C1.x OBA Fire Mission Cancellation

Victor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If your opponent forgets to do anything with their ffe1/ffe2/ffec do you have the option to force the cancellation of their fire mission? Or are you lame for not reminding them hehe.
Thanks,
Victor
:D

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
All depends upon the atmosphere you want to create...
Technically, if he did not attempt radio contact, he has voluntarily lost contact - that should cancel the mission.
Now, if the player just forgot to do it, and you would like not to make him suffer as much as cancelling his mission, you could simply force him not to correct/convert the FFE/SR...
I believe that if you keep cool and allow correction of errors, you are giving your future errors more chances of being corrected... :rolleyes:

CHERDE

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
FFE:C C c c

1) A.2 Errors could apply, because the players didnt follow the given regulations in C 1.34.

Folllowing this I would leave the FFE:C counter in place and the enemy with radio contact and still running battery access.

2) Alternatively: But because of C 1.34 3rd sentence,
the failure of the enemy to maintain radio contact,
the expiring of the Access (OBA flowchart, yellow color code)
one can make a strong point to remove the FFE:C counter and to mark No Contact and No Access on the Player aid.

I would prefer the second solution because one might feel uneasy if the A.2 rule goes as far as promoting players to "forget" things.
("Oh , forgot last MPh to remove this 12 RFP in the ground level building covered by 12 highre level counters - sooooo sorry, but now my defence is completely safe."

c

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
CHERDE said:
I would prefer the second solution because one might feel uneasy if the A.2 rule goes as far as promoting players to "forget" things.
It depends who you are playing with... if your opponent tries to voluntarily "forget" things, try to "forget" him and find a more straight minded one...
If you are playing and drinking a good beer and munching at some pretzels and joking, etc. I presume you can play being relaxed and tolerant.
But if this occurs during a contest or championship, I believe one has to be very "legalistic".

da priest

Reaction score
Robin said:
...If you are playing and drinking a good beer and munching at some pretzels and joking, etc. I presume you can play being relaxed and tolerant.
Just depends on how far along you are, if he took some shots that might make his belated OBA use more effective, because he knows the outcome of those shots, then no. Also, his non-use might be a conscious decision, who knows?

But if this occurs during a contest or championship, I believe one has to be very "legalistic".
Yep, in a tourney them's the rules. Only total game destroyers are usually fixed, like incorrect set-up leading to elimination of all his units, because they are outside set-up area.

Victor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for you thoughts gents. In my case my opponent had an offboard observer (probably why he forgot). He had an FFE:1 onboard and he let it ride. Since no radio contact was involved I let him ride and drop FFE:2 a 1/2 turn later. Turns out it made a huge difference since it was smoke oba!! It meant the difference between +2 smoke that would go away quickly and +3 smoke that is still stuck on the board still screwing me over.

Victor
:p

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Victor said:
If your opponent forgets to do anything with their ffe1/ffe2/ffec do you have the option to force the cancellation of their fire mission? Or are you lame for not reminding them hehe.
Where in the rules does it let you force them to cancel the fire mission? If no action is taken and its too late to backup and do it, then the OBA falls where it is, or the spotting round stays in the same place.

You are sometimes forced to cancel your own OBA, but I don't recall anything that would let you cancel my OBA. Of course, this is with no rule book handy (NRBH), and I could be wrong.

I'm going to play "Belated Christmas" in a week and I'm getting into the ASL mood. :devil:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Robin said:
Technically, if he did not attempt radio contact, he has voluntarily lost contact - that should cancel the mission.
This depends on the LOS the observer has to the SR/FFE. See the last bit of C1.22.

In order to use arty effectively on the attack it is important to use this to your advantage. The process is to use the DFPh to place a SR in LOS of your observer, do not roll for contact in the following PFPh, then use the MPh to move up. and plaster the enemy in the next turn's DFPh.

Not that it ever works for me; my observer breaks the radio or gets killed.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Victor said:
In my case my opponent had an offboard observer (probably why he forgot).
An off-board observer that has LOS to the FFE's blast height does not have to do anything, C1.331.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SamB said:
Where in the rules does it let you force them to cancel the fire mission?
C1.22 if an observer voluntarily fails to roll for radio contact and has LOS to the SR/FFE's blast height.

CHERDE

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
C 1.22

Brian W said:
This depends on the LOS the observer has to the SR/FFE. See the last bit of C1.22.

In order to use arty effectively on the attack it is important to use this to your advantage. The process is to use the DFPh to place a SR in LOS of your observer, do not roll for contact in the following PFPh, then use the MPh to move up. and plaster the enemy in the next turn's DFPh.

Not that it ever works for me; my observer breaks the radio or gets killed.
Do I understand You right in the following:
Rule C 1.22 last sentence and next to last sentence say that as long as the observer still has a LOS to SR/FFE Blast Height one does not roll for maintaining radio contact and still has Battery Access and the Fire Mission is not Cancelled?
If so what happens to the SR or FFE?

Please tell me, just learning the OBA rules!

c

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CHERDE said:
Do I understand You right in the following:
Rule C 1.22 last sentence and next to last sentence say that as long as the observer still has a LOS to SR/FFE Blast Height one does not roll for maintaining radio contact and still has Battery Access and the Fire Mission is not Cancelled?
If so what happens to the SR or FFE?
It stays where it is (and is resolved if an FFE). This is true for all involuntary loss of radio contact. Basically, C1.22 is saying that if you (voluntarily) choose not to roll for contact and you have LOS to the SR/FFE, it is treated as involuntary loss.

CHERDE

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
more questions

After reading the rules I understand this :

"It stays where it is (and is resolved if an FFE). This is true for all involuntary loss of radio contact. Basically, C1.22 is saying that if you (voluntarily) choose not to roll for contact and you have LOS to the SR/FFE, it is treated as involuntary loss."

a) is this also true if I roll for maintenance of radio contact and roll to high? IMHO: yes!

b) Is this true if I roll a DR"12" for maintenance of radio contact ?
IMHO: yes!

c) Does this mean that a SR stays in place and remains a SR ?
IMHO: yes!

d) Would a FFE:C be replaced by a SR ?
IMHO: yes, C 1.341 seems to suggest that!

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CHERDE said:
d) Would a FFE:C be replaced by a SR ?
IMHO: yes, C 1.341 seems to suggest that!
C1.341 is a detailed option of what an observer could chose to do if the observer achieves battery access. To get battery access an on-board observer must have radio contact. So, if there is a friendly FFE:C on board at the start of a friendly fire phase and the observer chooses not roll for radio contact, the FFE:C is removed and no SR is placed.