Bypass movement Costs with wall involved, A4.3 & D2.3

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Using the example found in A4.31, if the Squad in D3 were instead to move in bypass of D4 to E5 along the D4-E4 side of the building it is my understanding that they would not have to pay the additional MF to cross the wall E4-E5 at the vertex as the squad is moving within the hex of D4 as per movement noted in A4.31. However, If the squad were instead an AFV and wished to accomplish the same move it would have to pay the MP cost to cross the wall at the vertex D4-E4-E5 because though it is also bypassing the building in D4 it is required to traverse the hexside D4-E4 (D2.3 & especially D2.32), a requirement that doesn't seem to be there for Infantry Bypass. Have I been applying this wrong, like forever; and if so how is it incorrect? Must the Infantry pay the cost to cross the wall or is the AFV not required to pay the COT to cross the wall even though it traverses the hexside?

Last edited:

buser333

Reaction score
View attachment 16876
Using the example found in A4.31, if the Squad in D3 were instead to move in bypass of D4 to E5 along the D4-E4 side of the building it is my understanding that they would not have to pay the additional MF to cross the wall E4-E5 at the vertex as the squad is moving within the hex of D4 as per movement noted in A4.31. However, If the squad were instead an AFV and wished to accomplish the same move it would have to pay the MP cost to cross the wall at the vertex D4-E4-E5 because thogh it is also bypassing the building in D4 it is required to traverse the hexside D4-E4 (D2.3 & especially D2.32), a requirement that doesn't seem to be there for Infantry Bypass. Have I been applying this wrong, like forever; and if so how is it incorrect? Must the Infantry pay the cost to cross the wall or is the AFV not required to pay the COT to cross the wall even though it traverses the hexside?
It is my understanding that the infantry do not pay for the wall in this case.
It is also my understanding that vehicles bypass similar to infantry. In fact, if you were to hold up a counter to measure the space between the obstacle being bypassed and it touches the hexside then there is no room. The hexside is just where you place the vehicle, not where it is moving. That's why there are the VBM counters. That's my understanding anyway.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
View attachment 16876
Using the example found in A4.31, if the Squad in D3 were instead to move in bypass of D4 to E5 along the D4-E4 side of the building it is my understanding that they would not have to pay the additional MF to cross the wall E4-E5 at the vertex as the squad is moving within the hex of D4 as per movement noted in A4.31. However, If the squad were instead an AFV and wished to accomplish the same move it would have to pay the MP cost to cross the wall at the vertex D4-E4-E5 because thogh it is also bypassing the building in D4 it is required to traverse the hexside D4-E4 (D2.3 & especially D2.32), a requirement that doesn't seem to be there for Infantry Bypass. Have I been applying this wrong, like forever; and if so how is it incorrect? Must the Infantry pay the cost to cross the wall or is the AFV not required to pay the COT to cross the wall even though it traverses the hexside?
I didn't fully understand your question, but here is my answer. To move to C5 neither Infantry or Vehicles have to pay wall cost. To move to D5, both infantry and vehicles have to pay the wall cost. To move around the building the other direction, the only wall cost required is to enter D5 for both infantry and vehicles.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think D2.32 talking about traversing the hexside is just for LOS and target facing, not MP costs.
Is IT? B25.14 & B25.6 seems to indicate the opposite as B25.14 says a burning wreck will only spread to same location burnable terrain whereas B25.6 indicates a burning wreck in bypass will spread to either hex of the hexside it straddles if burnable terrain exists therein thus intimating it must be considered in either/both locations. Also, D2.3 makes a special effort to indicate the vehicle is traversing the hexside (which would of course include the vertexes), a statement that is not in A4.3 for infantry bypass. I would be more than willing to buy off on Jeff's interpretation as that is how I once played it but I'm not sure for VBM that is correct the way the rules are written.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Even during VBM along a hexside, you are still only in one hex....e.g., you wouldn't add 1 MP for SMOKE in the adjacent hex across the hexside. Nor would an FFE in the adjacent hex attack the VBMing vehicle.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Even during VBM along a hexside, you are still only in one hex....e.g., you wouldn't add 1 MP for SMOKE in the adjacent hex across the hexside. Nor would an FFE in the adjacent hex attack the VBMing vehicle.
That's reasoning I like. I was arguing my for opponents position for the most part and am glad it's viewed as being conducted within the interior of the hex the obstacle being bypassed is in even though the rule reads traversing the hexside and not traversing the interior part of the obstacle hex along that hexside.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
My understanding is that you pay the hexside cost if you move to one hex to the other of the hexside (as pointed out by Klas, you are in one hex or the other, so this is well defined). So in the case of moving to D5, movement is from D4 (bypassed) to D5, hence D4-D5 hexside, hence wall cost.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
...it's viewed as being conducted within the interior of the hex the obstacle being bypassed is in even though the rule reads traversing the hexside and not traversing the interior part of the obstacle hex along that hexside.
I think D2.3 says (sort of) one is "within the interior of the hex":

"...The vehicle is moving around the obstacle within the hex—not through the obstacle..."