Campaign Game Playtest- Calling the Bluff I-II-II

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
“Calling the Bluff” After Action Report

CG #1 After Action Report

GERMAN: The Germans started the first scenario with a small probe by an infantry force supported by armour. Their intention was to gain a foothold south of the village of Lé Desert, France with space to deploy follow up forces. To achieve this the German would have to clear an area lined by hedgerows and roadblock across the main north-south road.

AMERICAN: The American deployed a heavy infantry force supported by machine-guns and bazooka teams to cover a roadblock set up along the main north-south road. Their initial goal was to inflict heavy casualties on the German infantry, relying on hidden Bazooka Teams to beat back any supporting German armour.

CONCLUSION: The Americans set up a light screening force south of the village and west of the main north-south road. In the hedgerows that lined this road, he positioned a platoon minus supported by machine-guns and light mortars, add to this plenty of dummy units made this appear to be a well-defended Axis of Advance for the German. The result was the German failed to clear the roadblock, but accomplished the other tasks with minimal loss to his own force.

For the last couple days when I attack, reverse those thoughts, more armor and light on the INF.

I set up weak in the hedgerows to the Yank right (few sqds and dummies, some mg and mtr teams) with lots of ? In honour of Brad. The main force was in the town and staring down at the RB. Mines went near the RB in the little copse of woods and along the hedgerow’s close to the orchard on the Yank right. Covering this approach was a 57L and some mtr teams.

CG #2
For this first engagement the German purchased most of his forces in reserve and thus was able to bring on a much larger force for the second scenario to include:

Purchased in Reserve: 1 x Grenadier Platoon, 1 x Rifle Platoon, and 1 x GrW Section.

Purchased for Map entry: 1 x JgPz Section with 9-1 AL, 1 x 105mm OBA Module w/ plentiful Ammo and Offboard Observer, 1 x Rifle Platoon with 9-2 Ldr, and 1 x MG Section (SAN: 2 ELR: 4) Saved 1pt + 23= 24, Spent 24

Additional Forces: 1 x HW Platoon, 1 x Grenadier Platoon with 8-1 Ldr, 1 x SPW Platoon, and 1 x GrW Section

This larger force allowed the German to attack on both sides of the main road. The Right flank force cleared the roadblock under the effect of 105mm OBA.

The left flank force swept on to the map from the SE with an armoured infantry force to gain a foothold in the village.

American M-10 Tank Destroyers barred the way and small well lead groups of American infantry kept prevented the German from expanding their hard won foothold in the village.

German casualties were light with minor losses due mines on the east side of the main road, which hampered movement. A Close Combat also did some damage in the village.

The American M-10 Tank Destroyer’s inflicted additional losses knocking out some German armour.

Well placed American 81mm Mortar OBA, knocked out several half-tracks and infantry in the part of the village that the German had managed to capture.

Movement became difficult as many lines of sight proved to be clear resulting in KIA’s in the open.

The German managed to reach the crossroads at the top of the main part of the village, which was the objective for this scenario.

In addition, the discovery of the hidden location of the American FOO proved also rewarding. However, the inability to eliminate the forces in melee resulted in American squad and 9-2 leader in the middle of German formation.

The German was forced to withdraw forces from flanks to deal with this thorn in his side. The result weakened his flanks of much-needed infantry.
More German armour withdrew due to injured crews and damaged weapons.

The overall German infantry losses were high, with support weapon crews making up the brunt, but losses to squads and leaders were also high.
Friendly artillery dropping short was much to blame for the high friendly loses but an understandable hazard when in close quarter battle in a built up area.

The German artillery also did good work destroying about a platoon of American infantry.

The end of Scenario Two saw the German seizing half of the village and the entire SE corner of the map as well.

German losses were the entire HW Platoon, both JgPz IVs, a StuG, 2 x SPW 251/1 Halftracks, a 9-2 leader, an 8-1 leader, and the equivalent of two platoons of infantry and support weapon teams and crews.

American losses: 2 x M10 Tank Destroyers, about 6-7 support weapon teams and crews, roughly two platoons infantry and his 9-2 leader.
The German gained a decent perimeter and ensuing redeployment went well.

CG #3
The German reinforced this with a Sdkfz 7/1 Flak Halftrack (Reserve), a MG Section (Reserve) and his last 81mm Mortar.

The German fixed the 75* MA on his SPW 251/9 Halftrack and retained the recalled SPW 251/1 Halftrack, Battle-Hardened two squads and a leader and created an 8-0 as well.

I deployed low quality retained infantry into HS and with a 2-4-8 HS and the created 8-0 to move on the flank to grab strategic locations and harass the American units to the west of the road.

I bought 105mm OBA and a pair of StuG IIIs with a 9-2 Arm Ldr. The reserve units from the last scenario; a Grenadier Platoon with 9-2 leader, a Rifle Platoon with 9-1 leader, and the 81 Mortar, were set up in the German foothold in the village with the mission to sweep to the west to clear the road.

The StuGs and the halftracks will support and the German will attempt to scrounge the wrecks and equip as many squads with LMGs as they can. Finally I increased my SAN to 3.

The German’s mission is to probe forward when they have cleared the main area of the village. And hope to be in a good position at the end of this scenario to keep the American from cutting the road.

The American has 20-25 stacks on map ranging from 1 to 4 counters so it looked like a formidable defence to attack.

The forces were separated by the village street and the German was confident that they were mostly lightly out posted with the main strength behind.

Moving directly adjacent across the street resulted in capture of most of the remaining village buildings.

The American counter attacked the German right with armoured cars cutting off some infantry as those that broke were eliminated. This started the inevitable long list of casualties.

Strong German infantry led by good leaders were in the village proper assaulting the large American held building that had LOS down the main street.

There was much fighting in and around this building but it never fell to the Germans. The Americans also attacked from the bocage to the east of the stream and regained some ground. Fires stared in the second scenario began burning the eastern part of the village.

Effective fire from the enemy infantry KIA’d more German units at the end of turn five and both sides drew back rather than suffer any more punishment. This ended the last German attack.

The German lost two platoons worth of infantry plus crews, leaders as well as a StuG.

The American losses were moderate some Infantry, crews and an armoured car.

CG #4
The German reinforcements consisted of a Sdkfz 7/1 Flak Halftrack, two more platoons of infantry, a pair of StuGs, a module of 150mm OBA and more MGs Sections.

So remaining German force of just over two platoons of infantry and now three 9-2 leaders, hoped to thwart any American offence and still be able to launch some sort of counter-attack to get just enough to win.

The German had two more platoons of infantry to buy from the reinforcement pool and that would exhaust the remaining Infantry.
The fires consuming the village effectively blocked one half of the village so the German concentrated most of their offence to the west of the road to turn the American’s flank and draw him away form the large building.
On the east one German Grenadier Platoon would threaten the flank on the low ground with the same object.

The strong German infantry lead by good leaders would move to gain the crossroads and capture the building under cover from the HMG’s and 150mm OBA.

The German FOO could see the road hex next to the building and the resulting OBA could drop all around the crossroads.

The German 9-2’s and battle hardened 5-4-8’s could then gain the buildings on all sides of the crossroads with crews and HMG/MMG fire as well.

The German StuGs and rifle squads would move from the west side to drive as a hammer on to the anvil of the artillery eliminating any American forces.

The early fighting Battle-Hardened the lead 9-2 to a 10-2 Hero.
The German’s artillery failed to come down but the advance to the west went well.

Pushing back the American forces on the flank among the bocage.
The far-east side forces also moved out well against light opposition.
The Americans brought Shermans laden with infantry to the road near the main building and began building up and reinforcing to attack head-on anyone trying for this building.

The artillery still would not come down. A melee developed on each flank and near the crossroads as both sides refused to back down. The melees continued chewing up infantry from both sides.

To break the deadlock in the centre my StuGs moved out in a pincer to attack from the main road and the fields to the rear of the American position.

Both were soon knocked out and a third was recalled with a broken MA.
The artillery finally came down but most of the units had drawn away and the mass target was gone.

The German 10-2 hero went berserk, charged forward and died in one movement phase. This along with strong fire from American Tank Destroyers and infantry drove the building attack force away from the crossroads.

The melees continued to chew up the German infantry and the big one in the centre consumed almost an entire platoon.

This last scenario depleted the German infantry to the point where it was hopeless to continue. Therefore the CG was called at this point as an American Victory.

Blake Ball's AAR

Scenario one...

My overall plan based upon the forces available (9-ish Inf platoons per side?) I was going to beef up on INF for the first few CG dates when I was on defence (2 Platoon/day) and go light on the armour. For the last couple days when I attack, reverse those thoughts, more armour and light on the INF. My goal for the first scenario was to kill German INF and use AT/Baz to deal with the Kraut armour. I set up weak in the hedgerows to the Yank right (few sqds and dummies, some mg and mtr teams) with lots of ? in honour of Brad. The main force was in the town and staring down at the RB. Mines went near the RB in the little copse of woods and along the hedgerow’s close to the orchard on the Yank right. Covering this approach was a 57L and some mtr teams.

The battle: Germans probed pretty weakly, he got close to the RB and sent some forces into the hedgerows on the right, some back and forth. My mines slowed him down quite a bit. not much loses. I may have bagged a few tanks with TD's on the open area. his OBA was a little worrisome. He cleared out the forces in the copse of woods on the "rear" of the orchard/plateau with OBA and MTR fire.

CG2... With slow going on the first day I was going to buy lots of stuff (SW teams/MTRs/Baz) all in reserve and basically just give ground. I bought some OBA to slow down his advance. Again my goal was to kill infantry, not hold ground. My forces in the village proper managed to get cut off a little bit and I ended up having to slug it out in the village. I had a very impressive 9-2 who kicked some serious butt. I also bought a few greyhound AC's to keep his armour honest. These puppies are great as I had lots of mobility.

CG3... Again I am buying infantry and forcing him to slog through the village proper, the flanks are pretty much a draw except I gave up ground big time around the stream. This was Bills big attack HT's and armour whipped through the yank left and almost cut off the village. I had some luck with 81 OBA and got 2 ht's. Bills over eagerness to use his big OBA (120 I think) managed to rubble one of his forward post containing a sqd/9-1 or 2 ldr and a Stug when it drifted back on him.

The next couple scenarios were a blur, lots of fighting at the crossroads and the "house of death" on the German side of the crossroads. A Heroic 9-1 and 2 667 sqds held off 2 Stugs, a 75 251 ht and 2 platoons for 3 turns or so. At this point with all the rubble and dead armour in the streets both sides had no problem reinforcing forward positions. It turned into "smash-mouth" ASL (no manoeuvre) basically due to the fire that incinerated the whole left side of the village (damn orchard roads).

Again I concentrated on killing INF, I lost a few TD's and eliminating brokies for failure to rout. A summary I think the CG looks balanced. The Germans might have had a better go of it with a more aggressive opening. Also the last scenario Bill could not get his 150-mm OBA down at all, he drew 10-11 reds in a row. That’s may have changed the last scenario and lead to a German breakout.