildings as you'd find on a Squad Leader map.

Squad Leader's hexes are 40 metres across (I think - correct me if I'm wrong), while the Campaign Series hexes are 250 metres across. Therefore, the information in an area composing of roughly a radius of 3 hexes surrounding a Squad Leader hexes would fill one Campaign Series hex (The area covered by orchard on your map would be one CS orchard hex, for example.)

Keep in mind that the Campaign Series is a platoon level game, where Squad Leader is squad level. The significant difference being the ranges of the units and how they interact with the terrain.

So, what does this mean. Three options, I believe...

1. Revise the map so it suits the CS scale

2. Revise the weapons files to suit your new scale

3. Screw it, and just play on it anyways.

Hope that helps
Take care and good luck
Jason Petho

Last edited:

tide1

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SL Map

Hello Jason

I'm still grinning about #3 that's exactly what I did. I didn't notice much of a difference in the gameplay but that's me. Thanks for the input I think I'll try changing the weapon files.

Gary

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Glad you had a laugh.

Regarding the weapons files, make sure you have a separate install when you do this, as if you alter them and you are successful the values will change for all the scenarios in the game.

This makes PBEM an issue if you have existing games or plan to play in the future.

From knowing what has to be done to change the weapons files, changing the map would be considerably easier, and less time consuming.

Hope you're well
Take care and good luck
Jason Petho

tide1

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello Jason

I'll take that advice. I have way to many games going on at the Blitz to be messing with those files then. Thanks

Gary

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
No problem Gary!

Better to know what's coming than to find out when it hits you.

Any questions, feel free to ask!

Take care and good luck
Jason Petho