Campaign Game w/ VASL & Skype? EST weekend mornings?

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’m thinking there just might be time in my life for 1 more campaign game without driving my wife crazy if I can play while she is asleep. Live VASL play w/ Skype or Discord.

FYI, my style of play is to go quicker and accept that I will make mistakes to speed up play. I’m also good with the occasional “hey, I forgot to rally this guy or pick up that MMG, can I do it now?” as long as it doesn’t affect play. On a campaign game map with a lot going on it’s easy to overlook something and I’d rather not agonize over every little thing. So if this is your style also, we’d get along. I think having similar styles of play and being agreeable opponents is important in a campaign game since you will be spending a lot of time together and want to enjoy it. I would say I am an OK player, not a shark but not a novice either.

I’m playing a Fire & Sword Manila CG now as well. Shoot me a note if you are interested.

Last edited:

yzerdunn

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llAustralia
I’m thinking there just might be time in my life for 1 more campaign game without driving my wife crazy if I can play while she is at work. I’m thinking live VASL play, one or two mornings weekdays only.

FYI, my style of play is to go quicker and accept that I will make mistakes to speed up play. I’m also good with the occasional “hey, I forgot to rally this guy or pick up that MMG, can I do it now?” as long as it doesn’t affect play. On a campaign game map with a lot going on it’s easy to overlook something and I’d rather not agonize over every little thing. So if this is your style also, we’d get along. I think having similar styles of play and being agreeable opponents is important in a campaign game since you will be spending a lot of time together and want to enjoy it. I would say I am an OK player, not a shark but not a novice either.

I’m playing a Fire & Sword Manila CG now as well. Shoot me a note if you are interested.
Howdy. Your style of play sounds very much like mine. Now for the tricky part. I'm in Sydney, Australia which is fantastic from a time zone perspective. Having said that, I tend to play North Americans late at night when my family is asleep because I don't sleep much so it's still do-able. How early in the morning could you start?

I have Red Factories, Valour of the Guards (in which I'm currently playing the long campaign by email) and DZ:St-Mere Eglise from the campaigns.

Peter

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Let’s see, i think you are 15 hours ahead of me in Pennsylvania, so my 9 AM is your midnight. Is that what you are proposing? Realistically my earliest would be around 8 AM after she goes to work. But that’s still 11 PM for you.

yzerdunn

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llAustralia
That's fine. I'm usually up till about 2. Playing ASL is better than watching TV. Our Daylight Savings ends this Sunday and I'm not sure which way that moves it

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We just started our DST, which moved our clocks up an hour. Assuming yours works the same way, ending it should move you back an hour? Which would make an 8nAM start tiME for me 10 PM for you. Is that right?

as far as games go, I guess Red Barricades might be the way to go.I just finished a CG there as the Germans last year, so would prefer the Russians. if all that sounds agreeable, let me know and we can select a campaign.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Time Zone Wizard says we are now 14 hours apart. Please let me know your thoughts on the campaign; if you aren't interested or maybe are interested but would like to try something else we can get going.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Peter, I just noticed on another post here in the opponents wanted section that you are rusty and just getting back into ASL. Red Barricades is probably not the right place for you to jump in. If you are more interested in starter kits, you could try Decision at Elst.

agoldin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Jim
I wish I could play a CG with you! Unfortunately I’m maxed-out on my ASL. And working gets in the way!
If you don’t already have it, I can recommend DZ St Mere Eglise. I’ve playtested it before release and got in a scenario at WO of the final product. The CG is very “accessible “ as ASL CGs go. And the VASL map for it has just been released, so you might want to give it a shot for your next CG.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Andy, you will just have to give up work then. Actually, that’s why I have so much time now on weekdays, they laid off half our department the day I got back from Winter Offensive, and now I’m trying to decide if I’m retired or not. I wouldn’t mind working a few days/week, but the options are kind of limited in my area so that might take a while to get lined up. While that works itself out, I’ve got more time for ASL. It kinds of stresses out my wife though, so that’s why I’m trying to set up a campaign while she’s at work In the mornings.

yzerdunn

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llAustralia
Hey Peter, I just noticed on another post here in the opponents wanted section that you are rusty and just getting back into ASL. Red Barricades is probably not the right place for you to jump in. If you are more interested in starter kits, you could try Decision at Elst.
Sorry for the delay in responding. I was waiting for both of our time zones to settle down to see what the difference is. From what I can see your 8am is my 11pm. If that's not too early for you I can definitely do that a couple of times a week. I think the post in regard to me being rusty is a couple of years old. I checked Roar today and I've logged 70 games in the last 2 years and currently have a dozen PBEM games running including a VoTG campaign.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess I misread the other post, perhaps it was your opponent who is rusty. It sounds to me like you are anything but. Would you like to tRy a game of RB? Something else?

yzerdunn

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llAustralia
I guess I misread the other post, perhaps it was your opponent who is rusty. It sounds to me like you are anything but. Would you like to try a game of RB? Something else?
Pretty sure I have games running in every module except Red Barricades and DZ: SME. (I'm trying to play catchup for 30 years of wargaming neglect!). Happy to do RB scenario or campaign but I'll play anything else if you prefer.

Kyle Curle

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will shoot a PM to you to set up the game.
Did you ever get this game going? Just saw the listing. I am newly retired and living in PA, so I could use a new game. I particularly love to play RB.

Kyle

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kyle and Blachorn, are you aware there is an active group in Philly that meets the first Saturday of each month in Westchester? I go down there a few times a year but if you are interested send me a PM with your email address and I will get that over to the group admin and get you both on the list. I plan on going in May, maybe we can set up a game?

Blachorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kyle and Blachorn, are you aware there is an active group in Philly that meets the first Saturday of each month in Westchester? I go down there a few times a year but if you are interested send me a PM with your email address and I will get that over to the group admin and get you both on the list. I plan on going in May, maybe we can set up a game?
Thanks Jim, I'm already a member. However free weekends for me are few and far between.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Updated this one since I’ve gone back to work and now it’s early weekend mornings only for me. I can’t be the only one who likes to start off a Saturday or Sunday with some cardboard carnage while my wife snoozes away.