C5.51 Turning VCA "in Hex" and necessity of Gun's CA change.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kind of hard for me to come up with a good short description for a thread title but: Does a vehicle that has entered a gun's Hex/Location (gun elects not to fire & keep concealment) and then turns its VCA for another MP still cause the gun to use C5.51 to turn its CA to the hexside the vehicle entered the hex in order to use D1F vs that vehicle based upon the VCA in hex turn MP?:rolleyes:(Hope this description makes sense).
Thanks in advance.

Also an add-on Q. If the vehicle entered the hex from a BP hex/hex-spine, would the gun have to change its CA to the exact hex-spine to comply with C5.51, or is it sufficient to have the hex-spine it entered the hex from in its CA (See definition of Hex/Hex-side in the index) if C5.51 must be invoked?

Last edited:

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
C5.51 doesn't appear to make any allowances for additional MP spent in hex. My take on the rule is that if you decide to fire on a target in your hex during its MPh, you must turn the CA of the gun the least amount possible to include the hexside crossed while entering. Waiting until DF would seem to alleviate this requirement. Probably wrong, but that's my take.

Hemaelstrom

Reaction score
Country
llCongo
To the add on q, since the bypassing vehicle is bypassing a particular hex, then the common hexside (to the BP and entered hexes) would be the one that C5.51 applies to. The BP hexspine might touch the CA, but if the hexside lies outside of it the gun would need to change CA. I think.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It doesn't matter where the AFV resides in bypass, it crossed a hexside to go in bypass in the hex. The hexside OF THAT HEX it crossed to entered bypass is the hexside that would have to be included in the Guns CA to fire during the MPh.

Something else to consider, even if you don't change CA, case E is doubled to +4 in woods/building/rubble.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It doesn't matter where the AFV resides in bypass, it crossed a hexside to go in bypass in the hex. The hexside OF THAT HEX it crossed to entered bypass is the hexside that would have to be included in the Guns CA to fire during the MPh.
However, since a hexspine is also pat of a hex/hexside and since the F-CA of a Gun/Veh includes at least three hexspines, would it be sufficient to have just the hexspine (e.g the CAFP of the formerly BP vehicle) in its CA, or would one have to have the "hypothetical (if not actual) hexside - minus the hexspine - being crossed in his new CA.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's one for one of the experts. The rule reads like it must include the hexside crossed and doesn't really address any different situations for VBM. I'd be interested to hear if there's any different factors in play.

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you are in bypass in B9 and enter a hex with a gun in C10 then the hexside being crossed is the B9/C10 hexside. Your gun CA need only contain that hexside to shoot during the MPh. There is no need to cover both hexsides of your hex that the CAFP vertex of the bypassing vehicle contains. NRBH but I don't recall an exception for vehicles entering your hex via bypass.

Mike