Call of Duty

What do you think about Call of Duty?

• It's one of the best FPS games out there!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's good, but it could be much better.

• It's so-so.

• It's not very impressive.

• It's horrible!

• Total voters

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You have the same problem as my friend. He has a 3.06 ghz P4, but only 256 mb of RAM (last time I heard...). It is RDRAM so it costs a ton to upgrade. I got 512 mb of DDR333 for my secondary computer I am on now for only 70 dollars :)

Viking67

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
I'm sure there was at least one indoor mission where there was an alternative route to the objective. I think it was the Bunker mission, not absolutely sure.
Have you played Black Hawk Down? There's one level where there's all these technicals in the front, so you have to go around the back and through all these enemies and stuff, but I found a way to take out the technicals and just go through the front door, then about another 100 yards to your objective, so you win in about 10 minutes max, as opposed to 40 or so if you took the way you were supposed to.

Incidently, everytime someone mentions an "RPG-oriented game" I think of Black Hawk Down because an RPG is what took down those two choppers.

V67

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
And another gobeavs.

Join me, it is your destiny.

(don't worry about the S.INC fund - the interest rates aren't THAT high, you'll soon make it up again).

Dr. S.

Viking67

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Overseer
HL2 is all fine and good, but the game I'm really looking forward to is Doom3. Not that it necessarily promises anything amazing in terms of freedom, but I'm a horror fan. And they went for pure scare factor in the making of Doom 3. I can't wait. Of course, that's going to be horror lite compared to the Call of Cthulhu game coming out which is supposed to be one of the most intense gaming experiences...
Here's a site with some screenshots:

http://www.planetdoom.com/doom3/screenshots/hi-res-trailer/

V67

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh man Dr. S, that last one was killer! The second one you posted I have the demo, so I had seen it, but...that third one! I can't believe how much stuff there is! The detail!

EDIT: Is it "M" for violence? In the demo there is a way to turn off the gore, is that in the full version too? (just checkin)

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Originally posted by gobeavs
Oh man Dr. S, that last one was killer! The second one you posted I have the demo, so I had seen it, but...that third one! I can't believe how much stuff there is! The detail!

EDIT: Is it "M" for violence? In the demo there is a way to turn off the gore, is that in the full version too? (just checkin)
Sorry, didn't know what was in the demo' level or I'd have grabbed you a screenie from something else.

Basically, my Wife was popping out to the Supermarket and I just said to her to see if this game was there and how much it was.

She came back, having bought it for me. She's great! So I hadn't played the demo' or anything at all.

Re' the violence - yes, I just checked, there is an option to turn off the gore.

Dr. S.

Brad Ritter

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Call of Duty was fun but I loved Farcry! Great graphics and great fun! I may even play it a second time.

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry, didn't know what was in the demo' level or I'd have grabbed you a screenie from something else.

Basically, my Wife was popping out to the Supermarket and I just said to her to see if this game was there and how much it was.

She came back, having bought it for me. She's great! So I hadn't played the demo' or anything at all.

Re' the violence - yes, I just checked, there is an option to turn off the gore.

Dr. S.
Nice of your wife to do that! Thanks for checking on the option, that makes it all the more reason to buy it, I just might...

Patrocles

Reaction score
the game is fun but could be much better in multiplayer.

wow! the FarCry pics look great, doc! Does that game offer multiplayer? I'll need to check it out...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Nice of your wife to do that! Thanks for checking on the option, that makes it all the more reason to buy it, I just might...
Only one thing though - if you are worried about gore and stuff, there is also some bad language in the game too. Nothing too offensive so far, but I just thought I'd throw that in there in case it's an issue for you.

Dr. S.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Originally posted by Patrocles
the game is fun but could be much better in multiplayer.

wow! the FarCry pics look great, doc! Does that game offer multiplayer? I'll need to check it out...
Yes it does.

Picture from my current mission for you (and because gobeavs still hasn't said he's definitely going to buy it - :D ). Love that water!!

Dr. S.

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OOOH MAN! The water........The reflections and the surf are awesome!
About the language....just D and S I assume? Or is it worse than that? Thanks for the warning.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
OOOH MAN! The water........The reflections and the surf are awesome!
About the language....just D and S I assume? Or is it worse than that? Thanks for the warning.
Yes, come into the water... You should see it rippling and moving.

Mind you, the game chugs a little when I've got the full settings turned up, but it's still playable. Runs perfectly just with a little tweaking down.

I would say the language isn't as bad as in Vietcong (which had the WORKS!), but you do get Mercenaries saying stuff like "s***w you".

Dr. S.

Viking67

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just had a thought, with you guys talking about freedom of action. Has anyone heard of Operation Flashpoint?

V67

Patrocles

Reaction score
Originally posted by Viking67
Just had a thought, with you guys talking about freedom of action. Has anyone heard of Operation Flashpoint?

V67
I'm familiar with the title. And I believe there was an expansion pack, too. This game offers freedom of action? tell us more! :D

Patrocles

Reaction score
Originally posted by Viking67
Also, what's your favorite weapon in COD?

V67
I love the German MP44 because I'm a lame shooter and this rifle seems to be pretty accurate on single-shot and it also has automatic fire.
I often use the Russian PPSH41 because of the huge ammo load (something like 60rounds/drum?). You can fire this weapon for 3 hours before having to change the drum! again, this is a bonus for this newb lame shooter here! :p
For the yank weaponry I am split between the Thompson SMG and the M1 rifle. The thompson for the high rate of fire but I like the M1 because it is semi-auto and more accurate.
Haven't done much with british weapons to have an opinion.

Patrocles

Reaction score
Yes it does.

Picture from my current mission for you (and because gobeavs still hasn't said he's definitely going to buy it - :D ). Love that water!!

Dr. S.
cool move with multiplayer! and it sounds like the game is well reviewed by critics and fans! damn, I'm gonna have to go out and get this game soon!

Marines

Reaction score
this constant upgrading of computors to play the latest,greatest games is killing me.i guess theres something to be said for consoles after all.
Well Terry if you plan on playing console games this is for you and everyone else:

The PS 3 will launch with a price of 699 dollars. Yes you heard me right 699 dollars before tax. XBox 2 or Xenon as it is called will launch with a price of 500 dollars. I'm sorry but I will keep my current XBox and stick to my high speed computer which will be good to go for at least 3-4 years.