Bypass from Woods Road

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello,
I think I understand part of this... let's see.
If a vehicle moves along the road from Q9 to Q7, then wants to move into P6, it must first make a bog check
to leave the woods, but pays only 1MP for the OG hex, correct?
What if it wants to move into bypass of R6? Can it do so without a bog check? Can it do so at all?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
  1. That seems correct to me.
  2. A Bog Check is necessary in that case. [Edit: Previous sentence corrected.] But the Q6/R6 hexside seems to be close to the edge of the Woods depiction. Maybe too narrow for bypass.
von Marwitz

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I don't think a Bog Check is necessary in that case. But the Q6/R6 hexside seems to be close to the edge of the Woods depiction. Maybe too narrow for bypass.
A bog check would be necessary to leave a woods-road hex across a non-road hexside, despite the pictorial depiction of the woods.

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Thanks.
I always forget about the narrowness rule...
I never forget this anymore since the day I drove on key Panther down a hill into (supposed) bypass of some woods. Not enough space, my move was stopped cold. To add insult to the injury, the only way out was moving in reverse uphill at outragous MP cost. Which basically put that darn tank out of the game for the purposes of that scenario.

von Marwitz

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
If a vehicle moves along the road from Q9 to Q7, then wants to move into P6, it must first make a bog check to leave the woods, but pays only 1MP for the OG hex, correct?
What if it wants to move into bypass of R6? Can it do so without a bog check? Can it do so at all?
It's a Bog Check in either case, and you also have to pay the woods MP cost to enter the woods portion of the hex before exiting.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Where do the rules say that? I thought it was so but I couldn't find it.
B13.421:
"...Any vehicle that enters a woods hex via a road must take a Bog Check when exiting the hex via a non-road hexside as it enters the woods portion of the hex."

I've always assumed that this means you pay the woods MP as well, as you would if you just moved into the woods portion and stopped there.

... and we have this Q&A:

B13.42
May a vehicle on the road in a woods road hex exit via a non-road hexside by only taking a bog check and paying the COT of the
hex to enter? Or must the vehicle first enter the woods at woods COT and take a bog check prior to being able to exit via a nonroad
hexside?
A. No. Yes.