Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Picture two adjacent hexes A and B containing a single story wooden house. A contains an Allied unit with a DC. B contains an Axis unit.

Hex B is in the blast area of an FFE.

When the Allied unit places its DC in hex B, is it attacked by the FFE of hex B?

If yes, is the unit considered to be in Open Ground or Wooden Building?

Another situation: both hexes A and B are in the blast area of an FFE.

When the Allied unit places its DC in hex B, is it attacked by the FFE of hex A?

If yes, is the unit considered to be in Open Ground or Wooden Building?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Wooden buikding tem applies both times unless the unit has moved into bypass in hex A to lay the DC in hex B in which case it gets attacked as it moves in and not when it lays the DC.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
No attack. All my are spent in hex A.
If both are in the FFE then the mf are still spent in hex A with whatever tem is applicable and ffnam s applicable.
Agreed.

Imagine an enemy unit in a building with a Minefield around. Same thing, no attack on a unit by Mines when they attempt to place the DC. Remember this one well as I played it wrong which cost me the scenario.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Agreed.

Imagine an enemy unit in a building with a Minefield around. Same thing, no attack on a unit by Mines when they attempt to place the DC. Remember this one well as I played it wrong which cost me the scenario.

von Marwitz
An excellent way to learn! 🤔😉

Ok not so excellent but the lesson sticks with you.

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
hi

confused on this one - If the unit placing the DC is in an existing FFE blast hex then I don't think it is attacked.

C1.51 says that during the MPh only units entering a hex are attacked by FFE, units in a hex are only attacked if they make themselves more vulnerable, to my mind that means reducing an existing positive modifier or reducing an existing negative modifier.

As the unit is already in the hex when it places the DC it can thus use assault movement to place the DC, it has not moved into the building hex and it has not made itself more vulnerable so is not attacked.

There is a strong possibility I could be wrong with this thinking!!!! but that's how I would be playing the second situation mentioned

Simon

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
hi

confused on this one - If the unit placing the DC is in an existing FFE blast hex then I don't think it is attacked.

C1.51 says that during the MPh only units entering a hex are attacked by FFE, units in a hex are only attacked if they make themselves more vulnerable, to my mind that means reducing an existing positive modifier or reducing an existing negative modifier.
I'd agree with you Simon...
C1.51 is pretty clear.
It also attacks each unit/stack that is changing position (or becoming vulnerable) within
a Blast Area hex if the unit/stack is becoming more vulnerable to the FFE
than it was in its immediately-previous position

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
hi

As the unit is already in the hex when it places the DC it can thus use assault movement to place the DC, it has not moved into the building hex and it has not made itself more vulnerable so is not attacked.

There is a strong possibility I could be wrong with this thinking!!!! but that's how I would be playing the second situation mentioned

Simon
I believe that I what I was saying, sorry if it were unclear.
There will be an attack if the unit moves into the hex but not when it lays the DC

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I'd agree with you Simon...
C1.51 is pretty clear.
It also attacks each unit/stack that is changing position (or becoming vulnerable) within
a Blast Area hex if the unit/stack is becoming more vulnerable to the FFE
than it was in its immediately-previous position
Of course, they will be attacked in the DFPh unless they continue moving out of the FFE once they've placed the DC...