Bypass of Obstacle at crestline

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A4.34...If a unit is using Bypass (including VBM) along a Crest Line, and the obstacle it is Bypassing is on the higher level of that Crest Line, then the unit is also at that higher level (since a Crest Line itself cannot be Bypassed; 4.3).

In the above diagram, the woods in H3 appear to be at level one rising to level 2. The woods in H4 touch the crestline.

What is the MF cost to move from H2 to H5 while bypassing the woods in both hexes?

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
In this instance I would say you can't bypass the woods due to their covering ( it appears ) the entirety of the upper gradient.

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ah, gradient is inherent, woods are not ?

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A4.3 BYPASS: Bypass enables unbroken Infantry to move through a building/woods hex
without entering the obstacle in that hex (and consequently having to pay the two MF cost of actually entering a building or woods),
whenever that obstacle does not physically touch the hexside being Bypassed.
A4.31 The movement cost of Bypass becomes that of the
other terrain in the Location—usually one MF for Open
Ground or two MF to enter higher elevation Open
Ground
The rules basis for the answers given.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
As all terrain in ASL it's a bit of an abstraction - the woods needs to touch the actual hexside to prevent Infantry bypass....that it covers all the Level 2 hill depiction doesn't matter...
That's what I figured. Just seems odd to be paying 2 MF to bypass along open ground when the woods prevent the moving unit from gaining elevation.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As Klas stated, the art is an abstraction. I find it best to apply the rules as written and avoid the natural tendency to overthink them. 4.3 and 4.31 lead directly to the answers given. The art just deceives us.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's what I figured. Just seems odd to be paying 2 MF to bypass along open ground when the woods prevent the moving unit from gaining elevation.
How about a tank in bypass, floating in the air ?