call for playtesters - Malaya, Normandy & Winter War scenarios

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Now you want rough and mean? This guy was a true badass.

Introducing Reserve Lt. Viljam Toiviainen, the real guy featured in "On The Borderline." More about him soon.

Res.ltn.Toiviainen 5_JR.34 Artohuhdan metsätaistelusta_19391203.jpg

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
OK, here's a little mid-week popper to give you more spring in your step to make it to the weekend.

"On The Borderline" is the least well-developed of the four Winter War scenarios being revised, so I had intended to feature the others first. But since Tom wants ruff-n-tuff lookin' Finns to play with, we'll tell you more about Lt. Toiviainen and what really happened to him and his comrades on 30 November 1939.

This scenario was split evenly on ROAR as of last June, but the mere 17 playings speak volumes about its underwhelming popularity. Part of this may be all the things the scenario gets wrong. Here's an inexhaustive list:
  • Wrong names - Not only is the Lieutenant's name is spelled incorrectly, so is the place name, Artahuuhta, south of Suvilahti (present day Suoyarvi, Russia) and north of the Myllyjärvi
  • Wrong board - The site is an unpaved track through a wooded area, board 3 is far too urbanized
  • Wrong units - Combatants on both sides are mis-identified
  • Wrong equipment - Doubtful that any cavalry galloped to the sound of the guns
Here's how we are trying to turn these wrongs into a right:

Finnish JR34 of 12th Division (IV Corps) opposed the Red Army’s 56th Rifle Division (not 139 RD) attack in this area. 56 RD initial objective was Loimola, not Tolvajärvi. The Finnish unit in question was the cavalry squadron (Ratsuväki eskadroona) of the Division’s Light Detachment (Kevyt Osasto 12), under overall command of Captain Karl Arnold Woldemar Majewski. Lt. Toiviainen led Company 5, 2nd Battalion, JR34. 56RD moved on Suvilahti from the east on a road running through Verkkolampi (37th RR, opposed by 6/II/JR34), and from the south on the trail from Myllyjärvi (RR unknown, either 184th or 213th). Alm (p.28) records that on 30 Nov the Light Detachment marched to Suvilahti, from where Reserve Lt. Vilho Lavikaisen was ordered to lead the first reconnaissance patrol on skis (“hiihto hinauksessa”) toward Myllyjärvi, taking a cavalry and two bicycle platoons with him. About 2km from the border the patrol encountered 5th Company (also on skis), which was moving to counterattack. Lavikaisen took the bicycle platoons to join Toiviainen’s effort, but this was quickly thrown back. Both units retreated northward to set up a blocking position at Artahuuhta. Early in the afternoon orders came placing Majewski in command of all forces opposing the northward thrust to Suvilahti.

The scenario could focus on the aborted morning counterattack or the efforts to block the Soviet advance, the first of which occurred over the night of the 30th – 1st. For the revision I have chosen to simulate the Finns breaking off counterattack and retreating to Artahuuhta with Soviets in pursuit, Victory Conditions a la “Fighting Withdrawal,” but in reverse. If Finnish reinforcements are needed, Corporal Toivo Reijonen’s cavalry platoon could come up on skis.

124_OnTheBorderline_CardTop.jpg

There's still so much to do to get a revision into playable shape that I would welcome a co-designer for this title. Hope the research to date and these ideas spark some interest.

Cheers!

- G

Attachments

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey George, I have to be at my nieces graduation party Saturday night, so no Dinant work that night.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Hey George, I have to be at my nieces graduation party Saturday night, so no Dinant work that night.
Roger that, Carl. Have fun. Hope she enjoys her special day.

Everybody hear that? Sat night US time, Sunday morning Tokyo there's now room in my schedule for playing one of these babies. Freiwilliger vor!

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
In my earlier post on the background for "On The Borderline" I cited a source by the author Olli Alm of the University of Eastern Finland. His article, "Liperin ratsumiehet talvisodassa - Kevyt osasto 12:n eskadroonan sotataival ja henkilöstö" (Liperian Horsemen In The Winter War - 12th Light Detachment Squadron Troopers and Equipment), was published in 2005 and can be downloaded here.

Still looking for a playtest volunteer in six to eight hours.

Last edited:

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Hey, Friends, hope you're safely over Hump Day and on a smooth glide path to the weekend. This post is devoted to a scenario many consider to be the mangiest mutt in the official canon – “Silent Death.”

THUD

Oh yeah, I see you there with your hands over your eyes – it’s so ugly you can’t stand it but you keep opening your fingers to see if it gets uglier. Go ahead, you can look. Feel free to howl in dismay while I list the numerous manifestations of its dog-awfulness:
  • The situation is lopsidedly unattractive to the Soviet player; as of a year ago the Finns owned 28 of the mere 36 playings recorded on ROAR since this ASL version of the Crescendo Of Doom scenario was published in the first Annual
  • The combatants shown could never have met as the units, their locations and the date do not match
Date - The first two Sissi battalions were not formed until 10 December (oops, bad sign…). Based on most likely locations and combatants, postpone date to some time between 13th (day after Battle of Tolvajärvi) to 20th (start of battle at Ägläjärvi).
Location - One Sissipataljoona (Sissi battalion, “SP”) was assigned to the Suomussalmi sector, the other to Group Talvela. Of three streams named “Aittojoki” that have been located, the one that flows into the Salonjärvi in what was (after 6 December) Group Talvela’s sector also had a village of the same name along it. After the Soviet annexation of Karelia the villiage was renamed Vegarus (Beгapyc) and the stream now appears on maps as “Ayttoyoki.”
Finnish unit - Hard to comprehend a TO&E that could cram 27 companies into two battalions; never found a record for a 27th Company. SP2 (CO Maj. Juho Erkki Sokajärvi, d. 1996.06.17) was part of Osasto Pajari of Group Talvela and subordinated to JR-16 at Tolvajärvi. Ryhmä Talvela sent raiding parties of ski troops into the Soviet rear as far as the Aittojoki as it fought back from Tolvajärvi between 7 and 24 December, eventually forming a line on the stream. Renamed Finnish combatant, “Company elements, Sissipataljoona 2.”
Soviet unit - 18th Rifle Division was nowhere near any of those three Aittojoki, but further south as part of the Red Army thrust along the north side of Lake Ladoga. It was fated to be cut up into a string of mottis stretching from Lemetti to Uomaa. 139th Rifle Division (I Corps, 8th Army) opposed Group Talvela. Updated to, “Rear echelon elements, 75th and 139th Rifle Divisions.”

• The Red Army OB does not reflect the mix of troops and equipment to be found in a Rifle Division and Corps rear. It is doubtful Sissi would have engaged front line combat units given their orders and distance from friendly lines.
In fairness, it is hard to make a surprise attack work in ASL, and even harder to get the player being attacked to enjoy the experience. What could be done to make this an interesting contest?

• Well, if the Russians are sleeping, shouldn’t it be night? Night rules were still pretty new in 1989. Adding them to a Squad Leader conversion would have made the task of re-publication more difficult. Since this project was prepared to take scenarios apart and put them back together again, there was no hesitation in starting the scenario in the pre-dawn darkness. According to the USNO, moon was new on 10 December, at first quarter on 18th and full on 26th, and set at or before midnight up to the 21st. As the scenario progresses, Night is replaced by a +1 LV Hindrance before sunrise.
  • The Red Army OB needed transformation. The site is at least 20 km behind where fighting was taking place, so battalion or regimental HQ units should not be represented. Division rear echelon could include staff; signals; engineer; chemical; transport; medical/veterinary; kitchen/bakery; NKVD security; division artillery staff, communications and support or anti-aircraft units (towed or motorized) as well as similar Corps assets.
  • Altered the VC so that the Finns don’t just win for breaking heads, starting fires and blowing things up – they also have to escape with as few losses as possible.
A011_SilentDeath_CardTop(sm).jpg
[Finnish Defence Archives photo of ski troops near Salla (much further north), 1940.02.08]

The ever lovin’ Carl Nogueira, Steve “Steamroller” Steinmetz and I tried out the upgraded Red OB against a Finnish night attack on the original board 3. Those changes were not enough to redeem the title. In Carl’s words, it was still “a tooth extraction,” the main problems being that if you give twelve 8-3-8s the opportunity to approach the Ivans with all the cover afforded by the board 3 edges the Soviet improvements won’t matter - the Finns still kick names and take ass. So it was time to humanize the Sissi and create a greater challenge for their approach and escape.

Early Sissi were a mix of regulars, reservists and recruits who were experienced hunters and woodsmen. While all were well-equipped for the field, arms and training varied. Determination and morale were uniformly high, reflecting the mind-set needed for extended operations behind enemy lines in hostile weather. The Sissi OB is now a mix of 8-3-8 and 5-4-8 (underlined morale by SSR) squads to better reflect their early composition. If a Finnish 4-5(or -6)-8 existed to represent a greater mix of bolt-action rifles, it might be a good fit for this scenario.

The new map design doesn’t provide the Sissi with as many covered approaches. To get into the village they’ll need to take more risks of being seen. In fact, it was necessary to put Task Check control on the “sleeping Russians” to keep them from lighting up the skies the first time a Sissi unit pokes its head out from behind the fir trees. But the attack is only half the problem in the new design. Whatever the Sissi may gain from dealing death and destruction may be lost if they are slow to escape the daylight at game end. All casualties, prisoners and broken/unbroken Finnish units remaining on board will count against their VP total.

A011_SilentDeath_Map(sm).jpg
It is still too early to know if the redesign effort will be successful. The draft needs to be played with critical eyes numerous times to see if all the changes will gel into a credible whole. We may still see more significant adjustments. If you share a desire to see this title redeemed and no longer an embarrassment to the game, please reach out to lend a hand.

Cheers!

- G

Last edited:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is an official scenario on this action already, ASL 120 Uncommon Valor. Why redo it?

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Taking a quick break from introducing the scenario designs to request another kind of support. Previously several forum participants encouraged me to set up a PayPal account so that anyone who appreciates these activities on behalf of the ASL community could contribute. If this these designs, the official scenario list, updates on official CG progress, maintenance of the Asia-Pacific Meetup or other efforts to further the hobby are valuable to you, drop me a note for further information.

If you don't wish to contribute you need not worry about the Meetup coming down, our group pre-orders being cancelled, or the scenario development efforts drying up. All of this comes from the love of the game. Contact me if you want to share the love.

Thanks again to all of you who have dished out the reps and the kind words over the years.

Cheers!

- G

Last edited:

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Looks like "Silent Death" is going to be hard to rehabilitate, given the profound silence after my last post. Will stick with it for a while yet. :study:

Now here's something we hope you'll really like!

AndNow.jpg

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Greetings from Frostbite Falls. We’re going to start your week and end the Winter War update series on a high note. It's back to the area east of Kuhmo a couple of months later with an update of G17, “Hakkaa Päälle!” Like “The Borders Are Burning,” this one is showing real promise.

As originally published, this was the rare title in which the Red Army could give the Finns a real thumping. There are only about 30 recorded playings, but those results are nearly dead even. Although it has its share of issues the situation has great promise. Here’s how I assessed the original scenario card and some source information that will help it assume a stronger form.
  • As with several other scenarios, dates are wrong; this battle took place between 12 - 14 February 1940.
  • Temperature reported -40°C/F; rarely seen snow drifts make an appearance to alter the face of the battlefield
  • No sources refer to a “2nd Soviet Ski Brigade,” though a 2nd Ski Brigade was attached to 32nd Army later in the war; Finnish sources often call it the “Dolin Ski Brigade,” but the Red Army did not name units for their commanders.
  • The brigade was really an ad-hoc command of three independent battalions - 9th, 13th and 34th - that were formed in December 1939; strength estimated at 1800 men, but Maj. Yrjö Hakanen (I/JR65) states as many as 2100, some Russian sources say 3000
  • While better prepared for cold weather combat than a Soviet rifle unit, next to Finnish ski troops they are still less well-trained, equipped and led
  • Irincheev’s War Of The White Death (pp. 118 – 123) describes ski brigade’s limited SMG (400?) weaponry, its semi-automatic rifle (SVT-38), LMG and Maxim gun armament, and says it was also equipped with “several small-calibre mortars and mortar rounds in specially designed bag packs” (p. 122); Hakanen calls them “grenade launchers,” and a Russian source says they were 37mm weapons; Hakanen says, they also used “poorly-constructed” sledges.
  • Finnish sources suggest political commissars present; very difficult to find Russian sources for this unit.
  • Colonel Vyacheslav Dmitrievitch Dolin (олковника Вячеслав Дмитриевича Долин, not Konstantin) and his troops were marching west in dispersed formation to relieve 54RD main body in the Rasti motti, as well as smaller encirclements at Klemetti and Luvelahti
  • When sighted near Vetko, the leading 34th battalion and brigade HQ were caught between I/JR65 (Hakanen) to the east, III/JR27 (Lt. Pauli Ipatin) to the south and SP5 (Maj. Viljo Hämäläinen) to the north - Dolin attempted to double back and link up with his force’s main body northeast of him near Kesseli
  • Some Finnish (and one Russian) sources say HQ unit was ambushed by Cpl. Lauri Timosen’s scouting party 12 Feb – Dolin KIA; vanguard (approx. 400 men) was pursued, surrounded and destroyed at Vetko by Hakanen’s force over subsequent 2 days - the subject of his account).
  • Main body was similarly wiped out at Kesseli during 15th - 16th (see Finnish Defence Archives photo of captured Red Army equipment)
CapturedEquip_Kesseli_FinnDefArch6930.jpg
  • No sources mention any cries of, “Hakkaa Päälle!” Rather, Finns attributed Russian inability to hear their stealthy approach to their heavy winter headgear, and also blamed frequent Soviet weapon jams on their lubricants’ poor performance in very low temperatures, a problem noted elsewhere
The revised scenario is set at point when the vanguard was pursued back into Vetko, before it was cut off and destroyed. Converted victory emphasis from Casualties to Soviet Exit, making the scenario a deadly race. Board configuration reversed as Soviets should be heading east, entry and exit rules altered.

G17_HakkaaPäälle_CardTop(sm).jpg
G17_HakkaaPäälle_map(sm).jpg

This is a situation you don't see every day during the Winter War - a well-equipped, well-motivated Soviet unit in a high pressure situation. The Finnish forces are divided and thus considerably weaker than in the earlier version. The Ivans would love to stick around to hand out cans of whupass, but if they do they risk being caught in the jaws of superior forces. The chase is on! Tally... er, Hakkaa Päälle!

Cheers!

- G

Last edited:

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
The honorable Ivan Kent, Esquire generously featured "Careless At Bakri" among the scenario choices for the second round of his Deathwish 2018 VASL tournament. Last weekend Steve Bond as Japanese lost by 1 Exit VP in a squeaker to Darryl Lundy's Commonwealth force. At least one more pair of participants is setting up this title for competition.

Now on their own Darryl and Steve have agreed to switch sides and give the scenario an additional test. Could a designer ask for more? Deeply grateful to all three of these gentlemen.

(Drop me a PM if you want to witness Darryl's & Steve's VASL match [EDIT] next weekend)

Version control of "Bakri" is in the hands of MMP effective today. I look forward to helping them review and prepare it for publication.

Cheers!

- G

Last edited:

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Happy 2019, everyone! While you have been ho-ho-ho-ing, scenario development has continued apace.

"Careless At Bakri" is earmarked for publication in Journal 13, leaving me simultaneously elated and deeply humbled. Adding to my joy, that scenario now has six siblings. As a set they complete the story of the 45th Indian Brigade’s and AIF battalions entrapment by the Imperial Guards Division and their effort to break out during the Malaya Campaign. The first two, “Bakri Besieged” and “Bakri Breakout” are already committed to another upcoming MMP publication. The remaining four have also made a good impression and hopefully will find a home as they develop. All six need hands and eyes. Please contact me off line if you want to take any of them out for a shakedown and evaluate their sailing qualities.

And yes, work keeps rolling on the Brécourt Manor and Winter War scenarios. It's not to late to make contributions there.

Playtest and development salute to Carl Nogueira, who always seems to find the time. Special appreciation to Ivan Kent for allowing "Careless At Bakri" to be featured in his Deathwish VASL tournament. Deepest gratitude to last year's playtest contributors Fred Schwarz, SAWAMURA Keiji, John Brown, Steve Bond, Mike LaPlante, Gary Vic, Steve "Steamroller" Steinmetz, and Darryl Lundy.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
"Besieged" picks up the story the day after "Careless." 2/19 Battalion of 8th Division, Australian Imperial Force has also been detailed to bolster 45th Indian Brigade, which has been cut to ribbons along the Muar River. The 45th's Brigadier hopes the Diggers will be able to help him restore his lines and re-establish contact with a missing battalion. Naturally, the Japanese of the Imperial Guards Division have other plans.

BakriBesieged(top).jpg
BakriBesieged(map).jpg

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Introducing the next scenario in the Muar campaign series, "Bakri Breakout."

Due to a combination of Japanese daring, British incompetence and the misfortunes of war, the situation around Bakri deteriorated past recovery within 24 hours of the events of "Besieged." Commonwealth forces had been attacked by two regiments of Imperial Guards Division from three sides - nearly all officers of 45th Indian Brigade had become casualties. Only the two Australian battalions retained their cohesion. The forward of the two, 2/29 AIF, had been badly mauled and now comprised less than 200 effectives. British 53rd Brigade at Yong Peng was failing at keeping rear lines of communication open. Westforce and Malaya Command wanted Bakri evacuated. The new commander of Commonwealth forces there, Lt. Col. Charles Anderson of 2/19 AIF, was ready to comply...

BakriBreakout(top).jpg
BakriBreakout(map).jpg

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Friends,

Several of the titles shared previously in this thread are now due for publication and need final review from critical, disinterested eyes.

Please contact me off line if you can play one or more in the next 10 weeks (by early Nov). If you don't have an opponent, one will be supplied for you. Besides your time, concentration and your lucky dice, all you need to supply are answers to a short questionnaire.

Rewards are:
  • Enjoyment of the match
  • Your name in credits
  • Pride at having backed a winner in our great hobby
  • A beverage from me every time we meet until one of us joins the Choir Invisible
Thanks in advance for your support!