Country
llCanada
A squad and a leader start the movement phase in K3
The want to bypass the trees in L2 crossing hexside K2 L0 for 1 MF
They continue bypassing the M2 hexside a second MF
They then bypass the trees in M3 along the M2 hexside for another 1 MF
enter N2 for a 4th MF
Then then move into N2 for 1 MF and O3 for a 5th and final MF

Because of 4.43 "If a unit is using Bypass (including VBM) along a Crest Line, and the obstacle it is Bypassing is on the higher level of that Crest Line, then the unit is also at that higher level."

This says to me that they are not required to pay to go up the hill into N2 because they are already there.

Is my MF expenditure correct?

See attached picture

bypass on a hill.jpg

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Correct, when at the vertex when bypassing, you are still considered at level 1 because you bypass the obstacle and not the crest line.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
L2 needs no bypass, btw,.as the cost of three hex bypass is 2MF - the cost for moving into the woods.
A vehicle could opt to bypass to avoid bog - but that wotld cost it 8 MP if (half-)tracked.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
In the same situation, an alternative path is to bypass L2/L3 (in either hex), then enter M3, then either bypass N3 or enter N2, to move to O3. Same 5MF, but in most situations it will be safer (any enemy with a clear LOS to the L2/L3 hexside, or just the initial vertex, likely also has LOS to the start of the L2 bypass anyway).

SSlunt

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
In my particular case - it is night and my unit is not cloaked so it would cost an extra 1MF to enter the woods hex. Hench the stroll around the woods.