Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
When choosing a pre-registered hex, must the owner choose a hex inside the owner's setup area?

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
No

1. There's no such restriction for Pre-Registered Fire in the rules
  2. Pre-Registered hex is not given in the OB which falls under accompanying setup parameters. It's given in an SSR which is not part of whichever OB group with setup parameters.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
And, if you have a pre-reg hex, you can do pre-game line of sight checks as well since the Pre-reg hex must be within LOS of the observer.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
And, if you have a pre-reg hex, you can do pre-game line of sight checks as well since the Pre-reg hex must be within LOS of the observer.
Hm....I don't see that the pre-reg has to be in LOS of the Observer any where in section C1.7. It has to be in LOS if the Observer wants to "use" its effects - so setting up a Observer an choosing a pre-reg out of LOS seems like an unlikely event.

Or I could be missing something.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I
Hm....I don't see that the pre-reg has to be in LOS of the Observer any where in section C1.7. It has to be in LOS if the Observer wants to "use" its effects - so setting up a Observer an choosing a pre-reg out of LOS seems like an unlikely event.

may be confusing it with boresighting but thought that pre-reg fire was an exception to the no LOS checks rule.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
may be confusing it with boresighting but thought that pre-reg fire was an exception to the no LOS checks rule.
You do get a free LOS check (if setting up first, IIRC) when you have a pre-reg hex(es). But I don't think the rules actually says it has to be in LOS of where the Observer sets up. To benefit from its effect you need a LOS to it though, so setting it up out of LOS does not seem like one would likely do.

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Except at night where the pre-reg hex is outside NVR at start but when the starshells start flying....fire for effect.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland

There are occasions where you might set up a pre-reg that is initially out of LOS. One example: the first day of Festung Budapest CG-II, the Soviets enter from offboard. They get an OBA module with an offboard observer, but they might also want to buy a second for an on-board Observer. With that second module they might want to buy a pre-registered hex.

JR