C:tR questions

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A question for the designer. On the last map (pg BFP25) it shows the 503 RCT dropping roughly around the golf course (from the cover art map). In the CGII initial setup, the Japanese are required to setup at least 8 hexes from JJ17, which is kind of the center of the Parade Grounds.

I am curious, What was the reasoning in keeping the Japanese from around the Parade Ground? I do not see a designer note on this.
Did not see the need for a Designer's Note on the reason for it since all HASL CG's place restrictions on unit set ups and placement and do not normally provide an explanation as to why, but since you have asked.....
For a couple of weeks prior to the airborne drop the USAAF dropped bombs on Corregidor almost continuously. The Japanese hid out in the many tunnels and in the cellars to avoid "aerial death", usually only venturing out after dark to get water or shift positions. They did not expect an airborne drop at all. As had become their normal routine, they simply hid out during the daylight hours. Any positions set up or any guns placed in the open anywhere around the Parade Grounds and the Golf Course had been destroyed multiple times over to clear the way for the paratroopers. Restricting the Japanese from setting up within several hexes of the center point of the Parade Grounds was a game tool to reflect what actually was. Once the American paras were on the ground, the Japanese slowly began to react and moved troops into positions nearer the landing areas to engage the Americans. Allowing the Japanese in the CG to set up on the Parade Grounds was (beyond just being non-historical) gave them just WAYYYYYY to many opportunities to fire at the descending paratroopers, inflicting such substantial early losses and dispersals that the paradrop was a total failure....as happened in the very first playtest of the CG many years ago. So a setup restriction was put into place to solve the problem.....and it did. The Japanese will still have ample opportunities to engage the descending paras from their positions outside the Parade Grounds......guaranteed some paras will drift away from their intended landing areas and come to earth very close to the Japanese positions. Trust me....by turn 2 or 3 at the latest the Japanese will be inflicting some substantial losses on the paras that don't head straight for cover once on the ground.
That answer your question?

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It answers my question. I assumed it was something for play balance, but wasn't sure why the parade grounds vs something around the golf course.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It answers my question. I assumed it was something for play balance, but wasn't sure why the parade grounds vs something around the golf course.
The reason there is no restriction for Japanese set up around the Golf Course is that on the HASL map the area is fairly small.....American player typically attempts few para landings there, concentrating more on the Parade Grounds, the area just north of Topside Barracks, and just west of Parade Grounds as the preferred drop zones. Of course if the Japanese lightly defend "the links" then the Americans should try to para drop more units there as they can quickly get into the officer's residences early on....a key to gaining the Lighthouse and high ground along the eastern edge of HASL map. :)

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A few questions for clarification before I kick off CGII on Sunday...

1. CtR 8.3 DROP POINTS - "Each Drop Point must be 3 or more hexes away from all other Drop Points." In CGII, the highly aggressive and instigating Americans drop in through the course of the first three turns...must they have different drop points just in each turn, or through all three turns? Let's say they select hex JJ17 as a drop point in turn 1...can it be selected as a drop point in turn 2 or turn 3?

2. CtR 8.8 LANDING / INJURIES - Some confusion over "ASL-speak" of the NMC upon landing...regarding building/rubble hexes...does the NMC also apply to landing adjacent to a building/rubble hex?

3. American Reinforcement Group G2 - Is the disassembled howitzer represented by just one 1/2" parachute counter like a regular SW, and the crew is just one 5/8" parachute, or does the disassembled howitzer use more parachute counters? The RG contains 4 howitzers with crews...for air drop, they are just four large and four small parachutes?

4. Japanese CGII OB given FPP - This does not have the asterisk next to it. Can the peace-loving and altruistic Japanese set up their fortifications in the Parade Grounds or anywhere else on the map? (The idea of packing the Parade Grounds with 75 wire counters would be interesting to see.)

Thanks in advance...

Semper Fi!
Scott

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A few questions for clarification before I kick off CGII on Sunday...

1. CtR 8.3 DROP POINTS - "Each Drop Point must be 3 or more hexes away from all other Drop Points." In CGII, the highly aggressive and instigating Americans drop in through the course of the first three turns...must they have different drop points just in each turn, or through all three turns? Let's say they select hex JJ17 as a drop point in turn 1...can it be selected as a drop point in turn 2 or turn 3?

2. CtR 8.8 LANDING / INJURIES - Some confusion over "ASL-speak" of the NMC upon landing...regarding building/rubble hexes...does the NMC also apply to landing adjacent to a building/rubble hex?

3. American Reinforcement Group G2 - Is the disassembled howitzer represented by just one 1/2" parachute counter like a regular SW, and the crew is just one 5/8" parachute, or does the disassembled howitzer use more parachute counters? The RG contains 4 howitzers with crews...for air drop, they are just four large and four small parachutes?

4. Japanese CGII OB given FPP - This does not have the asterisk next to it. Can the peace-loving and altruistic Japanese set up their fortifications in the Parade Grounds or anywhere else on the map? (The idea of packing the Parade Grounds with 75 wire counters would be interesting to see.)

Thanks in advance...

Semper Fi!
Scott
I will try to address these as best as I can.

1. It is as it reads...each Drop Point must be at least three hexes away from all other Drop Points. Just because you have units landing in different turns does not mean you may select the same Drop Points from turn to turn.

2. Yes, the NMC applies if landing in/adjacent to a building/rubble hex.

3. The grand tome does not specifically answer this. I will give you my interpretation and how we played it and how I intended for it to be played in Corregidor.
If you go to Chapter H, US Ordnance Note #12 it describes how beginning in 1945 (the time frame of Corregidor) the US used nine parachutes all strapped together so the separate disassembled pieces did not scatter when dropped. Since you have nine chutes all bundled as one, I equated it about the same as what an entire infantry squad would use when they dropped (one for each man). So, a 1/2" counter for the disassembled pack gun would not seem right. I used a 5/8 counter (which in ASL would represent about 10-15 men each with chutes) and another 5/8" counter for the crew (4 - 7 men). You may disagree with my view, but that is how I addressed it in play testing. Sure wish it was "officially" answered in the RB for certain, but it is not that I could find anywhere.

4. No they may not.....the asterisk is missing in the chart next to the FPP=300 listing. I will report it to Rick and he can add it to the errata. No fortifications may be set up within 8 hexes of hex JJ17.

Hope that helps....good luck.

Sarge

Last edited:

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will try to address these as best as I can.

1. It is as it reads...each Drop Point must be at least three hexes away from all other Drop Points. Just because you have units landing in different turns doe not mean you may select the same Drop Points from turn to turn.

2. Yes, the NMC applies if landing in/adjacent to a building/rubble hex.

3. The grand tome does not specifically answer this. I will give you my interpretation and how we played it and how I intended for it to be played in Corregidor.
If you go to Chapter H, US Ordnance Note #12 it describes how beginning in 1945 (the time frame of Corregidor) the US used nine parachutes all strapped together so the separate disassembled pieces did not scatter when dropped. Since you have nine chutes all bundled as one, I equated it about the same as what an entire infantry squad would use when they dropped (one for each man). So, a 1/2" counter for the disassembled pack gun would not seem right. I used a 5/8 counter (which in ASL would represent about 10-15 men each with chutes) and another 5/8" counter for the crew (4 - 7 men). You may disagree with my view, but that is how I addressed it in play testing. Sure wish it was "officially" answered in the RB for certain, but it is not that I could find anywhere.

4. No they may not.....the asterisk is missing in the chart next to the FPP=300 listing. I will report it to Rick and he can add it to the errata. No fortifications may be set up within 8 hexes of hex JJ17.

Hope that helps....good luck.

Sarge
Quick followup to this post....just noticed that not only is the asterisk missing from the "Fortifications" , the footnote is also missing. Notified Rick to add to the errata.

Footnote - "EXC: fortifications may be set up in/adjacent to buildings/rubble, jungle, and brush hexes". And the errata just keeps on coming. Good catch Scott. You would think that up to ten proof readers would catch them all, but no.....myself included. All the other known errata is on the BFP website for download and sticky notes.

Sarge

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the speedy reply, Sarge.

That was what we thought for question #1, just wanted to confirm. That was how I was looking at question #2...the American player was not so sure. (Ha ha, Dave!) I was hoping for a different answer to question #4 :)...but the added footnote is nice and provides the Japanese player with the ability to plan for the long game.

I went down almost the same logic path regarding question #3...the Chapter H footnote made perfect sense, but I had also been reading the rules for Animal Pack, especially since G10.61 mentions these howitzers specifically.

I thought that G10.3 might apply for unpacking and reassembly of the howitzers, but I do not see any mention of that in the CtR rules...are we to assume that once recovered, the howitzers are reassembled and ready for action after one turn (like other dm support weapons)?

Semper Fi!
Scott

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the speedy reply, Sarge.

That was what we thought for question #1, just wanted to confirm. That was how I was looking at question #2...the American player was not so sure. (Ha ha, Dave!) I was hoping for a different answer to question #4 :)...but the added footnote is nice and provides the Japanese player with the ability to plan for the long game.

I went down almost the same logic path regarding question #3...the Chapter H footnote made perfect sense, but I had also been reading the rules for Animal Pack, especially since G10.61 mentions these howitzers specifically.

I thought that G10.3 might apply for unpacking and reassembly of the howitzers, but I do not see any mention of that in the CtR rules...are we to assume that once recovered, the howitzers are reassembled and ready for action after one turn (like other dm support weapons)?

Semper Fi!
Scott
Yup.....after one turn. That's how we played it.....sorta like limbering an unlimbered gun or assembling a dismantled weapon. Like I stated, no where in the ASLRB could I find any official mention of how to deal with this issue, so we went with what seemed most logical to us based upon what we could find in the ASLRB and took it from there. Until something "official" comes out that is how I would play it. Maybe I can put something together and Rick can add it as a Designer Note sticky.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yup.....after one turn. That's how we played it.....sorta like limbering an unlimbered gun or assembling a dismantled weapon. Like I stated, no where in the ASLRB could I find any official mention of how to deal with this issue, so we went with what seemed most logical to us based upon what we could find in the ASLRB and took it from there. Until something "official" comes out that is how I would play it. Maybe I can put something together and Rick can add it as a Designer Note sticky.
I've actually already added this to the Q&A, so we should be good. This and the rest of the (sticky) errata is up-to-date on the BFP website dated Feb 5, 2019.

JoelH

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What is the level of the thick black wall depiction of Battery Geary?
1/2 or 1?
Thanks.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You are a sick and depraved ASL player. I'm angry I did not think of this so that I could be shot down via Q&A first.

My ASL Fu is becoming weak, very weak.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1/2 or 1?
Thanks.
Neither. Easiest way to think of this is any unit in a Gun Battery (not in the powder magazine) including the outer walls of said gun battery are one level below the surrounding terrain. Think of them as being in a cellar of a building....even the outer walls are below ground and form the perimeter of the gun battery. Unit in the powder magazine is one level below that. A unit in the gun battery must be in Crest status to see anything beyond the adjacent hexes outside of the gun battery. See CtR 2.1 errata on the BFP website. Hope that helps. Back to work now...

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1/2 or 1?
Thanks.
You need to reference CtR Rule 2.3. The black line isn't a wall, per se, but represents the jagged wall/terrain around the battery that remained after the explosion. Any LOF that crosses the black rowhouse line gets a +2 DRM, but that's it. No wall advantage, no blocking of LOS for hexes beyond it, etc.

JoelH

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You need to reference CtR Rule 2.3. The black line isn't a wall, per se, but represents the jagged wall/terrain around the battery that remained after the explosion. Any LOF that crosses the black rowhouse line gets a +2 DRM, but that's it. No wall advantage, no blocking of LOS for hexes beyond it, etc.
Thank you. I guess this battery (Battery Geary) is at the same level than the terrain around it. Can this battery be bypassed like a building?
Thanks.

JoelH

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
See CtR 2.1 errata on the BFP website.
There isn't a CtR 2.1 errata on the BFP website and the Battery Geary is an exception amongst the other batteries. It is not a level -1 depression hex since CtR 2.1 says so.

Davidgamer

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CGII questions
1.If an OBA or NOBA module is retained may any offboard or shipboard observer change it’s recorded location?
2.Page BFP 12 CG II scenario victory conditions conflict with page BFP 24 12.5214 CG scenario missions: victory conditions. Which is used?

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CGII questions
1.If an OBA or NOBA module is retained may any offboard or shipboard observer change it’s recorded location?
Yes

2.Page BFP 12 CG II scenario victory conditions conflict with page BFP 24 12.5214 CG scenario missions: victory conditions. Which is used?
I'll get errata out on that one. The paragraph on pg 12 should reference 12.5214.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There isn't a CtR 2.1 errata on the BFP website and the Battery Geary is an exception amongst the other batteries. It is not a level -1 depression hex since CtR 2.1 says so.
I should have been more clear. The gun batteries (EXC Geary) are all at Level -1. Since most of the outer walls of Geary were blown away it is treated as the same as the adjacent surrounding terrain. IF a LOF crosses the thick black bar which represents what is left of some of the wall of Battery Geary, then that LOF is affected. If the LOF does not cross the thick black bar then it is not affected. Photos show almost no concrete walls left.....mostly just dirt and it has caved in so that there is a gentle slope down into Geary now.....nothing to hold the dirt back which basically is what the outer walls were there for. It is also a concession to make all the batteries the same....even though in reality they all had slightly different designs. That help?

Davidgamer

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
  1. are all buildings stone?
  2. 1.7 cellers are always considered fortified, why is fortified cellar listed on the fortification purchasing table?
Both list multihex buildings as having cellers. If some multihex are not wood disregard question.
  1. Does the cinima have any special rules?
  2. My sleazy opponent is trying to purchase Japanese V2 APC Sect. II as M3(a) LT and not M3A1 Scout cars, ruling please?
  3. is there a count of printed stone building/rubble locations? I am getting ahead of myself, but this will come up during endgame.
Thanks in advance and for earlier clarification.