Campaign Eckmuhl 1809

Sgt_Rock

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice battle report you have going. The losses also are of interest. Amazing that the AI has anything left by this point.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have seen people complaining about too many losses in their games...I personally think that the way you play is a huge contributory factor to this; some people believe that Panzer Campaigns fight till every unit is destroyed to the last man is correct. Well, it maybe if you want just to win a game, but is definitely not historical or interesting. I have my own parameters of acceptable loss and conditions which works well. As for the A.I. I only use it for variance....in a very limited sense. The main aim here is to give the flavour of the game....I had a huge gripe when I found the HPS site, in that there was no extensive information or illustration of the game.... I had no idea which one to buy first or how hugely different they are to the Battleground series......Ii bought Eckmuhl first because it was a relatively obscure campaign. Hopefully, with this battle report, newbies will have a valuable illustration of what the games look like, what they cover, how huge they are, and of course how interesting and involving they can be, and even more so, once you have read the books, you can re-enact to your hearts content knowing that the whole campaign area is covered. Vraiment ! :D

Last edited:

Sgt_Rock

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have seen people complaining about too many losses in their games...I personally think that the way you play is a huge contributory factor to this; some people believe that Panzer Campaigns fight till every unit is destroyed to the last man is correct. Well, it maybe if you want just to win a game, but is definitely not historical or interesting. I have my own parameters of acceptable loss and conditions which works well. As for the A.I. I only use it for variance....in a very limited sense. The main aim here is to give the flavour of the game....I had a huge gripe when I found the HPS site, in that there was no extensive information or illustration of the game.... I had no idea which one to buy first or how hugely different they are to the Battleground series......Ii bought Eckmuhl first because it was a relatively obscure campaign. Hopefully, with this battle report, newbies will have a valuable illustration of what the games look like, what they cover, how huge they are, and of course how interesting and involving they can be, and even more so, once you have read the books, you can re-enact to your hearts content knowing that the whole campaign area is covered. Vraiment ! :D
Good point. For our next release I will try and have more illustrations for the promo. If I cannot post them up on the website then I will post them on the various forums.

lecrop

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I completely agree that to fully enjoy these games we should try to respect the tactical doctrine of the time. My opinion is that otherwise makes no sense.

Nice aar, and very nice intermezzo :yummy:

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
That is precisely why 10 minute turns are important because there is no way you can simulate attacks and counter moves properly with only 4 turns an hour. The great cavalry charge at Waterloo lasted for more than an hour....by the time you gallop up to the enemy lines and make one impact charge , your time is up; no second or third charges possible. No time to organise repeat reforming and attacking, again, because, your time is up. The game needs to be evolved and of course, then you can play a more historical and true to life re-enactment. People either want a bathtub game which they can use with a plastic duck or they want a battle simulation......I know which side I am on..................................! :crosseye: