Bypassing Resid & a few odd questions

SonOfTheNorth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My buddies and I need a bit of clarification of some things that for whatever reason are not obvious to us from the rulebook:

1) When using Bypass to skirt a building, and there is resid in the hex that shares the hex-side you're walking, do you take the resid? (We think yes, because Resid in inherent terrain.)

1a) If there is resid in both hexes, do you just take the larger? (We think that sounds right)

1b) If there is smoke in the adjacent hex of the hex-side you're bypassing, does it cost you the extra +1 MF of walking through smoke? (We have no idea)

1ba) Do you get the benefits of smoke in that hex if someone fires at you down the hex-side you're bypassing? (sounds reasonable)

1bb) What if they are firing through a LoS that does not pass through the Smoke? (*shrug*)

1c) If someone fires at you while you are in Bypass what happens to the resid? Does it end up in the hex you were bypassing? (we think yes)

1d) If a unit fired from the East into a building and left resid, and you bypass that building on the West side, do you still take the resid? (We think yes, even though it doesn't make sense, because resid is inherent terrain again)

2) When you bypass between two buildings, do you need to declare which building you are bypassing? (we assume so, even though it doesn't seem to make a difference unless you end movement there)

3) When you lay down a fireline that ends because of a building, does the fireline affect the building hex? (for some reason one of our group thinks that the bullets just bounce off the building)

4) When you mop-up a multi-hex building containing broken squads with SW, do they bring you their SW upon surrendering?

5) What counter is used for SMC prisoners? I couldn't find one in BV.

Thanks for any clarifications you can offer.

Dale m

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
1) Yes but you get the TEM of the building plus FFNAM if applicable
1a) when bypassing you are always in one hex or the other - you take the Residual of the hex the object you are bypassing is in
1b) Ditto
1ba) You get the Smoke DRM if the incoming fire touches or crosses the Smoke, so yes
1bb) Ditto, so yes if you are in the hex with the Smoke no if you aren't
1c) See 1a
1d) Yes, if you are going to get worried about things that don't make sense then ASL is not for you
2) Yes, it can make a big difference, see above.
3) Yes
4) All units drop SW before surrender in all cases (not just mopping up)
5) The original counter, you just need to remember. If he escapes he is immediately armed and good order (unless some other condition means he isn't e.g. Broken)

Last edited:

DrDeath

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My buddies and I need a bit of clarification of some things that for whatever reason are not obvious to us from the rulebook:

1) When using Bypass to skirt a building, and there is resid in the hex that shares the hex-side you're walking, do you take the resid? (We think yes, because Resid in inherent terrain.)

1a) If there is resid in both hexes, do you just take the larger? (We think that sounds right)

1b) If there is smoke in the adjacent hex of the hex-side you're bypassing, does it cost you the extra +1 MF of walking through smoke? (We have no idea)

1ba) Do you get the benefits of smoke in that hex if someone fires at you down the hex-side you're bypassing? (sounds reasonable)

1bb) What if they are firing through a LoS that does not pass through the Smoke? (*shrug*)

1c) If someone fires at you while you are in Bypass what happens to the resid? Does it end up in the hex you were bypassing? (we think yes)

1d) If a unit fired from the East into a building and left resid, and you bypass that building on the West side, do you still take the resid? (We think yes, even though it doesn't make sense, because resid is inherent terrain again)

2) When you bypass between two buildings, do you need to declare which building you are bypassing? (we assume so, even though it doesn't seem to make a difference unless you end movement there)

3) When you lay down a fireline that ends because of a building, does the fireline affect the building hex? (for some reason one of our group thinks that the bullets just bounce off the building)

4) When you mop-up a multi-hex building containing broken squads with SW, do they bring you their SW upon surrendering?

5) What counter is used for SMC prisoners? I couldn't find one in BV.

Thanks for any clarifications you can offer.
You seem to be confused as to where you are when you are in bypass. You are only in one hex. You are not on the hexside although you are bypassing alongside it. So if you are in bypass of a building you are passing along the hexside between the building and the edge of the hex. You may not use bypass if the building or woods you are bypassing touches that hexside. If there is resid IN the hex you are bypassing you will take that reside but I believe you get the TEM even though you are not in the building or woods. Resid in an adjacent hex does not affect you. Likewise you would not pay extra movement factors if there is Smoke in an adjacent hex.

A firelane will affect the hex it ends in but again you would receive the TEM of that hex.

A unit will drop any support weapons it is carrying when it surrenders. It does not bring you "gifts"

SMC are kept on a side note as there are no official counters to represent them although I think a third party may have produced some

Stick with it- it will come

:skull:

SonOfTheNorth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks a lot for the clarifications guys. This is quite a surprise that you are actually "in" the bypassing location since to us it looked like a way to "cheat" around open-ground Resid that is adjacent to a building hex. Also surprising is that you get the TEM for bypassing when Resid is in your building (or woods) hex, since we were assuming you were in the open ground portion of the hex.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The LOS has to go into, through, or out-of SMOKE for it to have an effect and the LOS Hindrance needs to be between the firer and target [EXC: if SMOKE/FFE and in the firer's/target's hex].
If "between" is determined using the the range in hexes, then SMOKE in the other hex for a LOS down a hexspine will not effect the attack. There was a thread (and a Q&A sent) on this matter awhile back.

Old thread: http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?109105-Bypass-and-SMOKE-Adjacent

Last edited:

SonOfTheNorth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The LOS has to go into, through, or out-of SMOKE for it to have an effect and the LOS Hindrance needs to be between the firer and target [EXC: if SMOKE/FFE and in the firer's/target's hex].
If "between" is determined using the the range in hexes, then SMOKE in the other hex for a LOS down a hexspine will not effect the attack. There was a thread (and a Q&A sent) on this matter awhile back.

Old thread: http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?109105-Bypass-and-SMOKE-Adjacent
Okay, just to be obtuse: when drawing LoS to a unit in bybass, is the LoS to the center of the bybassed hex, or just through the hex-side you are traversing? (this is probably in the rulebook, but I can't find mine at the moment)

SonOfTheNorth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
DrDeath;1639198If there is resid IN the hex you are bypassing you will take that reside but I believe you get the TEM even though you are not in the building or woods. Resid in an adjacent hex does not affect you.[/QUOTE said:
Sorry to belabor this, but it keeps coming up as a question in our games:

Say there is a wood building in the center of the hex and the ATTACKER is bypassing on the Left side of the hex

a) the DEFENDER fires at the unit from the left (that is, the unit is between the DEFENDER and the building), is the DRM: -1 FFNAM, -1 FFMO?
b) the DEFENDER fires at the unit from the right (that is, the building is between the DEFENDER and the ATTACKER), is the DRM: -1 FFNAM, +2 Wood Building?

(by "between" above, I mean intersecting the LoS)

Thanks for your patience (took me a bit to refind this thread)

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If you are bypassing then you are in open ground so FFMO will apply (I know you might be in brush or grain but lets assume it is open).
You drwaw the LOS to one of the bypass vertices.
If your LOS is clear then FFMO will apply.
If yor LOS clips the object being bypasssed then there is no LOS so the shot is blocked.
Residual left in the hex cannot remember where it is fired from and thus the bypassiung unit gets the building tem and no FFMO but this is not applicable to the first shot.
If you check LOS to the vertex and there is no LOS then you do not leave residual.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
a) the DEFENDER fires at the unit from the left (that is, the unit is between the DEFENDER and the building), is the DRM: -1 FFNAM, -1 FFMO?
b) the DEFENDER fires at the unit from the right (that is, the building is between the DEFENDER and the ATTACKER), is the DRM: -1 FFNAM, +2 Wood Building?
When a unit is shooting at a bypassing unit is needs to have a LOS to said unit - so Case b is NA, since there would be no such LOS.

See e.g., the A4.34 example in the rulebook.

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
Anyway check 31.13 for some exceptions if bypassing a narrow street

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
If the units don't drop the SW, then the Enemy units will get SHOT!