Campaign Eckmuhl 1809

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Bought this for peanut money..........23 books..........went to the local bookstore and they do not have any new interesting Napoleonic books. They used to have a brilliant ACW section but that seems to have shrunk due to the pandemic.

Definitely waiting for two particular ones which will no doubt show up in the Xmas on-line free for all at a not so great price..........never mind....:rolleyes:...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Impulse buying strikes again..........I bought the magazine game ( S& T ) featuring the Battle of Abensberg. Brand new and unpunched.......slightly pricey. The map is as stated a while back based on late 18th century map-making and the system is deceptively interesting to play.

The only real negative is that the counters are functional but limited........that is why my purchase of the Napoleon's Last Success game now comes into it's own. The same scale and the leader counters are definitely transferable and to a degree the unit counters.....just have to ignore the numbering.

( Counters in the magazine game ).

Smarter than the average bear.......................one game is Ok and the other can be enhanced.......👍...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Just remembered the very first Napoleonic War-game I ever played. I thought it was Avalon Hills War And Peace , mounted map board simulation; but < No, it was preceded by this. The game belonged to an older sibling who always beat me as I was still a toddler and did not understand the rules beyond chewing some of the pieces. Tried it when I was older and as far as I remember - it had some merit.....definitely well put together with a Napoleonic atmospheric feel to it.

This was my initial introduction to the world of Nap..........:D...Vive L'Empereur !...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Napoleon was an avid student of his predecessors; took a small library with him on Campaign.......he could have not had a better tutor than Pompey in Strategy and Tactics.

I saw a great historical video of the Civil war of Ceasar vs Pompey. I can see why Caesar was hell bent on chasing him across Greece , Spain and North Africa..........mainly because he was a better General and eclipsed Caesar's potential ambition.

Napoleon had no rival of course.....except his own ambition....just bought a book on the Pompeian struggle as it is an early handbook as to the usage of tactical manouvre and feint. Applies to Napoleonic warfare................better than Clausewitz...

On the verge of buying another board war-game.............a Halloween present...:)...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

( Escape of the Portuguese Royal family.........with a nice crate of diamonds to induce ze Eengleeesh to get involved ).

The Invasion of Portugal (19–30 November 1807) saw an Imperial French corps under Jean-Andoche Junot and Spanish military troops invade the Kingdom of Portugal, which was headed by its Prince Regent João of Bragança (John of Braganza). The military operation resulted in the occupation of Portugal.

Not much happening in Napoleonic Gaming World....I suppose there will be one or two updates before Xmas. I am back in Paris with my leg healed and the Emperor is in good spirits after the Treaty of Tilsit. The army is in cantonments and the time is passed with receptions and functionary gatherings. We have peace in Central Europe and France's hegemony is undisputed........" Vive L' Empereur ! ".........." Salut ! "........ 19418

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Eighteen accounts of the battles that ended the Napoleonic epoch The Battle of Waterloo is one of the most famous battles -if not the most famous battle-in history. Many books have been written about Waterloo, and many first-hand accounts published, yet it continues to fascinate both students and casual readers alike. In this book, Frederick Llewellyn has gathered together a number of accounts that have hitherto slipped through the net, creating a book the contents of which will be entirely new to most modern readers. Among them: Major Frye has left us with a compelling account from 'behind the lines'; Sergeant Robertson recounts the fierce battle experienced by the Gordon Highlanders at Quatre Bras and Waterloo itself, whilst Sergeant-Major Dickinson-the last surviving Scots Grey who fought at Waterloo-takes us on that famous charge for which his regiment will forever be remembered. These, with the many others included here, are the forgotten voices of Waterloo-British, French, German and Spanish; great names and ordinary men, infantrymen and cavalrymen, generals and private soldiers, reaching across time-and united for the first time-in this important Leonaur original.

24 Books...............Now this baby should be interesting.............again........same price as a cup of coffee with coconut sprinkles..............:)...only 7 or 8 books to go and then I can move onto ACW and other stuff.

Skimmed the Albuera book.............very good purchase.........on a not so recounted battle. 👍...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

" Est-il étonnant que j'aie un ulcère constant ! .........."...:)...Next week should be the start of the JTS Winter Sale............I have 2 games earmarked by Napoleon's frozen fingers.......La !.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

" Are you with me Lefevres... ??? "........................... ( " Yes !... Sire ! " )............................ "... .AaaH... !... " .

When things are slow - a cavalry charge speeds things up................although for the receivers; time appears to slow down to a crawl . Hmmm !...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

An oft neglected area of Napoleonics...........there is one really bad board-game on the Campaign..........I saw something by a company like ( grognards ) but cannot remember the title......25 books...:)...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

This will definitely be needed and useful when I get round to doing the humongous Leipzig Battle AAr - it's on my list, so it is. Cannot really go wrong with Nafziger. :) .

Bought at roughly 27% of normal retail price......saving buckaroos to put towards my board war-game. 26 books...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

1807 - The Eagles Turn East - Napoleon's Campaign in Poland -Un-punched, sealed version - ( only the best for the best ).....:); this was one of Zucker's earlier games that I did not have - so definitely a miss-out purchase. The pic only shows the northern map sector with the Baltic - there are 2 other full scale land maps below that. Niiiice !...

Reviews whinge about the monster map size....that only interests me more. Standard Zucker fare with leader picture org sheets- atmospheric and detailed study folder but definitely a Nap fan game. Modification easily done to games system and counters.

My greedy paws are satisfied..........👍...Tick...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

I bought the Napoleon DVD by Abel Gance - restored and remastered for a great price..........a bargain price. I have not seen it for over a decade. Memories are that it is long - at 5 and a half hours. Slow at times but an extraordinary piece of cinema for it's time - there are some scenes which are truly mesmerizing and do great homage to the memory of the Nappy one.

We have painted pictures of the younger Napoleon but the lead actor is probably as close as you can possibly get to what he actually looked like in real life and his physical frame. Apparently they were going to do six films covering Napoleon's entire life.

Atmos a plenty........gearing you up to play the Marengo campaign game. Maybe.......you will probably need a nap after 5 and a half hours. Anyhow; another Napoleonic item ticked off.

Very pleased with the Napoleon at Leipzig book ( Nafziger ) - lots of B&W pics interspersed in the chapters with a good chunk of color battle map plates in the center and an extensive OOB.

The Eagle turns East game maps have been reviewed as stark....I would not say so - they are pretty full of terrain in a depiction of white-out , snow campaigning. The map stock is good and weighty...I am surprised at the number of roads depicted. Nevertheless ; a huge expanse of eastern Poland and Prussia to chase down the Russians. There is no place for them to hide except for an off map exit facility - this is probably for the Russians to exit and maybe re-enter- only had a brief glimpse at the rule-book.

L'aigle commence son vol...............................................................La ! ...:)...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Wellington's Victory by Decision Games; or as I like to call it - Napoleon's Victory at 6.35pm is mine....Tick. New/Un-punched copy of course and at a reasonable price - one that I am willing to pay.

I got news of my Xmas bonus today which put me in a good buying mood. I have already downloaded lots of errata stuff and play updates, aids / etc from DG - so ready to go. Very interested in the game mechanics which should be more variable and nuanced from the SPI original which was a brilliantly flawed game with the skirmisher companies and limited artillery shots.

The interest here will obviously be the new game mechanics with cavalry squadrons - which some have whinged about because they have to refer to the rules a lot........I see that as a learn and adjust as you go routine. It is anyhow a good viewing piece ; especially when the numerous Prussians arrive - you can slowly pore over the large scale map.

The little picture of Napoleon is a gold snuff box-pricey and not reasonable..............:)...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

So - Why buy un-punched copies of games ?........Is it just the personal exclusivity...............of something new and pristine. I find that buying a game with 2000 counters is a pain to have to go through all the counters to make sure that none are missing. If they are on sheets; it only takes a few seconds.

To be honest - in my buying history of second hand games - only once was a major counter missing and that was a Major General. I do remember a game bought which had the blue putty on all the backs of about one tenth of the counters but I got it at such a bargain price....that I did not care.

The DG Wellington's Victory game has larger hexes than normal- no doubt to account for higher individual unit and marker density but means that the map is more condensed and the Prussians have to have a off map approach sheet. Funny that the map is the same dimension as the original version of the game.

I do like that the main Commanders have a small portrait on the counter- making it easier to locate them. The counter coloring is OK too.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

The old SPI Wellington's Victory game map or at least the middle section....lot more to the eastern side. Played this one to death.........came close to what could be called a decisive victory against Wellington but forces so depleted that you would have 100 and 200 man battalions facing fresh 600 man Prussian battalions of the second wave of the Von Bulow's Prussian IV Corps.

Please note the town of Braine L'Alleud to the North - West - this is how far The JTS Company level Waterloo Map has to be extended to cover, otherwise you get a skewed game with the Dutch/ Belgians bunching up too close to the Chateau de Goumont/ French left. Also the Allied player is too prone to use them too early which did not happen historically.

Definitely a good game but has been eclipse by the Company Level JTS game which simulates the grand scale of the Waterloo battle - I love the way you have to scroll the computer map upwards while holding down the artillery shot key to fire against an exposed Allied unit which is so far away.................big is always better. Will eventually get round to digging into the Waterloo company game properly as there is still a lot to play through and glean................I wonder if anyone has played this through to conclusion........:giggle:...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Never dive into a bookshop when it is raining............I could not help buying this. A large , chunky paperback format and only published in 2015. A recent biography of George Armstrong Custer. This does not focus too heavily on the Little Big Horn Campaign and should give a more balanced view of his life and times . I have already read the first 10 pages before going to sleep yesterday..... it is an interesting and absorbing read with pics.....narrative style is good.

What has that got to do with Napoleonics ???......Well ; Custer was a strong admirer of Marshal Joachim Murat and being at West Point until 1861 - was steeped in Napoleonic Art Of War.
I guess - he tried to imitate Murat's flamboyant style and recklessness...........:)...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

( Masterpiece of Art ) ......................designed to inspire.................................................................

I have decided that this is my favorite picture of the Napoleonic Age. ( Napoleon Crossing the Alps- Loius David ). It is currently being prominently displayed along with other stuff in a special exhibition at the Grande Halle de la Villette in Paris to commemorate the 200th Anniversary of Napoleon's demise.

As a kid - this pic always drew me into the mythos of the young Napoleon. A masterpiece of design and color.....fitting for the illustration of a historical figure of the magnitude of Nappy; who created his own life masterpiece. I think that this painting on it's own sets the scene and encapsulates the time of the Eagle.

I had a huge jigsaw puzzle of the picture but the coloring was not so good but the box art was great and stood on top of my bookshelf for many years. Also it was used as the frontispiece of the original Zucker - Napoleon in Italy game which I had and a smaller version for the battle of Arcole which was plastic zip-locked and remarkably a cute and interesting little game ( A teaser for the larger version game ).

Obviously ; one day - I would like to see the original. It did inspire a little kid to dream of glory under the banner of the eagle and become absorbed in the Napoleonic Era.......It has never faded........as I still do Napoleonic gaming; reading etc.....Unfortunately the year 2021 sees the last of the great anniversaries..........2022 will have to count as 1792........

Merveilleux !............." Vive L'Empereur ! "........👍:)..............

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Arcola - Battle for Italy game - sold in a small plastic wallet - a mini - game that wanted to be more. Limited in scope but had a definitive Napoleonic feel to it. Extremely cheap to buy....easy to play and as I remember; a bit tricky for the French to win.....mistakes were punished by the Austrians who have a larger army and can stretch the French forces to breaking point. Indulging in sieges was very risky. Great example of interior lines play.
Nice map and concise in it's design............quick to play.........showed the potential of the Zucker system and was good for it's time.

Good map - easy to look at and differentiate terrain; slightly bigger than average magazine size game maps.

Siege of Mantua............a part of the game................:).

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

On the not too distant horizon - they will be starting to film the Ridley Scott biopic of Napoleon...." Kitbag ". That's right -Ridley Scott of Alien etc fame. That means that it will not be a complete croc.

Joaoquin Phoenix will play Napoleon ( an unusual choice ), and they have just announced that Vanessa Kirby will replace another actress to play Josephine.

She has the pursed look of Josephine. Obviously- the film will not be a military piece per se but an overall perspective view of Napoleon's life and times. Anything that spotlights or highlights Nappy is good news....especially on the big screen; as it percolates down to books and games etc..............heightened interest.

Josephine Bonaparte.......Empress Of France...La !...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Napoleon accepts the surrender of Madrid - 1808...........4th December..........👍....4 years of Victory untarnished.

Still ....next on list................still being distracted by life stuff..............:rolleyes:....................

Last edited: