Calling all SASL Players!

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello,
I was wondering if anybody used the Finnish SASL charts posted on GS, and if so, do you have any recommendations for changes?
Thank You!

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
I've only played sparingly with the Finns as the winter war component of a Soviet campaign company I was running. I used my own table for the Winter War Finns and I've prepared a more generic table for later use that I never put into play. (both attached.) I've got your table and the ones posted on the Lubben site back in the day. The problem I've got with 'em is including equipment on the tables that was so rare your likelihood of encountering it would be almost nil. If you look at the descriptions in chapter H lots of Finnish AFVs were fielded in single digit numbers. I think some players like this effect for it's novelty. I get that it has an appeal for letting you use counters you'd otherwise never pull out of the box, but it doesn't work for me personally.

The rarity factors displayed in the chapter H tables are VERY deceptive for the Finns as they are for some other nationalities. I've often wondered how they were calculated. You start to see weird shifts when you try and compare numbers fielded vs rarity factor for countries like the US that fielded tons of weapons vs some of the more exotic German stuff, let alone Finns or Allied Minors. I think it contributes a little to the very false impression most wargamers have of how common tank-on-tank fights were in WW II.

Attachments

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've only played sparingly with the Finns as the winter war component of a Soviet campaign company I was running. I used my own table for the Winter War Finns and I've prepared a more generic table for later use that I never put into play. (both attached.) I've got your table and the ones posted on the Lubben site back in the day. The problem I've got with 'em is including equipment on the tables that was so rare your likelihood of encountering it would be almost nil. If you look at the descriptions in chapter H lots of Finnish AFVs were fielded in single digit numbers. I think some players like this effect for it's novelty. I get that it has an appeal for letting you use counters you'd otherwise never pull out of the box, but it doesn't work for me personally.

The rarity factors displayed in the chapter H tables are VERY deceptive for the Finns as they are for some other nationalities. I've often wondered how they were calculated. You start to see weird shifts when you try and compare numbers fielded vs rarity factor for countries like the US that fielded tons of weapons vs some of the more exotic German stuff, let alone Finns or Allied Minors. I think it contributes a little to the very false impression most wargamers have of how common tank-on-tank fights were in WW II.
Thank you for these. I personally like using all the rare equipment, especially for a country like Finland, that was using any equipment they could get their hands on, and supply, but I see your point. Do you mind if I share these with MMP so they can develop a good Finnish SASL chart? If so I would like to give them your name, so you can get credit for what they use.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
No problem. My name is John Taylor if needed. Do you have access to the Lubben Finnish SASL material? He had a RE table for the Finns as well as the generation tables. (I was a little too lazy to put this together but I'd probably have done it or used his if I were to actually run a Finnish campaign company.)

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No problem. My name is John Taylor if needed. Do you have access to the Lubben Finnish SASL material? He had a RE table for the Finns as well as the generation tables. (I was a little too lazy to put this together but I'd probably have done it or used his if I were to actually run a Finnish campaign company.)
I have his tables, but I have been trying to find some contact info for him. I haven't had time to look on his site for it though.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Great slant & catch in the Super Bowl from Montana to beat Cincy! 🤪

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Great slant & catch in the Super Bowl from Montana to beat Cincy! 🤪
Thanks! But I consider my SASL contributions to be my greatest accomplishment! (What's a Superbowl ring next to a well executed SASL table...)

Also, since I included the Winter War Finnish table I might as well add the early war Soviet tables I put together. To anyone who hasn't tried their hand at this you should really consider it. I've made a few campaign-specific nationality tables over the years for campaign companies I've run. It's not especially hard and can be interesting, though it takes a bit of time.

Attachments

Last edited:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Thanks! But I consider my SASL contributions to be my greatest accomplishment! (What's a Superbowl ring next to a well executed SASL table...)
well when you have 3 of them it's like 🤷‍♂️. & in the HOF too! 👏