Campaign Game Playtest- Lurking Panthers

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I was going through some AARs when I found this one. This is one of four Normandy CG based around St. Lo France. It is dated and when I find the other I will post them. I have been kicking around these ones for a while, whether to continue developing them or dropping them. Each CG is approximately company size played on a custom map equivalent to three standard mapboards. I hope you enjoy.

Well Bill Bird and myself have begun CG II- Lurking Panthers, and we are now starting the 2nd CG Date. I will update you on the first scenario.

CG II- 0530 11 July 1944; this scenario is based in tight bocage country criss-crossed with sunken-lanes 1 km west of lé Desert France, ideal country for the defence. The units involved in the action are as follows; on the German side, II/Panzer-Grenadier Regiment 901 supported by I/Panzer Regiment 6, Panzer Lehr Division and on the American side the 1st Bn, 47th Infantry Regiment of the US 9th Infantry Division. I am playing the American while Bill has the Germans. This is my first time playing this scenario in its present form and with modified standard CG-Rules, so I was looking forward to it.

CG Scenario 1 has the German launching an attack up the main south to north road. I have a Rifle Company supported by a pair of M1 57mm AT-Guns and a module of 81mm Mortar OBA. I have limited but good ground in which to set up my defence. I deploy two platoons forward with on each side of the road and a third platoon in depth. I reinforce the American 9 x 6-6-6 squads with a MMG Section, Bazooka Section and the AT-Guns. My depth 8-0 leader assumes the role of Forward Observer for the 81mm Mortars. I fortify this with AP-Mines and wire.

The ground is that on my left flank a sunken-lane cuts across his front limiting his armour, while on my right is some high ground, which is visible from the high ground on my left flank. Between high ground on the left and right I deployed my forces which at first looked like a sufficient force, but once placed on the map was quickly swallowed up in the small bocage-lined orchards.

My plan was to not stand and fight, rather to use the bocage and concealment to minimize his firepower. So I inter-mixed some concealment counters to help soak up his attacks. I also set up each platoon in depth, so as not to outflanked and cut off. I set up using HIP my Bazooka Teams in positions behind my front line to stop any deep thrust by his armour. Next I set up my AT-Guns behind my forward lines with one covering the main road and the other on my left flank with eyes on the exit to the sunken lane just in case he tried to plough his way through my wire and AP-Mine obstacle in the lane. My artillery observer would be able to covered left flank, the middle behind the forward lines and the high ground on the right with OBA. Finally my depth platoon would be used to reinforce either forward position. All looked ready bring on the Krauts!

With the limited entry area for the first scenario I figured that the German would likely use it as a reconnaissance to expand his set up area for the follow up scenarios. Entering the map and cautiously closing up to the sunken-lane on the left and along the main road. The German force consisting of a 2 x Rifle Pl (each with 3 x 4-6-8 with LMG), a MG Section (1 x MMG and 1 x HMG manned by MG Crews), and supported by a 2 x Pzkw VG, a Pzkw IVH and PzGren HW Pl consisting of 1 x SPW 251sMG, SPW 251/2. This was followed by a Grenadier Pl (3 x 5-4-8 with 2 x LMG) mounted in SPW 251/1.

The German closed and began trading shots, but with little effect on the Americans, however the sniper activation’s resulted one of his Panther crews being STUNNED and Recalled on a SAN dr of 1. His Pzkw IVH, which was leading his PzGren Pl up the road, was first Shocked and later destroyed when caught at the crossroads by the 81mm OBA. The German continued to push finally getting across the sunken-lane and into some CC but not before creating a Hero and a Berserk 8-1 Leader. The German then pushed up his remaining Panther and PzGren Pl in attempt to get behind my left forward position. However my Bazooka Team knocked out a SPW 251/2 and my AT-Gun knocked out a SPW 251/1 halting this manoeuvre, but the forward platoon unable to withstand his firepower and I was forced to fall back.

Now behind the second line of bocage, I continued with my plan and forced the German to slow down. With the threat of a Bazooka Team or AT-Gun hidden in every orchard the German lead with his infantry. This is what I want, I manoeuvred my MG teams and rifle squads to cover the small fields, hitting them as they crossed the open ground within the orchards. However, the German’s 8 morale allowed him to press forward passing the 1 & 2 MC with little damage. I on the other hand was folding on NMC and 1MC and was forced to fall back to the third and fourth line of bocage.

The scenario finally ended on Turn 7, I manage to stem any further breakthrough with my OBA and by moving up my depth platoon to plug any gaps. But it was not with out cost. During the first scenario I lost a rifle platoon (3 x 6-6-6), a AT-Gun and crew and Bazooka team, but inflicted heavy damage on the German to the tune of 1 x Pzkw IVH, 1 x SPW 251/2, 1 x SPW 251/1, 2 x 4-6-8, 1 x 5-4-8 and 1 x 2-3-8. His Recalled Panther did return in the refit but without his Armour Leader.

Well that is the first scenario was completed in three sittings which were as follows;

Night 1 (1900-2230) Initial Refit and Turns 1-3;
Night 2 (2030-2300) Turns 4-5; and
Night 3 (2000-2300) Turns 6-7 and Refit.