Cable News Coverage Of The War

kid kool

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cable News Coverage Of The War: Flip on the cable coverage of the war on any channel and this about what you'll see...

Anchor: This just in -- for the 10th consecutive day there have been explosions heard in Baghdad. However, we don't have any actual footage or even information about what they hit. Wait -- wait...we've got a report from one of our embedded reporters...

Embedded Reporter: As you can see, we're in the desert. There has been furious fighting all around us...

Anchor: Do you have any footage of the fighting?

Embedded Reporter: Yes and it's spectacular! However, because of the agreements we signed with military you won't be able to see it until 2057. However, we do have lots of grainy footage of me standing in the desert in front of a tank.

Anchor: Fascinating -- so we've learned that there is furious fighting going on in the desert. Well, let's check with our panel of military analysts. So we're ten days in. Coalition forces have suffered less than fifty casualties while inflicting unbelievable carnage on the enemy. We have thousands of Iraqi prisoners, thousands more of Saddam's men have deserted, and we've undoubtedly killed many thousands of Iraqi troops while destroying much of Saddam's command and control structure. How would you say it's going?

Ex-General: Oh, it's going terribly. It's the worst military disaster ever. I blame the battle plan for this debacle...

Anchor: So do you know what the entire battle plan is?

Ex-General: Ehr no...I don't.

Anchor: OK...how do you think things are going Colonel?

Ex-Colonel: Vietnam, quagmire, Vietnam, Vietnam, Vietnam, quagmire & finally Vietnam.

Anchor: Thank you Colonel. How about you Expert X, what do you think?

Expert X: I believe our troops were shocked to see actual resistance and I'm not sure it's possible for us to win at this point. After all, what can a division of marines with support from helicopters and B52s do against a bunch of Iraqis firing at them from the backs of pick-up trucks? If we had no resistance I think this would have been a winnable war. But now that we've established that there are some Iraqis willing to fight when Saddam's men have guns to their children's heads, I think we might be in real trouble..

Anchor: Wow, it looks like we're doomed. We've got to take a commercial break. We'll be right back.

Producer: Ok, you're doing great with what you have. Now, here's the latest information -- we have explosions in Baghdad & more from our embedded journalists who are standing in front of tanks. Now I'm going to need you to fill two hours with that....

Anchor: Please, I can't take this anymore. It's so monotonous. This is a war, there has to be more news than that. At least let me go to the bathroom before we go back on the air! For the love of God...

Producer: We're live in 3 - 2 - 1...

Anchor: Welcome back. We have breaking news. It seems that there have been explosions in Baghdad. Let's go to our panel of experts who can speculate wildly about the cause and effect of the explosions without having enough information to really make an informed judgement...

Etc, etc, etc, until the end of the war....

Tex

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CNN's Heidi Collins has been a nice revelation from this war. :love:

tigersqn

WWII Forum Staff
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
CNN : I can only handle hearing that bombs are falling on Baghdad so many times before I feel the need to upchuck. :kotz:

Deltapooh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fox actually were fooled by a man claiming to be an ex-Colnel in the US Army. Turns out he had no military experience, just good connections.

This is war, and we have an enemy trying to fight us the only way he can. It's time we move beyond the easy victory illusion toward the reality. We can succeed. Saddam is not really challenging our soldiers. He's challenging the people. He is banking on our humanity and reluctance endure the human sacrifice required for success.

I don't see the Iraqi people rising up to fight us. I see a proportion of dying the regime turning to fight because they have no future left. To be honest, it's better to fight these bastards now, rather than later. Each new enemy tactic should bring about the appropriate response. We hold all the cards. Saddam is trying to bluff us because his hand is so weak. The media might have fallen for it. I just pray the people don't.

Cheetah772

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Deltapooh
Here's an interesting article:

Ultimate Guide to War TV
Deltapooh,

Does that mean will I have to go back to playing TAOW, fantasizing US Army rolling over some poor hapless German units or Russian units?

Or to play World War Two Online? Where at least I get a chance to kill the next guy?

No offense, I just want to see somebody die at my hands!

Well, it's only a joke....

Geez, can't somebody take a joke?

Dan :clown:

Bad Axe

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Regarding the quote from Barry Goldwater: While the sentiment may be popular, to withdraw from the UN and give up our Security Council veto would be suicidal, and would allow the UN to become even more of an anti-US organization.

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was watching Fox news last night while Powell was making his speech...and those bastards cut away from him right in the middle of a sentence for....you guessed it..."the sound" of bombs falling in Baghdad (and video panning wildly about looking for flashes). And who do they cut to for the story? Amman Jordan! How the hell is the correspondent in Amman Jordan going to have info about bombs falling at that moment in Baghdad?

:rolleyes:

And Fox has that stupid map with the huge symbols that basically shows nothing about Iraq other than putting a big "infantry" symbol up in the north...a big "armor" symbol around Baghdad, and what looks like a sunshine symbol where fighting is going on. Other than some good satellite imagery from digitalglobe.com (exclusive to CNN?)... I have yet to be impressed by a single map on any channel.

SkyVon

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is also a blond on Fox that isn't hard on the eyes ;)

I do get a kick out of that black anchor on MSNBC that is always wearing a smirk...regardless of what he's saying.

The award for worst interview goes to CNN who, the other day, had an extremely overweight PRIVATE from GWI in their studio...that was a riot :D NEXT ON CNN, the janitor from Gen. Franks High School will share his views on the war.

I too prefer Fox, though they, like the others, have the same reporting as shown above...I also keep waiting for Geraldo to find a vault to open in Basra. Watched MSNBC for over an hour last night and not once did they mention the issue regarding Peter Arnett...interesting.