Campaign Eckmuhl 1809

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Quick.......Quick...!........... Someone is selling La Bataille de Friedland 1807 ( Martial Enterprises ) game on E-Bay which was printed in 2019 for £ 855.99 + £55 postage ..........that's 1,271.85 buckeroos minus the postage.

There will be a mad rush of people who have been kicked in the head by a large horse............so don't miss out......Sigh !.....

Correction - 18 books - two ordered today.....thank goodness my cat can only kick me in the head.............:giggle:...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

This would be a good encouragement to buy games or books...........American Express.........Non !......Napoleon Express.............Mais Qui !..........................Credit Agricole is obviously French but they have a branch in Poland for 1807 purposes..........Signe me up.⭐...⭐...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

We have a new contender for the cracked cranium Napoleonic Award 2021.....La Bataille de Aspern Essling has moved into pole position with iron hoof to spare.

A whopping US $1,295.00 plus $45 postage.....................£930.................the reason being that it is out of print a few years ..........the SPI games are 30 years plus out of print. ???...

Who is to blame for this state of affairs...............Greedy board-game speculators or Marshal Enterprises..............What was the initial print run .......10...........REEEEEEEEEEEEPRINT Everything........................starting with Austerlitz......GRRRRRRR !...:mad:...

Anybody want to buy my HPS disc game of Campaign Eckmuhl.....I am selling it for $430...+ $40 postage.......:)...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Cheap as Apple Pie.....Rraymond Horocks book - Marshal Ney - the Bravest of the Brave. Printed 1982 . One of my favourite books and a very good read.....definitely a staple for any Nappy fan.............I did have the green cover one but it went when I had my great purge...............the re- acquiring continues. 19 books.......................As long as my cat keeps kicking me in the head .....I will continue..............but seriously............I only need another 3 or 4 to be very content. Purrrrrrrrrh ! 🐱 ...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

In case there are any newbie chipmunks viewing and even maybe some quite experienced ones.....if you are going to have a book on the Battle of Waterloo......this is required and essential reading................you can pick it up for the price of a bar of chocolate.....so expand your brain....not your gut....................until this book came out in 2000.................Waterloo seemed locked in a spiral of endless repetition.............................this book is Wunderbar !... Merveilleux !........Jolly Good ! ... Napoleon would agree.......!

ESSENTIAL NAPPY FAN BOOK....OK !..............

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

When am I going to get round to playing this - at 157 turns - it is a monster but the good news is that I have absolutely no game experience with this battle in magazine or board game terms . Playing it vanilla will be very interesting. The same goes for Friedland which has some operational level board games available but is not on my hit list..............I have the Osprey book and Lorraine Petre's book on Napoleons Last Campaign in Germany.............so will be ready to go.............in 2023............?????

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Yeee HaaaH !.............. A hat trick has been scored....................in one day..........!

1. Marengo Campaign JTS game - Tick....
  2. Vae Victus French Marengo Magazine game - Tick.....( definitely an impulse buy )...
  3. The Battle of Marengo - Hollins Book - Tick.........
Napoleonic consumerism..............you can't beat it............:).............:love:....

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Nice to see that Histwar is still going strong - Not sure when this latest version ( Napoleon ) has come out - was it in 2020. Have not dabbled in this at all but that will change sooner or later.............the drooling is starting to tell...........and the new graphics look Meeeeeoooooow ! ..............

Nice touch that they have their info in 5 different languages..............

HistWar is a game that takes place at the operational and tactical levels during the period 1805-1814. Live an unique Experience : this battle simulator puts you at the centre of your army and puts you in the position of the commander-in-chief.

HistWar: Napoleon is the latest evolution of this game system after La Grande Armée at Austerlitz (2001) and HistWar: Les Grognards (2009).

Version 5 is operational.

(No extra charge for upgrading towards new versions)

We are working on the next version.

It integrates new improvements:

Completely redesigned GUI,
New graphics for a more accomplished restitution with in particular the 1/1 scale where each soldier is represented by his figurine,
Improved AI with new features: high performance vision operator, Division and Brigade AI, combat resolution, and a brand new move operator that should avoid some major flaws.

HistWar: Napoleon still offers its complete system with 3 editors: maps, doctrines, orders of battle allowing access to many battles.

Six editions are released :

General de Brigade - General de Division - Colonel General

Ordonnance Officer - Aide de Camp - Marshal

You don't say !.......................Mmmmmm !...........:)...

Last edited:

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I just picked up a bunch of JTS games from their summer sale.

Campaign 1814
Campaign Austerlitz
Campaign Eckmuhl
Campaign Eylau-Friedland
Campaign Jena-Auerstedt
Campaign Liepzig
Campaign Wagram
Campaign Waterloo
Napoleon’s Russian Campaign

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well Done ! .....You beat my six games total in the Winter Sale.....that should keep you occupied and entertained for at least 18 years, if not more.

I only have to get Wellington's Peninsular War to have the complete set..........I will leave one hanging in the air..........

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Not much to say about Campaign Marengo .....you have all The Italian battles you could possibly want. There are solo player engagements for all the battles.

The Quad Campaign looks highly interesting with 371 turns. I think the main opus - Battle of Marengo will be the main attractant. It has a 48 turn version and a longer 70 turn engagement.

Definitely a niche game.... for experienced gamers and possibly newbies as it has a lot of smallish battles to contend with.

It even has a flotilla of ships in the Battle of Loano.....2 of them with 2 gun pieces each..............I wonder if you can shoot at them with artillery pieces from land ???...

21 Books - Napoleon's Last Victory - The Battle of Wagram - Rothenberg.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
22 Books - Waterloo - Decisive Victory - ( Folio Bookcase ) ,mainly because it has lots of pretty pictures.......and it was cheap.

ACW - Gettysburg Maps by Stackpole books............that counts as a half..........very nice book !........

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Now this is what I call an impulse buy..............I did have the Airfix one when I was a kid but this is definitely more detailed and larger - more realistic looking..................

Winging it's way to me as I post.............it will be my only figure war-game indulgence.....just like books and magazines etc; it will be. a good mood enhancer for the Napoleonic Camapaign PC games.

Plus it has that nostalgia feel..............happy memories of huge battles and flights of imagination when I was knee high to a chipmunk................:)... YuP !...

It also has a small figure of Nappy on a horse.....I would have killed for that as a kid - how times change...........!. La !....

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Well: you get a good sized box - it looks a lot better in real life than in pictures. Compared to the Waterloo 200th anniversary reprint of the Airfix La Haye Sainte kit. It stands out in a couple of ways.

Firstly , although not to true scale.The front walls are higher....so a horseman cannot look over the wall as in the original and reprint Airfix model.

Secondly; the building detail is more accurate.....the Airfix farm does not have the outhouse at all. Apparently , the kit has been laser printed, which I guess allows for the greater detail in roof slates and courtyard cobblestones etc. The Airfix model is made of solid plastic of grey coloring whereas this one has a greater initial variety of color which still needs some touching up....not too much. You need wood glue for this one and I am impressed by the detailed instructions and hints as to how to make extra items.

Thirdly; you get Napoleon on horseback with his General staff and attendants etc. No sign of this with Airfix. With a rough total of about 108 figures and 2 cannons ....it's pretty good.

That said , the Airfix kit has a larger variety of units , including cavalry with a greater figure count. They have also schlopped in a set of paints and 2 plastic diorama landscape pieces to put your figures and farmhouse on .

It was probably an easy choice for me to make as I prefer the greater realism and having the Nap pack included and the novelty aspect. I also got a slight discount and I figure that this baby will go for above 100 notes in about 3 years time.....which makes no difference anyhow - as I am keeping it for the duration.

All in all , a nice item which looks good on the shelf.........and brings back fond childhood memories. " Vive L'Empereur ! "............. ;

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

_- " La Gloire de La Gloire ! "...................................................Marshal Lannes has been wounded in battle..........a fractured lower leg due to a Prussian musket ball.............Recuperating in a country house with hot baths .......and then back to serve the Emperor....................Yep !...:)...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Oops ! Another impulse buy................for the simple reason that I did not have as a kid............that's right - I was severely traumatized at having to spend what little pocket money I had on thousands of Napoleonic figures which had no leaders................you would have thought that the moochers at the Plastics Co. would have done them....at least Napoleon................:mad:...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

I mentioned earlier that this game was on my hit list - not anymore....unpunched copy on it's way....this is a curiosity killed the cat purchase ; as I like this campaign and I really want to see how the Zuckerman has improved the system since the early days. It looks light years ahead of the earlier treatment............I have seen some reviews that whinge about the CRT ; that it is bloodless as there are a lot of retreat results for the attacker and defender..........that chimes with the early games.....no problemo. This is operational and not grand tactical stuff..........

The counters are good with pics of commanders - long gone are the days of hat silhouettes.........and there is a massive map to admire and pore over..................might get me reading the Gill books as I still have them in queue.....

Large map covering 4 battles or maybe just the first two - have to wait and see...........! :)...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Well ; there are 2 maps for the Abensberg/Eckmuhl battles and one map for the Aspern - Essling /Wagram battles. The Wagram battlefield seems a little condensed - they should have used two maps . That said , the maps are lovely to look at. Seems to be standard Zucker fare with the complete package.

You get one Austrian pack of cards and one French for a total of 100- as illustrated above which gives a degree of variability to actions that are taken and obviously can help or hinder , so giving gameplay a high degree of re-playability. ( Vagaries of War... ).

The CRT Table is Zuckerine with retreats and disorder being a main staple - you have to get 3:1 or 1:3 odds to get bloody loss results. There is however a bombardment CRT table for losses too.

Lots of player aid charts and nicely packaged....it exhudes affection for the subject matter. Definitely for the Nappy buff and a good change from the intensity of Tactical play. Thirty turns per battle.......a rainy weekend covered. Rating 8/10...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Être distrait par la vie............ le jeu est en attente pour le moment.....................mais the good news is that 2022 sees a good work/ life balance shift for me..........which means that all things being equal - I can put more effort in to AArs and shovel them out at a quicker pace...................according to my list............which starts with Eylau.............La !..................

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Got this today - I only need a light book for the battle of Talavera. Osprey one will do.......22 Books and I got a couple of magazines - so my Nap stuff is in a good position. This time , it stays with me regardless.

Thanks to John Tiller - I returned to war-gaming..............it was sheer chance that I saw a link to the HPS site and was hooked once again................by the scope of the games. :)........That reminds me .........I have to take out my Atlantic Wall game from it's packaging and stroke it !...