Calculating ratios in CC

bludengutz

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hers's one I'm none too sure of. When comparing FPs to work out CC ratios, I understand that you round down to the nearest ratio listed on the CCT. Ok, I get it when 8-4 becomes 2-1, or 15-10 becomes 3-2. But how does 4-5 (German 447 attacking American 546) become 1-2? I've always just assumed that this works out at 1-1, as 4 is so very close to 5. Why am I wrong - if I am?

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
You are wrong because 4:5 is .8:1. Since .8 is less than 1, you have to round down to the next column. This just happens to be 1:2. -- jim

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
bludengutz said:
Hers's one I'm none too sure of. When comparing FPs to work out CC ratios, I understand that you round down to the nearest ratio listed on the CCT... I've always just assumed that this works out at 1-1, as 4 is so very close to 5. Why am I wrong - if I am?
Jim pointed out the right answer, but I'm confused as to why you were confused. You said you know that you round odds down. And since 4 is less than 5, there is no way it can be a 1:1 ratio since the side with 4FP has less FP than the side with 5FP. Using 1:1 would be rounding up.

bludengutz

Reaction score
Country
ll
Thanks for explaining why 4-5 is 1-2. I had just thought that 4-5 was close enough to be 1-1; usually in my opponents favour, 'cos I'm basically a nice guy at heart!

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
What is intriguing here, is that the CC ratio calculation is a "classical" system, that exists since the dawn of wargaming - I remember that in the old AH D-Day and Afrika Korps, there even was a help chart with all possible factors and the final ratios listed.
That means that most of ASLers that played classical wargames don't have the slightest problem with that calculation.

Your difficulty with it seems to show that, either you entered the wargaming world only playing ASL, or you played more recent wargames, that try to "escape" from the classical "in the advantage of the Defender" principle (as the Gamers SCS series do).
What has been your course in the wargaming world, Simon?

bludengutz

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi Robin

I started playing wargames over 20 years ago, with Airfix figures for Napoleonic battles, and SL for board games, along with a few others, such as AHs Campaign, Trireme, etc. After leaving school, I had to make do with Warhammer, 40K, Epic, Warmaster, and some microscale WW2 games.

I can see where I have been going wrong, for sure. I think ultimately I am just lazy when it comes to ratios!

caa

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, thanks for that chart! I have a serious mental block when it comes to figuring out odds, no matter what the game is. This should help. :)

Swing

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Chart

I found it somewhere, can't recall where. So credit is due to some unknown "squad leader".

I know I always use it, just because there are a lot of things that I've got to remember when playing, and any help is appreciated ;)

Cheers,

miguel.