C2.2401 Gun Duel DRMs determined by CMG/BMG.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I read C2.2401 correctly one may use its CMG/BMG to determine the firer's based Gun Duel DRMs (thus obviating the requirement to include being BU) even if those weapon systems are not sufficient to cause any damage to the other vehicle. My question is two fold, 1). Is this correct and allowed? 2). If it is allowed, where in the sequence of fire may the vehicle in question fire its MA should it win the Gun Duel?

The first question has implications beyond just being able to effect the opposing vehicle as if one is allowed to use its MGs as the Gun Duel DRMs it may be able to change its VCA/TCA to a more protected aspect (greater AF) prior to the opposition's shot even if the MA is restricted to firing after the other vehicle's attempt. The second question is fairly obvious, as the MA Gun Duel DRMs were not used to compute the Gun Duel but if allowed to fire immediately following the vehicle's MG attacks and prior to the other player's AFV MA shot, would seem to give them an undeniable advantage to them regardless of the AF protection gained by changing their aspect to the opposing vehicle.

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I think if you declare a shot with with the CMG/BMG, you would use the DRM applicable to that attack. The sequence would be: DFF by defender, Gun Duel declaration with choice of weapon, the winner of the gun duel attacks first, the loser attacks after. Then other weapons can fire DFF & BFF. If you fire a MG you may get to turn your armor faster (which could be useful) but you would not be able to throw in additional attacks (like MA) before the gun duel completed.

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think if you declare a shot with with the CMG/BMG, you would use the DRM applicable to that attack. The sequence would be: DFF by defender, Gun Duel declaration with choice of weapon, the winner of the gun duel attacks first, the loser attacks after. Then other weapons can fire DFF & BFF. If you fire a MG you may get to turn your armor faster (which could be useful) but you would not be able to throw in additional attacks (like MA) before the gun duel completed.

JR
That was my take on it as well. It really is kind of a neat way to present your (usually) superior F-AF to an enemy that has moved around you and the Gun Duel DRMs are more than likely always going to be in your favor (or at possibly equal giving one a 50-50 chance at firing 1st even if it's only with your MGs).

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Per D2.2401 firing e.g., a CMG is treated as if firing Ordnance - for Gun Duel purposes.

"The order of fire for non-ordnance/SW is determined as if it were ordnance [EXC: TH Case A can apply to non-ordnance/SW only if mounted-on/aboard a vehicle that is changing CA; all such non-turret-mounted fire is considered NT for purposes of TH Case C, and A.5 applies to any type of FG]. "

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Per D2.2401 firing e.g., a CMG is treated as if firing Ordnance - for Gun Duel purposes.

"The order of fire for non-ordnance/SW is determined as if it were ordnance [EXC: TH Case A can apply to non-ordnance/SW only if mounted-on/aboard a vehicle that is changing CA; all such non-turret-mounted fire is considered NT for purposes of TH Case C, and A.5 applies to any type of FG]. "
Looked at that as well but couldn't really determine if BU penalty may apply, though I can see that it possibly could especially after re-reading it here and taking a different view.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

What is meant by the second part of the EXC? Is it a standalone EXC, separate from the first part of the EXC? Or are they cumulative?

The only way I can get my head around both applying in a given circumstance would be for a Motion firer.

Can you provide an EX showing how the first and second parts of the EXC would work in practice?

TIA