Call of Duty 2

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
sure the game looks great, but my system does not like to run it in DirectX9 mode. i even turned the textures down to normal, but the game still ran crappy, and the the game looked terrible.
but, i run it in DirectX7 mode with everything maxed, and it looks great, and runs smooth as butter.
guess it's time to upgrade, my 5900 ultra and barton 3200+ cpu just aint cutting it any more.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Problems

Is anyone else having these issues with Call of Duty 2...

1) The game has frozen up on me 10 times in less than a few days worth of action.
2) I cannot get online to play. (all settings checkout and firewall is OK)

Other than that I just started the American campaign and scaling the cliffs at Point Du Hoc is kinda cool.

CD

Arkane

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you're having freeze ups check to make sure you have the latest video drivers. I've seen a lot of talk on forums about COD:2 and driver issues. I think with the smoke this thing is murder on video cards, even with the demo my fan on my 850 kicks in fairly quickly.

Haven't heard about the getting online problem much. If I do catch some traffic I'll post it up for you.

C.M. Ansley

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jon@lbc said:
School started and I have had way less time on my hands. I do the occasional xanga update, but I have had way less time on my hands.
I'm in the same boat. I took a little break from the forums to get adjusted to school, but now I'm back. Good to see you.

vyshka

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
creeping death said:
Is anyone else having these issues with Call of Duty 2...

1) The game has frozen up on me 10 times in less than a few days worth of action.
2) I cannot get online to play. (all settings checkout and firewall is OK)

Other than that I just started the American campaign and scaling the cliffs at Point Du Hoc is kinda cool.

CD
In addition to the latest drivers (especially Nvidia as 81.85 or the 81.87 beta drivers have changes for CoD2 apparently), I would make sure you have good airflow in your case, and add fans if needed. I was having a problem with my system freezing for a couple of different games, and upgraded the fans, added a couple more to the case, and added a pci slot fan under the 6800 GT. Since then I havent had the system lock up. I havent done much in CoD2 yet, besides shoot teddy bears and bottles, so I don't know how my system will handle CoD2 when it really starts pushing. I will say the graphics I have seen so far are beautiful.

It will be pretty amazing to see what comes out in the next couple of years, once PCI-express, and dual-core cpus, and people have physics processing units, and possibly SLI connected video cards in their system. Now we all just need fibre to the curb and we will be set!

Mightfox

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Excellent game, got it and beat it last weekend. Hoping the German Front Mod gets "ported" to it, as is said.

The health system, though unrealistic, heavily lifts the frustration of all those freakin' quickloads from the earlier parts in the series. Helps the dramatic music and such go along more smoothly, too. ;P

Multiplayer doesn't seem too promising, though, thus my hoping for the GFM to go well for it.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been slowly playing this at friend's now and then. At first I was very turned off by the game, but as time has gone I've warmed up to it a bit though. Also strangely, at first I thought the health system was an interesting change and not a bad idea - however, I've decided it actually leads to more game-y-iness-ism or something.

Now, I don't have to worry about whether health is coming. I can jump out without regard to the consequences as long as I remember to duck back in before I get to the critical point. Rinse-wash-repeat. Before I had to be careful about how I approached something since I didn't know how much stuff I would go through before I'd find health. Now just jump out and do it. Unless I really jump out too far, it's extremely easy to get back to safety and heal due to the nature of the combat in the game (since it almost always occurs along set lines).

Wodin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
jayedub7423 said:
sure the game looks great, but my system does not like to run it in DirectX9 mode. i even turned the textures down to normal, but the game still ran crappy, and the the game looked terrible.
but, i run it in DirectX7 mode with everything maxed, and it looks great, and runs smooth as butter.
guess it's time to upgrade, my 5900 ultra and barton 3200+ cpu just aint cutting it any more.

Your chip is fine just upgrade the card and get a gig memory.

Archamus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Siberian HEAT said:
Another thing that seems everyone is doing these days is having soldiers scream the same battle cries over and over and over. :hush:
I think every single Soviet battle cry involves the word facist....

madDdog67

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm playing the Russian campaign over again...I had inadvertently installed it on the OS's partition, so I moved it. Now, I can't get my saved games to work. Oh well, I wasn't that far into the game anyway.

This is a pretty intense game, all things considered, and with the health regeneration , a much different game from Far Cry, where I have pounded the keyboard in frustration at having beaten 3 or 4 of those God forsaken mutant thingies with the rocket launchers, only to have that last little *sliver* of life taken from me before I could reach the next save point by some grunt I didnt' see lol.

CoD2 does certainly seem to work the new system to it's limits, though. I'm really thinking of going SLI with another 6800GS, but the thought of having to shell out another chunk of change for an SLI approved power supply has me balking, at least until after Christmas.

Archamus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was realy intense, especially the american campgain. On my computer it ran way better than fear and half life 2, maybe i'm just lucky :cheeky:

Martok

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I Liked It, But...

I played this game for the first time this past Saturday down at the CyberCafe, just to try it out before buying. It was fun and exciting, but after a while I started to feel like Sgt. Rock or Sgt. Fury leading the Howling Commandoes. You get the crap kicked out of you and you just lie around a bit and you are off again. Does the regeneration effect go away on the harder settings?

One reason I may not buy it is because you can't play the Americans out of the box. This is one complaint I have with PC games in general, I pay a big chunck of change for one and you can't play the part of the game you really bought it for without first grinding through a bunch of other levels first, to un-lock the part you really want. Unless you have a cheat code, which I do not.

My specific hesitation on this game is, however, the regenerating health. It simply isn't realistic, of course, and after I got a feel for the game I was charging around into battle without fear, taking out huge masses of Germans without dieing that often.

And can you ever play the Germans? I think that would be better than playing the Commies.

Feldwebel Crin

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Martok said:
IAnd can you ever play the Germans? I think that would be better than playing the Commies.
Ignorance is bliss. Playing the Germans would be great, though.

I personally like playing the Russians, but does it HAVE to be Stalingrad? I like how the game finally referenced to Moscow, but I remember more battles than just the two. I want to play in the desperate battle for Cholm. Or the Korsun Pocket, battling the snow and endless mud as well as the enemy. What about a campaign in the Winter War? Budapest, Minsk, Brest, Warsaw, Konigsberg. There isn't just Stalingrad to play in. One more winter streetfight and I'll go mad. :blab:

British Tommy

Reaction score
Country
ll
my thoughts so far....

Well it was nice to see a good campaign with the British forces! most games concentrate on the American forces far too much IMHO.
But the important bit with COD is the online games. Does it match or beat COD-UO? :hmmm: I would say a big no.... so far.
I'm looking forward to the FKs server mods as they did wonders with UO.

Casey

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I have played it albeit in Easy Mode as I am unused to first person shooters. In one scenario you get to crawl through an elevated pipeline to reach a train station. I do not know why you are given two bots to acompany you here. Not a third of the way there, and they simply cannot resist opening fire on a German half-track. Admittedly they get the lot, but shortly afterwards they get their quietus from an MG42.

Thus it is better to lag behind them after their initial screw-up; at least they draw the MG's fire, thus serving as what Comrade Lenin would have called "useful idiots". One other thing, when I started this scenario I had a scoped Gewehr 43.

I needn't have bothered, although it is useful at the end of the scenario. (You can virtually eliminate German MG post C with it and a machine pistol if you pick the right firing point.) My complaint is this though. At one point, from an open end of the pipeline you can see the station house. From there you can drop the MG42 gunner very easily. You can also eliminate a half Section of German Infantry and three Mortar Crews with it on your way there.

I should think in real life, given such support the Infantry you are trying to marry up with would if worth their salt, at least deploy smoke and storm the station house. At any rate, I shouldn't like to hear what any of my former Regular Army CSM's (Company Sergeant Major, equivalent to a US Top Kick) would have to say if any troops under their command stood around like stale bottles on such an occasion! I know bots aren't people, but sheesh!

Other than that I rather enjoyed playing it. Did anyone else experience the same thing?
Casey

PanzerCommander

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Feldwebel Crin said:
Ignorance is bliss. Playing the Germans would be great, though.

I personally like playing the Russians, but does it HAVE to be Stalingrad? I like how the game finally referenced to Moscow, but I remember more battles than just the two. I want to play in the desperate battle for Cholm. Or the Korsun Pocket, battling the snow and endless mud as well as the enemy. What about a campaign in the Winter War? Budapest, Minsk, Brest, Warsaw, Konigsberg. There isn't just Stalingrad to play in. One more winter streetfight and I'll go mad. :blab:

Well, maybe it's because it's the most memorable battle in WWII for the Russians(other than Kursk) I have COD 2 BRO, great game(just, not what I was expecting)

your Allies are kinda idiots(in a way they are "smart") but they don't even follow you into a Battlefield full of German soldiers(even if you can kill them all at once) I remember charging 16 Krauts and I didn't even take a single bullet(of course my men were cowering in the corner).

Karri

Reaction score
Country
llMalta
Stalingrad was in COD too...why the hell did they put it in COD 2 also?

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Karri said:
Stalingrad was in COD too...why the hell did they put it in COD 2 also?
It's the only thing that happened on the Eastern front. Obviously.