bypass and over-stack

kraigssams

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A single story building contains three full squads and a leader. if another stack of three squads and a SMC bypass the building is there an overstacking penalty? I think its two separate locations which would negate overstacking but I cannot find a rule to confirm this.

kraigssams

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ok thanks. is there a rule to confirm or is it the lack of a specific rule that confirms this

kraigssams

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
found it. thanks. I should have looked up the definition of Location in the index first.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
If you are in LOS and range of an armed enemy, moving such a way is extremely dangerous.
If the bypass is across Open Ground you get -5 DRM (FFNAM/FFMO + overstack penalties).
Note, too, that your stack will be paying 4 MF (+3 overstacing MF penality) to bypass along two hexsides, which gives as much DFF opportunities to a given enemy unit firing at it.
All brokies and pinned guys will finish their MPh in the building, adding overstacking penalties to the guys who were previously inside it.

Your example is the demonstration of the "do not stack" tactical rule's validity, that players learn the hard way...

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Resurrecting an old thread here:

Suppose that three squads are located in a building. Three motor cycles carrying three squads enter into bypass around the building location and remain there. During the subsequent DFPh, an enemy unit that has LOS to the squads in the building but not to the bypassing motor cycles fires at the building. Do overstacking penalties apply?

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If your opponent is going to move in large stacks, do NOT stop him during the game.
Explain it to him in the after-game discussion, as to why it is not a good idea.
Unless he is an utterly new player, then ask him "ARE you sure you want to move that way?"

fzmann

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If your opponent is going to move in large stacks, do NOT stop him during the game.
Explain it to him in the after-game discussion, as to why it is not a good idea.
Unless he is an utterly new player, then ask him "ARE you sure you want to move that way?"
When playing a new player, wouldn’t it be better, when explaining stacking, to point out the pro’s and con’s of stacking especially while moving?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
When playing a new player, wouldn’t it be better, when explaining stacking, to point out the pro’s and con’s of stacking especially while moving?
<shrug> Like all things ASL....it depends.

Your opponent's first time sitting at the mapboard? I would strongly hint that it is not a good idea...but it is his game. After the first game or two, he is on his own and his cardboard (it is after all only cardboard) will suffer the consequences.

Best way to point of pros/cons of something like that is painful experience.

fzmann

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
<shrug> Like all things ASL....it depends.

Your opponent's first time sitting at the mapboard? I would strongly hint that it is not a good idea...but it is his game. After the first game or two, he is on his own and his cardboard (it is after all only cardboard) will suffer the consequences.

Best way to point of pros/cons of something like that is painful experience.
Agree 100% with that last sentence.

However, I’m envisioning pre-game set up orientation/chat/kibitzing before actual dice rolls start flying.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Agree 100% with that last sentence.

However, I’m envisioning pre-game set up orientation/chat/kibitzing before actual dice rolls start flying.
When teaching new players I would try to emphasize such things before playing. It's a lot to absorb and the lessons that stayed learned were those learned when playing.

" You can lead a newbie to knowledge but you can't make him think till you eliminate his units due to FTR. "

From Old Expressions ASLified. I am not above pimping my own threads.😉

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
When teaching new players I would try to emphasize such things before playing. It's a lot to absorb and the lessons that stayed learned were those learned when playing.

" You can lead a newbie to knowledge but you can't make him think till you eliminate his units due to FTR. "

From Old Expressions ASLified. I am not above pimping my own threads.😉
For some reason that was the lesson hardest for them to learn. I suppose it's just learning to think ahead and not just your options but perhaps more importantly your opponent's options.